VOGONS

First post, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to everyone!

I am having some issues on my 5x86 with S3 cards on Windows 3.11. The mouse cursor is sluggish after installing the drivers.
Tried both S3 Virge and S3 Trio64V+ (which are similar to eachother) with same problems, no matter of the resolution.
Using generic VGA driver this doesn't happen (no lag in cursor movement)

Would really like to know if there is a better PCI or VLB card for DOS / W3.x usage, or if there is any problem with S3 cards performance on W3.x

Thanks 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally got the PS/2 mouse header working on this machine. It performs a little better than serial mouse but its still not right.
Could someone please share their experience with S3 cards running on W3.X?

Many thanks 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the usual. Change PCI slot, check PCI settings and IRQs in BIOS. I don't think the graphic cards or the drivers to be faulty.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you enable interrupts by jumper on the card?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 6, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The S3 Virge I am testing looks like this:
http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/zaatharen/s3 … geDX4MB_fhq.jpg

Should the IRQ jumpers be the ones near the connector?

Noticed that the problem may be while changing between mouse cursors.
The mouse cursor disappears for a moment when changing them (eg: windows resize). It's not too bad performance, just not smooth as it should be.

Swapped the Virge card for ET6000 PCI and the issue was gone. I think the Tseng Labs card may be less compatible with DOS games so I would like to use that S3 card, if I could figure out what's wrong with W3.X