VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the CDROM that came with this machine is 2x speed, although I am not 100% sure. There are a few games that should work better with something a bit faster. I found a 8 x speed Mitsumi CD-ROM which I tried to attach last night. Unfortunately this CD-ROM was missing the cap for the jumpers at the back that select master/slave/cable select etc. I found a cap from a different drive and tried to use that, but it felt like it didn't fit well, so it may not have been doing the job. The original drive was set up as a slave so I tried that setting as well as cable select and also with no jumper but I could not get DOS to detect it. I think this machine used to allow access to the BIOS with a program that had to be on the original hard drive? That drive was replaced with an SD-Card when it died, so I don't have that any more. Would I need to change something in the BIOS? Just to be sure I am going to test the 8x speed on a more modern machine today to make sure it does actually work.

I didn't really get in to PC building and modding until just after the DOS era, so my knowledge of older machines is limited. MY first machines ran DOS but I did not work on the hardware myself back then.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BIOS doesn't care about makes, speed, etc. Just as long as the secondary channel is set to say auto rather then disabled you should be fine and this should be fine as you are swapping out drive.
IDE drives are pretty generic in dos as well, although there is the rare drive that don't like generic drivers. I would try a Win9x boot disk as its pretty good at picking up CD drives, or failing that seeing if you can find the actual ms-dos driver for your drive.

But mostly you should be able to attach any IDE optical drive CD, DVD, burner, whatever and 9 out of 10 times Dos will continue as if nothing has changed

Reply 2 of 9, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

BIOS doesn't care about makes, speed, etc. Just as long as the secondary channel is set to say auto rather then disabled you should be fine and this should be fine as you are swapping out drive.
IDE drives are pretty generic in dos as well, although there is the rare drive that don't like generic drivers. I would try a Win9x boot disk as its pretty good at picking up CD drives, or failing that seeing if you can find the actual ms-dos driver for your drive.

But mostly you should be able to attach any IDE optical drive CD, DVD, burner, whatever and 9 out of 10 times Dos will continue as if nothing has changed

This motherboard has the ESS688 built in to it. Is it not the case that some sound cards had an IDE interface on them that required a CD-ROM manufactured by a certain company? I do not know if this is the case with the on-board ESS688, but I could not get the 8 x Speed drive to work. I think the drive may actually be faulty. I have a lot of other spares but they are all too fast, apart from a drive manufactured in 1994 by Creative (CR-563-B), but I think this one does need a sound blaster with the IDE plug on it. I wanted to put an x4 or x8 drive in there, because I was experiencing slow performance on a few games that stream from the CD. I think the one in there is a x2 but don't know for sure.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 3 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the cable is going to your HDD first then you can be confident its using a standard IDE interface. I doubt if anyone ever integrated more then the sound component of a card into a motherboard, just doesn't make economic sense. (The motherboard will already have a IDE controller chip, why pay to integrate a 2nd one attached to the sound card)

I think your right that the Creative drive needs to be attached to a SB16, but its not IDE its the Panasonic interface. Cable is the same but pinot is very different and not compatible. Usually the driver for this is called something like SBCD.sys from memory.

You can try using a faster drive with a slow down utility, few people do that round here

Reply 4 of 9, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

If the cable is going to your HDD first then you can be confident its using a standard IDE interface. I doubt if anyone ever integrated more then the sound component of a card into a motherboard, just doesn't make economic sense. (The motherboard will already have a IDE controller chip, why pay to integrate a 2nd one attached to the sound card)

I think your right that the Creative drive needs to be attached to a SB16, but its not IDE its the Panasonic interface. Cable is the same but pinot is very different and not compatible. Usually the driver for this is called something like SBCD.sys from memory.

You can try using a faster drive with a slow down utility, few people do that round here

I have never used a slow down utility for a CD-ROM. How does that work?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rick12373 wrote:

Exactly the way it sounds – it keeps the CD-ROM drive from spinning faster than a particular maximum speed, and thus ensures that it operates much more quietly. It's largely unnecessary if you're playing a game that uses redbook CD audio, though.

Reply 6 of 9, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
rick12373 wrote:

Exactly the way it sounds – it keeps the CD-ROM drive from spinning faster than a particular maximum speed, and thus ensures that it operates much more quietly. It's largely unnecessary if you're playing a game that uses redbook CD audio, though.

How do I actually do this? Is there a thread on it already or instructions elsewhere online?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 8 of 9, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try to use teac_cdi.sys with key /S:4.
Link: http://www.rm.com/_RMVirtual/Media/Downloads/teac24x.zip

Example:
DEVICE=C:\DRIVERS\teac_cdi.sys /D:MSCD001 /S:4

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 9 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need two entries for Dos to see CD roms.

One in your autoexec.bat file eg:

LOADHIGH=C:\Dos\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

And one in your config.sys file eg:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\CD-ROM\CD_IDE.SYS /D:MSCD001

I have an 8 speed drive in my CDS 524 running a 486DX2/66 and it doesn't require any slow down program. It is set up as a slave drive to a 2gig hdd. On systems this old I prefer to use cdrom drives without any speed rating on the tray. This system has become quite picky of late on what software will or wont run. Almost tempted to scrap it.

CDS524.JPG
Filename
CDS524.JPG
File size
79.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