VOGONS

Reply 20 of 34, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HighTreason is cursed. Any Core2-based processor that gets near him goes down in flames. Guess Intel rained crappy bins where he lives or there is something in his workflow that triggers issues on the processors. As for me, my E6700 runs laps around my older Pentium-D 925 it replaced, and that on a crappy VIA-based motherboard. It actually extended the life of that PC a great deal, and it is currently working as a main machine for my younger brother... Of course, we are comparing the highest dual-core Conroe my board supports and a mid-end Pentium D.

Reply 22 of 34, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I realize this thread is all in good fun and more than a bit "tongue in cheek" but as one of the older forum members ( I'm 40, not sure what the average age is, I would have thought it skewed more 30-50 than 18-35 but who knows) I can't help feel it is a little ageist (which is again something I did not think I'd catch myself saying but getting up there in years, I'm starting to notice these things).

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, really. I've known 70 years olds that were as healthy as people half their age and I've known people in their early 50s that have so many health problems you would have thought they were 20 years older. And even more scary, I'm seeing more and more young people that I think are middle age (because they take such horrible care of themselves) and then I find out they're only 25.

I guess what I'm saying is it's a journey we're all eventually going to make, hopefully we will all be so lucky that we don't have to end the journey prematurely.

On that note, I will end with a bit of Python: if we're comparing computers to people then the XT is totally all "But I don't want to go on the cart! I'm not dead yet!"

Reply 23 of 34, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HighTreason hates Core2 because it came out right after and took the spotlight over his first dual core love, the Pentium D. HT I thought about sending you my extra Core2 (E6400, my very first dual core!) at one point when all you had was your PIII, but I had this strange feeling the poor little guy would end up dead shortly after.

Reply 24 of 34, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
snorg wrote:
I realize this thread is all in good fun and more than a bit "tongue in cheek" but as one of the older forum members ( I'm 40, n […]
Show full quote

I realize this thread is all in good fun and more than a bit "tongue in cheek" but as one of the older forum members ( I'm 40, not sure what the average age is, I would have thought it skewed more 30-50 than 18-35 but who knows) I can't help feel it is a little ageist (which is again something I did not think I'd catch myself saying but getting up there in years, I'm starting to notice these things).

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, really. I've known 70 years olds that were as healthy as people half their age and I've known people in their early 50s that have so many health problems you would have thought they were 20 years older. And even more scary, I'm seeing more and more young people that I think are middle age (because they take such horrible care of themselves) and then I find out they're only 25.

I guess what I'm saying is it's a journey we're all eventually going to make, hopefully we will all be so lucky that we don't have to end the journey prematurely.

On that note, I will end with a bit of Python: if we're comparing computers to people then the XT is totally all "But I don't want to go on the cart! I'm not dead yet!"

I can understand your point of view, but as you really can't seriously compare pc to humans, one cannot be offended.

Reply 27 of 34, by RDRAM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:
Using "chick years" as an analogy for computer age... that's, well just hilarious! :lol: […]
Show full quote
HighTreason wrote:

You can't beat a good MILF... I just need to find one who is rich enough. 😁

Using "chick years" as an analogy for computer age... that's, well just hilarious! 🤣

- Intel core i3/5/7 series (and any AMD equivalent) are 18-25 year old chicks; too young to be of much interest to me (I'm 45).
- Core2 duo /quadro series are 35 - 40 years old. Proven (experienced), sophisticated and beautiful. Just as I like it. 😈
- Athlon 64 variety are about 45. Aged well, sentimentally attractive (you have been with them for soooo long) and still carrying their beauty and grace.
- Anything older: 50+ Well, It would be like being attracted to your granny, so no. They are good for very nice and nostalgic conversations about good old days, though. 🤣

So my friend you're sleeping with a hot granny, if this' your rig:
GA-6VTXE PIII1000 512MB
GeForce2 Ultra 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D II 12MB x2 SLI (finally!..)
SB AWE64 Gold+SIMMCONN 32MB
120GB PATA Samsung, 80GB PATA Seagate, 140GB SCSI Compaq
Adaptec AHA29160
3Com 3C905-TX-M
MSDOS 622+Windows 3.11/95 OSR2.5/98SE

By the way, love to put a P3-S 1.4 512Kb on tha board!, does it have good caps?

