VOGONS

First post, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought the parts needed to rebuild my retro PC, including an ATX-AT converter, now, I can't figured out to connect the power supply switch. Now, I'm a bit young and so don't have much experience with these switches, but anyway, it looks like you need to connect the small rubber connector on the converter to the switch, but there's two on the converter, and four on the original PSU. Anyone know where I connect these? I'd love to get playing on it again SOON...

If you're curious, you can see it here. https://twitter.com/GeorgeQGreg/status/633306549939638272

Reply 1 of 8, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All you need is to connect those connectors to the power switch. I guess the old one has four because all the power from the PSU needs to run through the switch, and by dividing the current in two pairs of wires/contacts there is a lower risk of those wires getting overloaded. Just connect them to oposing contacts and it should be fine.

Reply 2 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disconnect old AT PSU first from mains plug, then you can safely disconnect the four wires going to the switch (blue,white, etc).
Then connect the ATX adapter green/black to any two that work, you cannot break it. Based on the video I guess the pins with blue and white that are side by side on the foreground, or the other two (black/brown? I can't see) on the background. Leave other two disconnected. If you have a multimeter, you can check which two are connected together when switch is on. The switch is supposed to connect ATX supply black (ground) and green (PSU_ON) wires together to turn the ATX supply on.

alexanrs wrote:

I guess the old one has four because all the power from the PSU needs to run through the switch, and by dividing the current in two pairs of wires/contacts there is a lower risk of those wires getting overloaded.

No, it's to prevent you to get killed by electricity. Actually same current flows in both halves of the switch, but in opposite directions. In some parts of the world, your mains plug can be either way in the socket so which wire is live (has lethal AC voltage) and which wire is neutral (zero voltage) is unknown, so you have to switch both wires before it is safe. Compare this to common light switch in your living room which only switches one wire. The electrician has to make sure the switch cuts the live wire, so that when you turn the switch off, it is safe to change the light bulb. If the switch accidentally cuts the neutral wire instead, and you change the light bulb and accidentally touch the lethal AC voltage and something else that is grounded, you get a shock.

Reply 3 of 8, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks you guys, I do feel silly now actually, I just spent an hour with tech support figuring it out. (You guys were faster!) Why didn't I get an email for the replies?

Anyway, I'm currently trying to disconnect the blade connectors, but they're really gripping, I'd guess from having 120V in them for 20 years. Any tips for disconnecting them without hurting myself or anything? I got the rear wires off, just not the AC wires so far.

Oh, and while I'm at it, doing all this reminded me of an old joke. (Stop me if you've heard this!)

Why are the AC wires brown and blue? Touch them or connect them wrong and YOU will be! (I've actually heard stories of peoples' houses being completely shorted from connecting the switch wrong.)

Reply 4 of 8, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jepael wrote:

No, it's to prevent you to get killed by electricity. Actually same current flows in both halves of the switch, but in opposite directions. In some parts of the world, your mains plug can be either way in the socket so which wire is live (has lethal AC voltage) and which wire is neutral (zero voltage) is unknown, so you have to switch both wires before it is safe. Compare this to common light switch in your living room which only switches one wire. The electrician has to make sure the switch cuts the live wire, so that when you turn the switch off, it is safe to change the light bulb. If the switch accidentally cuts the neutral wire instead, and you change the light bulb and accidentally touch the lethal AC voltage and something else that is grounded, you get a shock.

Here where I live there is no such a thing as a neutral wire. Both are 127V DC (delayed 120º from each other, thus the voltage between them is ~220V), so both are live wires. I guess this would make even more sense in this case.

georgeqgreg wrote:

Thanks you guys, I do feel silly now actually, I just spent an hour with tech support figuring it out. (You guys were faster!) Why didn't I get an email for the replies?

You don't get e-mails for replies automatically. You'll have to check "notify me when a reply is posted" to get them, and I never checked if that works.

Reply 5 of 8, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have notifications for replies enabled, so I guess they're broken.

Anyway, here in Canada (we use the same system as US) we have a neutral wire. Also our electrical system is one of the dumbest in the world. There's almost no safety features or anything. Anyway, I'm getting real tired trying to yank the AC wires out. Any tips?

Ok, only the blue wire is still connected. I swear, it looks rusted or something.

OK OK I JU?ST PRIED IT OUT WITH A FLATHEAD SCREWDRIVER. (Kids, don't try this at home.)