VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all,

I am trying to get access to the web with my 386 and Soyo 019I I lately built thank to all the advices I read here.
I have some ne2000 compatible cards and I always got access to the web with the same router basically just with the ne2000 packet driver of Arachne.
I am using a Netware isa card with some nice jumpers setting for memory and irq so I immediately know what to set on ne2000 command line and in fact It detect mac address immediately. But when I go to doslynx, lynx or arachne and they try to access it fail after some time. On the router the log tell me this:

dnsmasq[766]: BOOTP(br0) "mac address" no address configured

I am using on the cfg file bootp/dhcp setting so I would expect address to be assigner by the router... and other times I only have to set the mac to be accepted.
What would you try? I have tried different ne2000 cards and all the same problem.
Thank!

Reply 1 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just give it a static IP address an your'll be away laughing if the card is ok. I had the same issue on my 286/12. http://hackaday.com/2014/10/23/hackaday-retro … on-the-internet

Make sure the dos packet driver for your card is loaded first.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I load the packet everytime on the same i/o address and different irq.. and in fact it seems that something arrive at the router logging the requests.. but both doslynx and arachne seems to not get a dhcp address. So trying fixed one but seems that in this case my router don't want to accept a fixed one...

Reply 3 of 7, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If fixing an IP address, then check the range the router autoassigns - many routers are set to begin assigning from .100, or to end at .200, leaving either .2-.99 or .201 to .254 clear of conflict with auto-assign.

If the router is not set to leave any gap, then do fixed addresses from the .254 downwards.

Reply 4 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are sure all your settings for the packet driver are correct, it is loading properly and the nic is serviceable it is possible you may need to use an intermediate hub or switch between the nic and router.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is your router using MAC address filtering, and if so, did you add the Netware ISA MAC address to the router's white list (list of accepted MAC addresses)?

Reply 7 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akula65 wrote:

Is your router using MAC address filtering, and if so, did you add the Netware ISA MAC address to the router's white list (list of accepted MAC addresses)?

Sure but no way, still dhcp seems to not finish correctly with both doslynx and arachne... arachne also not really stable as I remember on the 486. The computer runs fine for a 386, also stable with low ram timing (read 1/write 2). I am sure that with W95 it would be certainly better but it is a bit too much for this system.