VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all,

I bought a Logilink PC0005a VT6421a sata card with two SATA and IDE connector on PCI bus to upgrade my Chaintech 5AGM2 mvp3 based s7 mainboard. The goal was to use a 64GB SSD 2.5" hd into it to speed up the whole system a bit.
In the manual it talk about booting to a os and then install the card but i obviously want to boot and install through it from boot, but setting SCSI boot on bios seems not to see the cdrom on ide and probably not also the hd on the sata connector.
Do I need some key combination to force at boot scsi boot or some sort of boot disk? Or the mainboard and chipset are just too old?
Bye and thank

Reply 2 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a "Boot other device" in the BIOS? Try enable if so.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually a PCI SATA card's BIOS should appear during POST and detect attached drives. Do you see this?

That SATA chip is designed for PCI 2.2, whereas MVP3 is PCI 2.1. That could be a problem. I've seen this with VIA USB 2.0 PCI cards on 440BX, though in that case the motherboard doesn't detect the card at all.

Reply 4 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I tried also in a A7N8X mobo and it's ok on Windows but booting seems to be difficult. I've to trying cloning another os into the ssd disk and try booting that way maybe.
I bought this card cause those ide-sata converters boards gave me problems, one also shorted and almost fired up wires... 🙁