VOGONS

First post, by The_Pope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again, people. I haven't been here in years.

I need your help with a project. I don't know what you think of it, but I want to make clusters out of the best parts from previous hardware generations.

First systems will be based on the Pentium III (with the Tualatin core) and perhaps the K5. I'm hoping to be able to install Windows 2008 Datacenter Edition on these, and have them work together as a cluster.

The next systems will be based on Pentium Overdrives, because of a sort of an internal joke: what's the best 486? Why, the Pentium Overdrive, of course! And repeat for the Pentium Pro. The best Slot 1 processor is actually Slot 2 and I already have a complete computer with dual Pentium III and RDRAM. Needs repairs or even parts replaced, but at least it's there.
Money is not really a problem, but I kind of lost hope about availability. I would love to get some single or dual Slot 1 motherboards with the 440LX chipset and install Pentium II Overdrives at 333 MHz on them. But apart from the P2 Overdrive being elusive (yes, I have checked Ebay, I think I found one) I could not find those Slot 1 to Socket 8 adapters at all. And before you say "just install a proper Pentium II" you should know that it has to be this way, I only need the LX because it has SDRAM and AGP, I basically want a Socket 8 system. I'm sure some others will understand this logic as well.

Anyway, I think I found a few Pentium Overdrives for sale on the web and I already have one of my own. At this point I would only need one more, the PODP5V83. The big problem is the motherboards. I need Socket 3 motherboards with the UMC "8810" chipset, like the Shuttle HOT 433. I have seen people talking about it around here, years ago. I need at least four, depending on if my other motherboards with this chipset can be made to work. It doesn't matter what hardware version it is, I think I have access to the latest BIOSes for both hardware versions 1-3 and 4 (honestly, I think it was on archive.org!)

I will buy one AT power supply for each motherboard, equip it with the Pentium Overdrive and as much RAM as possible. By the way, has anyone tried a 128 MB stick on it? I only have two 32 MB and I don't know if I should venture into buying 64 or 128 MB modules (from MemoryTen) because I understand those are kinda exclusive to more professional products, like the Pentium Pro machines. All Shuttle HOT 433 boards have four RAM slots, up to a whopping theoretical total of 512 MB. Win XP flies with so much RAM, I'm hoping Windows 2003 Datacenter will, too.

Oh, I'm Romanian and I have Paypal, so there's no problem about that. Anyone in the EU will have it super easy to send me a package, while anyone in the US will get a US address to ship to. A friend of mine has it, I think it's one of those mail forwarding services.

Please PM me with any offers, okay?

Stop the world...I want to descend.

Reply 1 of 6, by PCEnthusiast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The_Pope wrote:
Hi again, people. I haven't been here in years. […]
Show full quote

Hi again, people. I haven't been here in years.

I need your help with a project. I don't know what you think of it, but I want to make clusters out of the best parts from previous hardware generations.

First systems will be based on the Pentium III (with the Tualatin core) and perhaps the K5. I'm hoping to be able to install Windows 2008 Datacenter Edition on these, and have them work together as a cluster.

The next systems will be based on Pentium Overdrives, because of a sort of an internal joke: what's the best 486? Why, the Pentium Overdrive, of course! And repeat for the Pentium Pro. The best Slot 1 processor is actually Slot 2 and I already have a complete computer with dual Pentium III and RDRAM. Needs repairs or even parts replaced, but at least it's there.
Money is not really a problem, but I kind of lost hope about availability. I would love to get some single or dual Slot 1 motherboards with the 440LX chipset and install Pentium II Overdrives at 333 MHz on them. But apart from the P2 Overdrive being elusive (yes, I have checked Ebay, I think I found one) I could not find those Slot 1 to Socket 8 adapters at all. And before you say "just install a proper Pentium II" you should know that it has to be this way, I only need the LX because it has SDRAM and AGP, I basically want a Socket 8 system. I'm sure some others will understand this logic as well.

Anyway, I think I found a few Pentium Overdrives for sale on the web and I already have one of my own. At this point I would only need one more, the PODP5V83. The big problem is the motherboards. I need Socket 3 motherboards with the UMC "8810" chipset, like the Shuttle HOT 433. I have seen people talking about it around here, years ago. I need at least four, depending on if my other motherboards with this chipset can be made to work. It doesn't matter what hardware version it is, I think I have access to the latest BIOSes for both hardware versions 1-3 and 4 (honestly, I think it was on archive.org!)

I will buy one AT power supply for each motherboard, equip it with the Pentium Overdrive and as much RAM as possible. By the way, has anyone tried a 128 MB stick on it? I only have two 32 MB and I don't know if I should venture into buying 64 or 128 MB modules (from MemoryTen) because I understand those are kinda exclusive to more professional products, like the Pentium Pro machines. All Shuttle HOT 433 boards have four RAM slots, up to a whopping theoretical total of 512 MB. Win XP flies with so much RAM, I'm hoping Windows 2003 Datacenter will, too.

Oh, I'm Romanian and I have Paypal, so there's no problem about that. Anyone in the EU will have it super easy to send me a package, while anyone in the US will get a US address to ship to. A friend of mine has it, I think it's one of those mail forwarding services.

Please PM me with any offers, okay?

Had to said, wow! I'm romanian too, and i have PayPal too!

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 200 Mhz, 1360x768, Realtek AC 97 HD, Genius Model. NO KB-0120, ATi Radeon Sapphire 9600 SE

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@The_Pope, Vogons has a "new" no trade allowed here policy. Please do not ask for parts and such here.
Also please don't listen to that other guy, he is our newest troll

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

@The_Pope, Vogons has a "new" no trade allowed here policy. Please do not ask for parts and such here.

He wanted to get XP on a slow as hell system, hows that trolling?

Reply 5 of 6, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:
Dominus wrote:

He wanted to get XP on a slow as hell system, hows that trolling?

Using stolen pictures from the web? Right 😀

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 6 of 6, by The_Pope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Oh crap. I can sense this is because of some deals gone bad. Sorry. You can delete the whole thread if you want.

I don't care about trolls. They just implode eventually.

Stop the world...I want to descend.