VOGONS

First post, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sezero has built a DXE for Quake 2 DOS 3DFX for Voodoo Rush users. Previously, the code never built and neither of us have a Voodoo Rush to test if it works at all (and no emulators seem to have support for it either). Therefore, I'm asking if someone who owns the card can test it to see if it works.

Testing is simple. First download the latest Q2DOS to be sure you have all the updated game DXEs at https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/downloads … S_EXE_LATEST.7Z. Extract it, overwrite any files.

Then download the latest 3DFX build at https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/downloads … _3DFX_LATEST.7Z. Extract it, overwrite any files.
Next, take glide3x.dxe from the sst96 directory and put it in your root Quake 2 directory (where q2fx.exe, ref_gl.dxe, and friends are).

Start the game with q2fx.exe +set vid_ref gl +set gl_mode 3 and see what happens, report back 😀.

Reply 1 of 50, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sezero just realized a mistake in the code and as such I have reuploaded a new 3dfx package. Same link as before, so if anyone out there tried this, please redownload and try it again.

Reply 3 of 50, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

edit: new error
Sys_error: unresolved symbol(s) in ref_gl.dxe

inside log is: clock: unresolved symbol

Last edited by Putas on 2015-08-21, 16:54. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 10 of 50, by szo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Putas wrote:

It works now.

Great. Thank you very much for testing. Can you tell us exactly what model of Voodoo Rush you are using?

When 320x240 is chosen the screen is split horizontally and rendered twice.

Arghh.. We should revise our menus. Lowest resolution for a voodoo should practically start from 512x384.

Reply 12 of 50, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just posting that I tried that in software mode on my 233mmx/riva128zx build, it's amazing! Sure it's sub-30fps most of the time (12~31fps as far as I can see) at 320x240 but hats off for the port!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 50, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, run MTRRLFBE.EXE or fastvid.exe if your chipset supports modifying the LFB writes. If it does, you will get a nice speed boost by using the VESA 320x240 instead of Mode-X version.

I also noticed that using MTRRLFBE.EXE instead of fastvid on my voodoo 3 and 5 cards makes a drastic difference in speed compared to fastvid. Since the rush has it's own 2d accelerator as well I'd imagine it makes a difference also.

Reply 14 of 50, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
szo wrote:
Putas wrote:

It works now.

Great. Thank you very much for testing. Can you tell us exactly what model of Voodoo Rush you are using?

Viewtop 3D Vulcan without extra memory and A-Trend Helios 3D 6 MB - strange that the A-Trend seems slower.

szo wrote:
Putas wrote:

When 320x240 is chosen the screen is split horizontally and rendered twice.

Arghh.. We should revise our menus. Lowest resolution for a voodoo should practically start from 512x384.

But Rush is not such speedster, timedemo framerates with Vulcan:
320x240 - 21.5
400x300 - 19 -rendered into 400x300 space inside 640x480?
512x384 - 16.4 - still not whole screen?
640x480 - 12.8 - this should not work with 2 MB, are you using software z-buffer?

Last edited by Putas on 2015-08-22, 05:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 50, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If software z-buffering is used it must be something in the rush driver as we are using the actual ref_gl from id software with some special performance enhancements by knightmare.

Reply 18 of 50, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow. That's pretty slow. Have you tried using http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/mtrrlfbe.exe ? just do MTRRLFBE.EXE LFB WC. Should increase your speeds if your chipset supports it.

Reply 19 of 50, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, I forgot. Is gl_ext_multitexture and gl_ext_pointparameters set to 0? If they were enabled and you disable them you will need a vid_restart or restart quake 2.

Another thing to try is gl_ztrick 1. And finally, if you're getting a little desperate you can disable the dlights entirely with gl_dynamic 0 which should give a decent boost.