VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Originally I got an old computer almost free that had the heatsink installed like this, which is wrong. The wrong installation had damaged the edge of the CPU core. Do you think this is still usable or should I just buy a new CPU for this motherboard? I don't even know if the motherboard works, I got it working when I obtained it, but then I had to remove it from the chassis.

Full image: http://oi61.tinypic.com/adl088.jpg

adl088.jpg

Full image: http://oi62.tinypic.com/1sm4vl.jpg

1sm4vl.jpg

Reply 1 of 18, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably not, but I've had a few Coppermine PIIIs work with minor die damage in the past.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 3 of 18, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Based on my experience I'd say this one is dead. You might be lucky, but I'd say it's less than 20% chance that it works.

1982 to 2001

Reply 4 of 18, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're not the first one there, try it out to find if it works. I'd say it should be OK. The only AthlonXP I've seen without chipped edges is NOS I bought from China. All the others had this thing and most worked anyway.

Reply 6 of 18, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it could still work! I used to have a crumbled Duron 1000 that was in similiar shape
and it ran for 2 years at 1333MHz until it got replaced by a 1800+ Palomino 😁

I would give it a chance to "POST" before recycling it.
These cpus should become rare since they were low-end 14 years ago.

But that is just my guess out of experience.
When I started collecting, old hardware was cheap and in abundance, but today the prices are just crazy.

Reply 8 of 18, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd also say try it out and see if it works. Looks like it might still work.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 11 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Problem is that shock will travel trough the chip and that can break it from inside.
But, I think that one will work 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 12 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going with it'll work. Only casue its already in the system.
I would fit the heatsink better and try, nothing to loose

Reply 14 of 18, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why are you even questioning it before you even try it? You got nothing to lose. I've dealt with a number of coppermines and Athlons where the die got chipped around the edges and they were fine.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 15 of 18, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again,

I finally got some free time and did do a lot today starting from the morning. I had cleaned the CPU earlier this week and after cleaning the it, the CPU didn't look that bad as I initially thought. Earlier this week I had bought some thermal grease and applied it. This was the first time ever I had installed a heat sink myself and I'm happy that it went well.

10df90y.jpg

The biggest problem after installing the heat sink was not the CPU. It did work and computer booted, but I just couldn't get any signal from the S3 Trio video card. So the screen was black all time. I did try with some other old video cards too, but they didn't either work. So I spent extra hours when having to remove the motherboard a couple of times. I suspected a short circuit, but after examining the bottom of the motherboard, couldn't find any evidence of it.

Finally got it anyhow working, but don't still know what was reason for the black screen on computer startup. (The motherboard is AK75-EC and had never heard of it before I got this PC.)

6r8038.jpg

According to the BIOS, the CPU temperature was also okay, so the CPU was not damaged. After this I also installed Windows 98, replaced some IDE cables, new hard drive etc, DVD drive, so there was quite much to do. Finally installed my old Sound Blaster Live (CT4670) card that works well, but doesn't sound as good as I expected in DOS mode when tested some games.

30xeexz.jpg

Reply 16 of 18, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
markot wrote:

Finally got it anyhow working, but don't still know what was reason for the black screen on computer startup. (The motherboard is AK75-EC and had never heard of it before I got this PC.)

That's OK. They say, electronics is a science of contacts. If one of a hundred contacts is lost, nothing works. Therefore the easiest way to try to repair an electronic device is take it apart and put it back together. Sometimes things just work afterwards 😀

Reply 17 of 18, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, the damage was not so bad, it was just the 1st pic that made it look bad!

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 18 of 18, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess that wasn't enough to kill it.
Sadly the damage on mine was. At least I got it for free with the motherboard.

CAM00228[1].jpg
Filename
CAM00228[1].jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7