VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Based on testing all the PC's in my collection - 1990's computers till present day, age is based on how useful a PC is in today's world. For how old a computer is in comparison to people years is based on the age of its cpu. I think the Pentium MMX 166MHz-233MHz are 65 years old - Just on their way out in terms of being useful at all on the internet. You can try to use a super light Linux like "Delicate Linux" but don't push it too hard. Pentium IIs around 233MHz-450MHz are in their late 50's to early 60's. Nowhere near as efficient as modern PCs, but there are some good linux to try like "AntiX" that are said to run well on the hardware. In todays world, P6 core cpus are usually the oldest generation to be supported under linux. Pentium IIIs 450MHz-1.4GHz are in their early to mid 50's. I can still go online With Windows XP on a Pentium III 1.0GHz with 768MB ram (More expensive PIII PC) and have OK performance, but you need to use lighter browsers like K-melion to be useful. Don't expect much online video performance. I typically get 144p video with slow framerate. I also used Zorin Linux Lite which ran good enough on the hardware. I reccomend lightweight Linux on a Pentium III equivalent PC, because after 1 month of using WinXP on a PIII with 512MB ram it got so slow I had a hard time copying to a usb drive due to so little remaining resorces. By the way, Windows XP is still very useful in 2015. Avast antivirus claims to support XP until somewhere in 2017 at least. For the remainder of this guide I'm skipping some of the newer Intel cpus since I don't use them, but Pentium 4s I used to use and most P4s are as fast as Athlon XPs. AMD Athlon XP computers (i'm using one right now!) are the minimum for a PC for typical online use without compromising much. (Around 45 years old.) You need at least 1GB of ram today if using Windows XP on the internet. Thats how much ram is with my Athlon XP 2400+ pc i'm using now. It runs pretty good considering it age being a little over 10 years chronologically. But you can't run Skype because Athlon XP lacks SSE2. Windows 7 should work as long as you have at least 2Gb ram. You could also try Linux too. Many should work acceptably. AMD Athlon 64s are relatives of the same design that the much newer Phenom IIs use. (Mid to late 30's.) Still very useful. Should do most PC tasks except high end gaming, should run Youtube too, but just make sure you have a decent video card to play 1080p. You can run Windows 7 well on this system if you have 2GB+ ram. I'm not sure if Windows 8 will run as it needs newer cpu instruction sets (SSE2, PAE, etc) But Athlon 64s have SSE2 and can be great for Skyping. All modern Linux should work, but remember that Linux has driver problems and won't work with some video chipsets, sound cards, or wireless adapters. this applies to just about all Linux versions. Early Dual cores like AMD Athlon 64 X2 or Intel Core 2 Duo are in their early 30's. Should work great for most tasks, if meeting my ram requirements said earlier. High end Intel Core 2 Quads and the very first Core i7s (2008) are in their late 20's. Still a lot of life left in those. Windows 8 should work good. as well as 7 or Linux. AMD Phenom IIs and the first AMD Bulldozer PCs are modern era cpus. (Early to mid 20's.) Brand new AMD Kaveri APU PCs and the latest Intel Core i7s produced today are 18-20 in people years. If you're unsure about what are the chronological age of some of these cpus listed, check Wikipedia. Pentium IIs are 1997-1999 and Athlon 64 were first produced in 2003, for example. Hope this long and comprehensive guide helps many people! 😀

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 34, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me, Win98 era stuff, is basically too old. Say 100+. WinXP stuff is retired stuff, wich means 65+ Win Vista (was that still-born?) the same as 50+ Win7 is in it's prime, wich are 35/40+ and finally Win8+ is like the new young hot stuff 0 to 30+ What is MS-Dos era then? Uhmmm... I kind of think on pre-95 stuff as something wich had it's life extended by cloning and evil master's, lurking deep down in the misty mountains. Or some nekromacher in the caves in a world like Diablo-1. Could just say that our beloved Dos machines are our own personal zombie-buttler. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 34, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

haha I must be a very patient guy. I dig up the dead PCs to command my zombie-PC army! 🤣

Last edited by computergeek92 on 2015-06-04, 21:23. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 34, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

computergeek92:

Interesting comparison... very unorthodox.
I don't exactly agree with your numbers though. Perhaps some people even might find it offensive. 😊
Anyway - I would put it this way:

