VOGONS

First post, by clayster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
This is my first post on Vogons!
And first problem with my first 486 computer I've got.
Only information I know the motherboard is Made in USA, under CPU stated "Ready for Intel Overdrive". No serial number or name of mobo.
This computer comes to me( Vale premier) without hdd,floppy drives or cd, additionally all wires was dismantled from mobo.
And here is the problem, don't know how to connect wires.
I have:
2 pin wire ?
3pin (2wire) - power led
2 pin wire key lock
2pin wire reset sw
4pin(2wire) ?
2pin wire hdd led
3 pin wire turbo sw

But the best explanation will be adding some pictures.May someone recognize this mobo ? and know where to connect wires ?
Big thanks for all answers.
clayster

Attachments

• 20150805_233701.jpg
    Filename
    20150805_233701.jpg
    File size
    2.44 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    connectors on the motherboard
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20150805_233919.jpg
    Filename
    20150805_233919.jpg
    File size
    2.23 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Motherboard
    File license
  • 20150805_233630.jpg
    Filename
    20150805_233630.jpg
    File size
    2.53 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    As you see motherboard made in USA! No serial number or name of mobo.
    File license

Reply 1 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Specific information is almost impossible without being there and seeing the cables and board together, but your situation is not hopeless.

You are very lucky that you have the panel connector pinout silkscreened on your mobo. It's also obvious that you already designated power LED, HDD LED, reset switch, turbo switch, and keylock connectors. So, your unidentified two pin connector is turbo led, and the other unidentified 2 wire/4 pin connector is speaker.

According to your first photo:

1*--- Power LED and Key Lock
2*
3*
4*
5*---
1*--- Speaker
2*
3*
4*---
1*--- Reset Sw.
2*---
1*--- Turbo LED
2*---
1*--- Turbo Sw.
2*---

Starting from the bottom

First 2 pins: Turbo switch. Turbo switch connectors generally come as 3 pin/3 wire connectors, but with only two pin receptors on the mobo. You need to try and find the correct connection. There are only 2 possibilities for your mobo as far as I can see. Attention: Only two pins to two wires, one wire will not be connected.
Next 2 pins: Turbo Led. Again you need to try. Only 2 possibilities, but if your Turbo led connector has white/orange wires, try putting orange to the pin designated as "1" first.
Next 2 pins: Reset Switch. You can connect both ways, both will work
Next 4 pins: Speaker. You can connect both ways, both will work.
Next 5 pins: Power LED + Key Lock. You need to try. I would start with green (most probably) wire of 3 pin power led connector to the pin designated as "1".

Do your trials one by one. You can't harm your mobo by trying the connection possibilities, as long as you connect the connector to the designated pins.

HDD LED connector has nothing to do with your mobo, since your mobo has no onboard IDE controller. This connector should be connected to your IDE controller / multi I/O card.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 7, by clayster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for quick reply.
And now what I've got after your suggestion:
PSU works, hdd spinning, light on on the floppys, clock showing 08 mhz ?, pressing turbo switch not giving change.
2 times got green screen, then nothing.
Checked with 3 vlbus cards and 3 other isa cards and same results. So mobo possible death ? or you have different idea ?
Thanks
clayster

Reply 3 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clayster wrote:
Thanks for quick reply. And now what I've got after your suggestion: PSU works, hdd spinning, light on on the floppys, clock sho […]
Show full quote

Thanks for quick reply.
And now what I've got after your suggestion:
PSU works, hdd spinning, light on on the floppys, clock showing 08 mhz ?, pressing turbo switch not giving change.
2 times got green screen, then nothing.
Checked with 3 vlbus cards and 3 other isa cards and same results. So mobo possible death ? or you have different idea ?
Thanks
clayster

I can't have an idea about whether it is dead or not, but I will suggest a barebones testing first. CPU, minimum amount of RAM, an ISA display card, nothing else connected. "nothing else" includes no other cards, no front panel connectors, no drives of any kind. If you can get the boot up screen with that setup, you can continue from there, by trial and error, making a single change at a step.

If you can't get the boot screen with that setup, you have some problems from serious ones like mobo being dead, or as simple as a wrongly adjusted jumper. Do you have the mobo manual? I suggest finding it and check all the jumpers are adjusted properly. Especially related to CPU type/speed and Cache.

By the way, by minimum RAM I mean 4 identical sticks (you have 30 pin SIMM sockets and your machine will work only if you install your memory in multiples of 4). In the picture, I see that you have 6 RAM slots populated, so it will probably will not work like that. I suggest removing the 2 extra sticks.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 7, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,
Just wanted to add that i have two 486 mobo's which i thought were dead, but it turned out that i had to connect a keyboard too. Without one nothing happened, no video output, not even a post beep. I suggest you try that too?

Reply 7 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Could still be mis-jumpered, or CMOS battery dead (good news: RTC block will not spill acid, bad news: it's difficult to replace without the appropriate equipment)

1+1=10