VOGONS

First post, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Basically I have been going though my huge closet full of parts the past couple months and have been sorting stuff I out so I can start listing stuff on ebay and get some space cleared out. While doing this I came across the Fury MAXX packed away that I had forgotten I still had. Ended up listing it up at $49.99 starting bid with free shipping. Seems like a fair starting price.

Part of me says no no keep this sucker, since I know it is kinda rare and interesting, but honestly it seems like it is problematic finding ATX boards I want to use still that it will work in. I have probably only put in maybe 30 hours on my Fury MAXX across maybe 10 games total. What I tested ran, and ran well in fact, except it seems like I did have to turn one gpu off for a game or two to work correctly. I forget which ones, maybe one of them was Quake 3, but it seems like there was stuttering in the frame rate. I think that is what caused me to just film and review it and pack it away initially. It was like an itch that needed to be scratched, and once I did I was ready to move on to other things. Going back and testing this card again, I feel the same way. I just don't feel mind blown by the thing. It seems good, but doesnt have that WOW factor going for it.

For me it seems like no matter how good the competition may be from ATI etc, I always end up wanting to stick with just 3DFX or Nvidia for 98 and ME machines and rarely ever use Kyro, Radeon, Rage 128 cards for more then a few days at a time for testing. So anyway, anybody here with extensive experience with this card that cares to chime in and maybe convince me to keep it? Am I missing some sort of untapped power? Or at least advice on how to best utilize it that I can pass on to a buyer if it sells on my ebay auction? Is there any games at all that are even optimized for it, or rather that it is optimized for?

Reply 1 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably quite viable for some games, but a GeForce 256 is faster and more flexible. I think there are fluidity problems with the early ATI AFR, and we also know ATI drivers weren't amazing back then.

Reply 2 of 9, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was a decent card for its time, but It doesn't work in dual GPU mode in Windows 2000 or XP - just fine in 98SE though.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3 of 9, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my experience, on mid to high framerates, the result is very good.
But on the low side of fps, the stutter is huge.

So you have to play the "correct" games on it, with newer ones you should go on the Geforce2+ road.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 4 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

It was a decent card for its time, but It doesn't work in dual GPU mode in Windows 2000 or XP - just fine in 98SE though.

I've never heard that before - very interesting to learn. Is it a driver problem or something with the way 2k/XP changed how 3D accelerators are treated? Admittedly I don't know much about the MAXX so I've been watching this thread to see what "new info" pops up, and this certainly fits into "new info." 🤣

Question on the MAXX: doesn't it *only* use AFR, like the XGI Volari cards? So aren't there games that can't work with its AFR feature then? (like the XGI Volari cards)

Reply 5 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From what I gather, AGP doesn't support multiple devices. A Maximum PC article said the MAXX enumerates one GPU as AGP and the other as PCI.[1] Apparently this doesn't work on NT5. Ooops. Voodoo5 works differently.[2]

Windows 9x is probably the best choice for a Rage card anyway though.

Reply 6 of 9, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, it was hardware incompatible with the NT core. I seem to remember some hacked up drivers that would allow the card to "work" but they essentially disabled one of the rage chips. Probably not worth it since the card is crippled on these NT core operating systems.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 7 of 9, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I never tried to use the card in anything other then 98 and ME. Everything I read pretty much told me that Xp and Win 2k was a no go. If it wasn't for the fact that my closet is overflowing with pc parts I'd just probably leave the thing in a box tucked away, but as is I cant think of any reason to justify keeping it when I have so much stuff as is. I'm never going to run out of parts for personal use 98 era machines, for at least another 20 years anyway, so I really just need to let this one go along with some other stuff. Going to drop the price of my MAXX to $44.99 low bid to see if that generates more interest or something.

I have other oddballs too like a couple of Kyro II cards and a Real3D Starfighter that I just don't need. Funny issue with the Kyro II cards I noticed. On Quake 2 with these cards installed if I try to run the game with cd audio for the music, the game stutters and runs less then 10fps. Remove the cd and the game runs full speed. Only happens when the Kyro II is installed. Install a different card and the problem is solved. Eventually I will get around to listing them too I guess.

Reply 9 of 9, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah Kyro is more common. If I remember right mine have had the stock cooling removed and replaced with larger cooling options. But either way, just not a fan of those cards. They really choke on Direct X 8 games. Really oddly enough my current favorite old card, though not that old, is my AGP Geforce 6800.