Pentium MMX: 120
Pentium II: 115
Pentium III (1GHz): 100
Pentium 4 < 2GHz: 90
Pentium 4 3-4GHz: 80
Athlon 64 : 75
Pentium D: 75
Athlon64 X2: 70
Core2 Duo: 65
Core2 Quad: 55
Phenom II: 50
FX-8300: 45
i7 s1366: 40
i7 1155: 35
i7 1150: 30
i7 2011: 25
i7 2011-v3: 20

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 34, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How can a FX-8300 be 45 when it is a cpu still being sold new on Newegg recently?... As I say, it all depends on what you use it for. You must be a high end gamer! 😀

Reply 5 of 34, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess I am. 😈
The whole FX line is just... bad in my opinion. Their single-thread (or lets say less than 4 threads) performance is very poor, power consumption high. Even the old Nehalem i7 will outperform FX in most tasks. Lets hope Zen will be better.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 6 of 34, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:

haha I must be a very patient guy. I dig up the dead PCs to command my zombie-PC army! 🤣

Like this:

hail_to_the_king_baby_by_gorangligovic-d35onfs.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 34, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on your useability parameters. If browsing the Internet is all you mean, then everything I'd say:
- Haswell - Early 20's: Young and can do anything
- Nehalem - Mid-30's: Not that young, but gets everything done without having trouble
- Core-2 era stuff - Late 30's, early 40's: The better/healthier PCs can still get everything done, the lower end ones are starting to show their age
- Pentium D-era stuff: Mid to late 40's: Still gets most shit done, but might need some help here and there
- Late Pentium 4/Athlon 64: 50's - Can get arround with the necessary support (vídeo acceleration), but already struggles in a lot of situations. Windows 10-TP already dropped support to some of them.
- Earlier P4/Tualatins/Athlon XP: Early to mid 60's - Won't perform that well, can't do everything, but will get you there on lighter tasks. Tualatins/AXP have the extra issue of not supporting SSE2.
- Coppermine/Athlons: Late 60's - Retired. Will choke on heavier pages, and be sluggish all around.
- P2/Early P3/K6-3: 70's - Forget the modern internet, Might get you there if all you want is browsing for a few patches for old software and VERY light pages.
- Pentium/PMMX/Cyrix M2/K5/K6: Early 80's - Same as above, but will need more patience
- 486: Mid to late 80's - Has that "I can still do it" factor for lighter pages, but even then will be a test of patience
- 386: 90's - Can still at least run something that looks like an OS and go online (WfW/Win95)... theoretically
- 286: 100+ - Well... maybe if you install DOS and some version of Arachne you might be able to see Google's front page... kind of...
- 8088: 110+ - DOS+mTCP will let you access FTP! And maybe WGET (HTGET) some things!!!!!!! And that's it.

Surprisingly enough, none of them are fully dead (130+), as they can still do SOMETHING in a modern network.

Reply 10 of 34, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brilliant post alexanrs! Souped up everything I said and paired it better, being more realistic for everyday pc use. PRAISE to the other well thought out posts too! 😉 And after all, my own version answers the question: "Is it possible??" The answer is: Well, yes.. You can. But that is if you have the patience, willpower, and means to do so.

Reply 11 of 34, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

At the rate technology changes and increasingly resource hungry games render old technology unusable, a person can be born, live their entire lives, and die in a span of 2 years.

Nah... PCs used to be obsolete much faster in the 90's/early 2000's. My 5-year old Acer laptop still owns the Internet... and it isn't a higher end one (Pentium Dual Core). Also, it runs Windows 7/8/10 with no trouble and is generally reasonably snappy. Only issue is the slow HDD, so it doesn't load as fast as my desktops. This is way more than I can say for a Pentium 133 (highest Pentium in 95) in year 2000.

computergeek92 wrote:

Brilliant post alexanrs! Souped up everything I said and paired it better, being more realistic for everyday pc use. PRAISE to the other well thought out posts too! 😉 And after all, my own version answers the question: "Is it possible??" The answer is: Well, yes.. You can. But that is if you have the patience, willpower, and means to do so.

Thanks =) The only TRUE limitation for old PCs when it comes to browsing the internet is.. well... browsers and patience.