Reply 28 of 34, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RDRAM wrote:

Great post, I'm 35, and always did love old hardware-software, old women , everything that's old, coz in my head OLD=BETTER QUALITY, at 20 had a 37 girlfriend, and at 25 a 51 , now I'm married to a 49 y.o woman. We got a 29" 1992 Sony Triniton TV and watch old Chuck Norris and Arnold movies and I drive a 1972 Chevy ..., try to find out the pschycology meaning but didnt find it.... , are you guy in the same boat?

I like my women young, my cars middle aged and my hardware old 😁. My fiancee is 25 (i'm 30) and I drive a 1989 BMW E30. My car is actually one year older than my fiancee 😁

Reply 29 of 34, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RDRAM wrote:
So my friend you're sleeping with a hot granny, if this' your rig: GA-6VTXE PIII1000 512MB GeForce2 Ultra 64MB Diamond Monster 3 […]
Show full quote
tayyare wrote:
Using "chick years" as an analogy for computer age... that's, well just hilarious! :lol: […]
Show full quote

Using "chick years" as an analogy for computer age... that's, well just hilarious! 🤣

- Intel core i3/5/7 series (and any AMD equivalent) are 18-25 year old chicks; too young to be of much interest to me (I'm 45).
- Core2 duo /quadro series are 35 - 40 years old. Proven (experienced), sophisticated and beautiful. Just as I like it. 😈
- Athlon 64 variety are about 45. Aged well, sentimentally attractive (you have been with them for soooo long) and still carrying their beauty and grace.
- Anything older: 50+ Well, It would be like being attracted to your granny, so no. They are good for very nice and nostalgic conversations about good old days, though. 🤣

So my friend you're sleeping with a hot granny, if this' your rig:
GA-6VTXE PIII1000 512MB
GeForce2 Ultra 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D II 12MB x2 SLI (finally!..)
SB AWE64 Gold+SIMMCONN 32MB
120GB PATA Samsung, 80GB PATA Seagate, 140GB SCSI Compaq
Adaptec AHA29160
3Com 3C905-TX-M
MSDOS 622+Windows 3.11/95 OSR2.5/98SE

By the way, love to put a P3-S 1.4 512Kb on tha board!, does it have good caps?

No I'm not!.. We just make some very nice and nostalgic conversations about good old days, as I mentioned above. However, my main rig is a Core2 Quad. 🤣:

Wow, thanks a lot for the heads up!. I just checked and realized that it is capable of driving Tualatin chips. I hastily interchanged with a very similar but not Tualetin capable board, so I did not bother to check. My bad. You really sure it is ok for Tually 1.4, yes?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 30 of 34, by RDRAM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, the only difference was a change in the AGTL+ BUS Voltaje and a socket370 pinout change, to limit the competition for P4 Willamete.
Was a 'so and so' simple mod to do in those days, but you're board is already Tualatin native, if you can get a 1.4-s (512kb cache) amazing , there are very few, otherwise a Celeron 1,3 SL6JT stepping, with a good VRM can easily do 1,73ghz (reached 1,82ghz stable aircooled in winter)

Reply 31 of 34, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There many Tualatin 1.4 GHx chips on ebay. Prices range from 6.99 to 30 USD, but I don't know what the differences are (Tualatin was almost always out of scope to me, due to PIII boards that I already have). Dı you have osme idea about what steppings should I look for and is there any should I avoid? This is what I'm about to order:

SL5XL Intel PIII 1400/512/133 TUALATIN CPU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SL5XL-Intel-PIII-1400 … E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Same guy has another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SL6BY-Intel-PIII-1400 … =item58bf2fb3a6

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 32 of 34, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Eheh I must be really old if I am using as high end pc a K62-500 and second pc a 486DX4-100...

I think that the age really depend on what we need. With some problems on modern coded webpages I still get to surf almost with no problems on the K62 but obviously I'm not talking about a smooth-touchscreen-zoomable surfing experience. Internet as we used to see, just information.

I would consider an Ahlon XP-3200 a 40 y.o. guy, an Athlon 1000 a 55 y.o., hte K62-550 a 65 y.o., the Pentium 100 a 75 y.o. and the 386 a still active 90 y.o. guy. 😁

Reply 34 of 34, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computergeek92 wrote:

Say, so what OS and browser do you use with your trusty K6-2 500? Also how much ram?

The motherboard support maximun 384Mb of PC100 CL2 and that's what I have. As browser I find perfectly usable the great Opera 9.x versions.
Obviously I am not someone that began with today standard where a similar web experience would be a pain compared to a touchscreen-pinch-zoomable-octa-core-web experience, so I prefer the old "click and wait" style like you did in the past century.