VOGONS

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys,

Got this board a while back that had a minor case of a leaking battey, it worked though and I removed the battery as soon as it arrived. The board was relatively undamaged with the exception of a trace between pin 8 (+5v) I believe of the AT power connector and pin 4 which had some signs of corrosion that I had planned to address later.

Of course, with the board working and other projects etc... I forgot! Earlier today I was testing a new motherboard recieved this morning (yay!) but before I mounted the new system I wanted to make sure I was dismantling a working system. Pop! went the old system and came that burnt component smell we have all experienced at some time or other.

Not exactly a great start... but I managed to narrow it down to the open circuit and this yellow resistor type component... does anyone now what it is, it's likely ratings, and where I can find a spare part?

This board is too young to die... and should have a long and healthy life ahead of it!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• unknown component.jpg
    Filename
    unknown component.jpg
    File size
    158.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    What is the damaged part?
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Track corrode.jpg
    Filename
    Track corrode.jpg
    File size
    180.07 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Ignorance is not bliss
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 13, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be a "tantrum" capacitor. Pretty notorious for literally blowing up like the one in the photo. Might as well replace both, as alexanrs suggested.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5 of 13, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

That would be a "tantrum" capacitor. Pretty notorious for literally blowing up like the one in the photo. Might as well replace both, as alexanrs suggested.

I bet there are a bunch of them. In fact I already see a third.

Reply 6 of 13, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Tantalum capacitor. They are pretty notorious for short circuiting and smoking/popping.

+1

I've had to replace three now on two separate motherboards. Its funny watching them smoking, it looks a matching being lit. 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 7 of 13, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I've read from others experiences, tantalum caps either suddenly fail catastrophically like that, or they last forever. I've never heard of anyone replacing a tantalum cap because it was out of spec.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 8 of 13, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses.

There doesn't seem to be any markings that would indicate ratings, and my DMM doesn't do capacitance. The only way to measure them properly would be to isolate one and put it up against a cap-meter?

The one in the photo was connected to +5v, so will look for one similar online with a rating of around 2-3x this?

Does anyone know a good source online where I can just order a bunch of them?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 9 of 13, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

From what I've read from others experiences, tantalum caps either suddenly fail catastrophically like that, or they last forever. I've never heard of anyone replacing a tantalum cap because it was out of spec.

Yea, this is the first time i've required to change these little things, the big caps are no probs and are easier to identify, also with having the markings on their side.

Reply 11 of 13, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This tends to happen when tantalums are left unpowered for a very long time (years). I'm not sure if environmental conditions also contribute.
I think if such a board is powered up periodically the tantalums will last basically forever. Realistically, stuff is going to sit around though.

When powering up a board that one considers high risk for a tantalum tantrum, I wonder if using an adjustable power supply would be a good strategy. It might be possible to "warm them up" slowly that way. Hook up to each rail in turn, starting at a very low supply voltage and slowly increasing it. Once they've been broken back in, they should be safe to use normally, I think.
Just a theory - I don't have the equipment to do it, and I guess not many people do. It might also be complicated by the possibility that some circuits won't switch on until some voltage is met, and then the downstream tantalums would still get a rude awakening.

Reply 12 of 13, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand what you're meaning in the general sense, though not sure if it applies here... I attributed it to the open circuit as the track has now completey corroded away. The system may not work well either on a lower voltages that are gradually incremented... lower voltages generally mean higher currents and as a byproduct produce more heat.

Reply 13 of 13, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

/\ Lower voltages only mean more current if you keep the power draw constant. This would be the case, for example, in a VRM that is able to compensate for lower voltages. In a normal circuit, if you feed it lower voltages, the impedance will still be the same, therefore the current will be lower as well.