VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a big fan of the GeForce4 MX series. For Windows 98 and early XP gaming, those cards just rock. Driver support and image quality don't get much better.

The GeForce4 Go series is the mobile counterpart of the GeForce4 MX series. I've often thought it would be nice to have a laptop with one of those, specifically one of the following models:

• GeForce4 Go 440
  • GeForce4 Go 460
  • GeForce4 Go 488*

* might be vaporware

My problem is this: it is very difficult to shop for old laptops by GPU type. Most eBay and Craigslist sellers don't even know what GPUs their laptops contain. Google searches for "list of laptops with GeForce4 go" have proven unhelpful.

Does anyone know of any laptops that shipped with one of the above?

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Compaq TC 1100 has the Geforce 4 Go 420 but the overall cooling of the machine really sucks and you will want a SSD upgrade just to help cut down on the heat. Pentium 4 era laptops have a chance of having a gpu from this era but you will need know the model of the machine ect so you can check. You might have to settle for Quadro versions if all else fails as the gaming laptops and DTRs that could game from the time didn't hit the scene yet in a big way.

Edit: Consider the Inspiron 8200 as some shipped with the Go 440.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 6, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know the Dell Inspiron 8200 and its Latitude sibling, the C840, had the Go 440 as an option, in both 32MB and 64MB variants. Also, some Toshiba laptops came with the Go 460: http://www.pcworld.com/product/14868/toshiba- … 3-notebook.html

That's about all I know.

EDIT: Apparently, the Medion MD6100 came with the Go 488: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/74953-33-geforce

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 6, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up a Toshiba Satellite 2410 recently which has a Go 420. I'm quite surprised at how powerful it is. I really wasn't expecting much, but games like Morrowind and GTA 3 are more than playable (even full speed).

It's a P4 2.0 and has good cooling. Doesn't get too hot even when running full load for a period of time.

Reply 4 of 6, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Dell Latitude C840 with GeForce4 440 Go 64MB, it runs nice in XP, but in Win98SE there is a problem with video driver, it does not install. The problem is that even in Omega driver GeForce4 44o GO is not listed in the NVAML file. So here is modded file, that works just fine with 4.14.10.4403 driver.

Filename
NVAML.zip
File size
6.51 KiB
Downloads
60 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 6, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use to get on Toshiba Laptop, GeForce4 = 1600x1200 back in the day , need to search for the driver , did all the testing with all the drivers till I found the best one.

My 80486-S i66 Project