VOGONS

AWE 32 price spike on E-bay?

Topic actions

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen several recently posted at $100 and up. Is this a temporary upswing, a few people trying to drive the price up or a reflection of the true value? I didn't realize AWE 32 cards were that rare.

Reply 2 of 60, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best place to buy retro hardware is on forums (obviously not on Vogons, since you're not allowed to do that sort of thing here). Eventually you'll get a reputation within that particular online community as a collector of retro hardware and people will just start giving you or selling you stuff for next to nothing. At least, that's what I've learned. Also, don't be too shy to browse your local classifieds and charity shops.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 4 of 60, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

The best place to buy retro hardware is on forums (obviously not on Vogons, since you're not allowed to do that sort of thing here). Eventually you'll get a reputation within that particular online community as a collector of retro hardware and people will just start giving you or selling you stuff for next to nothing. At least, that's what I've learned. Also, don't be too shy to browse your local classifieds and charity shops.

Is that sort of thing more appropriate for the Vintage Computer Forum?

Reply 5 of 60, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AWE32 is priced at insane prices. Seriously, they're pricing them like Roland hardware. I bought four AWE32's on ebay last year for $60 shipped, with memory on them.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 6 of 60, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The fact that the AWE32 has a broken poorly made OPL3 clone, low quality capacitors, unrealistic sheet specs and a throng of other undesirable characteristics make it interesting that people are willing to pay that much for it.

In fact I got my AWE32 for free... and I still don't want it. Yuck.

Reply 7 of 60, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
raymangold wrote:

The fact that the AWE32 has a broken poorly made OPL3 clone...

Probably need to be more model-specific with that statement. The CT2760, CT3900, and CT3980 have the Yamaha-produced CT1747 bus-interface chip, with integrated YMF262.

Reply 8 of 60, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.... They are roughly the same price as or just a bit more expensive than GUS.
I am really glad that I got a hold on my CT3900 at a seriously redicilous low price of 15 US Dollars including shipping.

The "true value". Hmmmm... Just don't know about that. For a starter, the AWE32 is extremely versatile.
On the other hand, the 64 is better when looking at sound quality in terms of noise and such.
Yeah... I pretty much don't understand why the spike in prices in 32's.
It should really be the 64 and especially the Gold that shoud rise in price.

On the retro gamer thing. Yeah... I think the reason is partly because of the rise in console prices.
Dreamcasts, NES, SNESS, N64 and all those machines are pretty much too expensive now a days.
Amiga's and C64's are expensive too. A-1200 are going for 220 to 300 dollars where Voodoo2's can be found
online, for all in between 8 and 30 US Dollars here in Denmark.

So it might be a new wave of retro gamers spiring up all ower these day's, as prices are going up.
Those retro gamers that are too young to have enough money for consoles.
Or it might just be a new breed of retro gamers. Those who prefer computers over consoles.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 60, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of the AWE32's combine a good OPL implementation with decent sound quality, easily expandable memory and daughter board support (a little buggy at worst).

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 11 of 60, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it might be time to sell my CT3670

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 12 of 60, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will keep mine. It's part of the collection, sitting in the box'o hardware for use in a distant future.
Don't want to sell mine. The CT3900 is a really impressive looking piece of hardware.
If I can get a hold on a GUS MAX, then it will be used for a nice 80486dx2 MS-Dos-6.22 machine.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 60, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As an alternative, you could always look at the Sound Blaster 32 (the one with the Vibra 16 chipset).
There are still plenty of them available.
The CT3930, for example, also comes with a pair of 30-pin SIMM sockets, uses the same EMU8000 chip than what you have on the AWE32 plus, it has the Yamaha OPL3 chip on board (not the Creative CQM synthesis).
Once you plug some memory onto the card, then you have the same functionality of the AWE32 in terms of loading larger soundfonts.

Downside is that it doesn't have a Wave Blaster connector, also suffers from the MIDI hanging note bug and there is no treble or bass support in the software mixer (the latter a "limitation" of the Vibra 16 chipset).
The CT3930 is non Plug 'n Play but, there were some SB32 models that were Plug 'n Play (I think that some of these did not have a Yamaha OPL3 chip).

Reply 14 of 60, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

Some of the AWE32's combine a good OPL implementation with decent sound quality, easily expandable memory and daughter board support (a little buggy at worst).

Actually, one variant of the AWE32 with OPL3 and the philips amp has one of the *worst* OPL3 implementations known to man kind. Very muffled and zero bass output. It's not the philips' fault, Creative didn't create the output properly and didn't use proper components. A guy by the name of "OPL3music" has recordings of this atrocious card on youtube. He doesn't use it anymore because of that.

So yeah... *VERY* few AWE32s have both the 'good' output coupled with a real OPL3 chip. And even then, all you get is a crappy ROMpler with it (and we start the whole cycle of 'what's the point' of it when other cards do what it does better: now it's even more useless of a card with terrible prices).

Reply 16 of 60, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use the digital output for OPL3 and you won't have to worry about the amps, crappy or otherwise.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 17 of 60, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

Use the digital output for OPL3 and you won't have to worry about the amps, crappy or otherwise.

Regrettably, this is a concept that has yet to gain any sort of widespread adoption, despite being one of the better reasons to own one of the OPL-based AWE32 cards.

Reply 19 of 60, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got my CT2760 for $20 shipped on eBay.. I guess it was over 15 years ago now. Hard to believe it's been that long.
I should have bought 20 of them. They were common as dirt back then. I'm really nervous about this thing spontaneously dying, and then I'll probably never be willing to pay what it costs to replace.