VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

first off. can anyone identify this 386/486 motherboard? A spec sheet or jumper chart would really help me out. its possibly the smallest motherboard I have ever seen outside of a raspberry pie or something like that. Its pretty capable as well with 128kb L2 cache built in and the FPU socket.

20150404_225735_zps8l7krdgi.jpg

Second, and I have no idea what to call them but does anyone have any ideas or know where I can buy extensions for the buttons on a PC case. After installing this board in a case its actually to short so that almost none of my wires reach the board.

20150826_191838_zpsexr3sdaw.jpg

see, almost can make it but just doesn't reach. at this point the only wires that are long enough are for the speaker and HDD LED.

Reply 1 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice 386 CPU. Looks like a pretty old one since it lacks the white logo. I guess you should take care of it since it's not all scratched up yet...and it's a 33MHz model too.

Are you sure your chipset has 128kb cache integrated? I thought it was only 8kb.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Nice 386 CPU. Looks like a pretty old one since it lacks the white logo. I guess you should take care of it since it's not all scratched up yet...and it's a 33MHz model too.

Are you sure your chipset has 128kb cache integrated? I thought it was only 8kb.

that's what it reports on post. I'll double check it with cachechk tomorrow and let you know.

Reply 3 of 12, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

....Second, and I have no idea what to call them but does anyone have any ideas or know where I can buy extensions for the buttons on a PC case. After installing this board in a case its actually to short so that almost none of my wires reach the board....

How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231336693834?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I used them for this and many other purpose (like conversion) in the past with good results.

Last edited by tayyare on 2015-08-27, 12:37. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be interesting to confirm if your board reports 128kb on post, because the MX chipset is only supposed to have 8kb integrated. The 386 speedsys thread confirms this: Post your 386 Speedsys results here

So either you have a special variant of the MX chipset, or your BIOS is either wrong or has been manipulated.

Reply 5 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
How about this one? […]
Show full quote
soviet conscript wrote:

....Second, and I have no idea what to call them but does anyone have any ideas or know where I can buy extensions for the buttons on a PC case. After installing this board in a case its actually to short so that almost none of my wires reach the board....

How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231336693834?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I used them for this and many other purpose (like conversion) in the past with good results.

yes! thank you. those should work nicely I just had no idea what to search for.

Reply 6 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

It would be interesting to confirm if your board reports 128kb on post, because the MX chipset is only supposed to have 8kb integrated. The 386 speedsys thread confirms this: Post your 386 Speedsys results here

So either you have a special variant of the MX chipset, or your BIOS is either wrong or has been manipulated.

you are indeed correct. ran cachechk this morning and only 8kb cache detected. The BIOS is stating 128kb for whatever reason so its either confused or has been manipulated as you stated. bummer. oh well I'm not looking for this to be a speed demon system anyways.

Reply 7 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you know how much DRAM your system is capable of caching?

Reply 8 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Do you know how much DRAM your system is capable of caching?

no idea. is there a way to find out?
BIOS string is 30-0200-001453-00101111-111192-mxic-h but still cant pin down the board model or info.

Reply 9 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt you will find a manual for your board. It doesn't really matter anyway, since you said there are very few jumpers. Small footprint 386 boards like yours are often unidentifiable. I've had several. What would be more useful is to see if you can find the manual for the MX chipset.

You should be able to find out how much DRAM your board can cache by running cachechk. But, I believe you would need to install the maximum amount of memory your board supports to really get a good idea.

Reply 10 of 12, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a MACRONIX CW-DXI3-M40 (INFORMTECH IT-AM33/40-DLC)

Never say never, there's lots of info here:
http://pcrebuilding.altervista.org/44/315/MOT … LC+PGA-132.html

Reply 11 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
evasive wrote on 2020-05-02, 18:25:

It is a MACRONIX CW-DXI3-M40 (INFORMTECH IT-AM33/40-DLC)

Never say never, there's lots of info here:
http://pcrebuilding.altervista.org/44/315/MOT … LC+PGA-132.html

I created this post 8 years ago, 3 years ago Evasive posted the manual that I needed though I was completely oblivious to this and had forgotten I even ever made this post. Yesterday I came across this very machine I had packed away in storage. I pulled it out and was again stumped by this motherboard. looking for the answers I once again rediscovered this post.

It was a long and forgettable journey but I finally have my jumper guide.