Reply 12 of 34, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😊 I get it for the PC usage, but in human terms what is the basis of comparison?
If I understand you correctly I think the majority here in the forum are Athlon64 (be sure to participate in the "What's you age post" as it seems to be a subject of your interest. Here you have What is your age? ).
But please explain what do you mean. We are, for instance, Athlon64, at doing what, in human terms?
Thanks.

Reply 13 of 34, by RDRAM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great post, I'm 35, and always did love old hardware-software, old women , everything that's old, coz in my head OLD=BETTER QUALITY, at 20 had a 37 girlfriend, and at 25 a 51 , now I'm married to a 49 y.o woman. We got a 29" 1992 Sony Triniton TV and watch old Chuck Norris and Arnold movies and I drive a 1972 Chevy ..., try to find out the pschycology meaning but didnt find it.... , are you guy in the same boat?

Reply 14 of 34, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't beat a good MILF... I just need to find one who is rich enough. 😁

-----------

On a more serious and topic appropriate note, I always see machines as being in their own bubble and not really aging. As such, I envision my 486SX from 1994 as being around 45-50, but I also envision my 286 from the 1980's as being early 20's and because I have nothing better to do, I picture some 80's chick with big hair wearing business attire, though the 486 has always made me see the image of a drunken old prostitute which seems about right as it commonly has hardware from other machines inserted into it's slots, has to mess with floppies for them or ends up being the machine used for network file transfers, has by far clocked up the most operating hours of any machine I own. It's taking a back seat over time as I move to using the K5 for this stuff, but I don't see it as getting older, I just see it as it taking on a different job as it's still the most dependable thing I own.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 15 of 34, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Using "chick years" as an analogy for computer age... that's, well just hilarious! 🤣

- Intel core i3/5/7 series (and any AMD equivalent) are 18-25 year old chicks; too young to be of much interest to me (I'm 45).
- Core2 duo /quadro series are 35 - 40 years old. Proven (experienced), sophisticated and beautiful. Just as I like it. 😈
- Athlon 64 variety are about 45. Aged well, sentimentally attractive (you have been with them for soooo long) and still carrying their beauty and grace.
- Anything older: 50+ Well, It would be like being attracted to your granny, so no. They are good for very nice and nostalgic conversations about good old days, though. 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 16 of 34, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣

tayyare wrote:
Using "chick years" as an analogy for computer age... that's, well just hilarious! :lol: […]
Show full quote
HighTreason wrote:

Using "chick years" as an analogy for computer age... that's, well just hilarious! 🤣

- Intel core i3/5/7 series (and any AMD equivalent) are 18-25 year old chicks; too young to be of much interest to me (I'm 45).
- Core2 duo /quadro series are 35 - 40 years old. Proven (experienced), sophisticated and beautiful. Just as I like it. 😈
- Athlon 64 variety are about 45. Aged well, sentimentally attractive (you have been with them for soooo long) and still carrying their beauty and grace.
- Anything older: 50+ Well, It would be like being attracted to your granny, so no. They are good for very nice and nostalgic conversations about good old days, though. 🤣

🤣 I'm 39 and I find you hit the nail on the head with this. Guess you can say I like the Core 2 chicks as well!

Reply 17 of 34, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh, the Core 2 was just an ugly old whore (P3/Mobile Celeron) disguised and tarted up for a night out...

No joke, when I first read about them I thought that it was a Mobile chip, I mean, the Pentium D was still new, why would they replace it with something slower? I laughed at my friend the day I met him because he said he owned one (E6000 series) and I thought he must have one of those PCChips mobos which took laptop crap, thought he was a total noob. I was horrified when I went to his house and found a so-called gaming machine running this Core 2 Doodoo thing... It never worked, went through several motherboards and was painfully unresponsive, often beaten by my rig.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 18 of 34, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

>core 2

>slower than netburst

hahahah oh wow. The Conroe I have gets /twice/ the score than Presler at the same clock rate (that is, 3 Ghz E6850 versus 3 Ghz 925) in GeekBench.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 19 of 34, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HighTreason:

Well, if twice the performance is "never worked" ... 🤣

Pentium D 945 @ 4GHz = 95 points
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3,8 GHz = 184 points