VOGONS

First post, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking for a definitive word on whether or not the Voodoo 5 AGP is safe to use in an Asus TUSL2-C mobo. I know that it shouldn't be used in anything greater than AGP 2x, but I keep seeing the occasional build list with this combo. I won't do it unless someone can let me know that they have done it before and ran it for an extended period without harm.

Reply 1 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at the manual, I'm very confident. Do you have some other, cheap, 3.3V card to test? Like a V3 or maybe a Diamond V770?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 12, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I bought out the last of those V3 3500's on eBay (you know, those Compaq cards selling for about 13.00). I just don't want to risk the motherboard. Any ideas on how to safely test this combo?

Reply 5 of 12, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:

I am running one of my voodoo 5 5500 agp in a tusl2-c with a tualatin p3 at 1400mhz
-latest bios, agp 3.3v support, no problems, rockstable 😎

That would be the same rig that I would build. All the parts work fine, and I keep seeing builds with those two and just didn't want to risk burning out the card or the board as many others have done before with the Voodoo 5 in AGP 4x and 8x boards. How long have you been running it? I see some have run 3.3v cards in 1.5 slots for a month or two of regular use and then it kills the card and or board. If others have managed it for 6+ months then it should be a safe bet. I just want to make sure beforehand as both the TUSL2 and Voodoo 5 are getting pricey at this point.

I don't know why I want to build this rig, as I have other Win98 rigs that I would use more often. My current primary is a P2B-F with a 1.4 Celeron, Quadro FX-2000 for primary video, STB Black Magic Voodoo 2 in SLI for glide, AWE32 (CT3980) and Maxi Sound Fortissimo for audio. Running modern HDD's with IDE to SATA adaptor. Yeah, there is a bit of maximum performance loss with the celery vs the full Tualatin and the lower FSB. But for Win9X games, its not something that shows. I just have this urge to put a full Tully with a V5, even though I know it will perform less than my primary rig when it comes to Direct X and OpenGL. The gaming gods have cursed me with an itch I should not scratch, 🤣.

Reply 6 of 12, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same setup here, no problems.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 12, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo5 AGP should work in all boards that have AGP 2x or AGP universal slot. Maybe there are few exceptions ... but these are very rare.

List of chipsets that are 100% compatible:
I440BX, i815, i820, i840, VIA 133A, VIA 133T -> PIII platform
SiS 645, VIA P4X266 (not 100% sure about this one) -> P4 platform
AMD-750, AMD-760, VIA KX133, KT133A, KT266A, KT333 (some late revisions are AGP 4x only!!.. so not compativle with V5), SiS 735, 745 -> Athlon / Athlon XP platform

At the moment my V5 PC is: Athlon XP 3000+, Epox 8k5a3+ (KT333), SB Live 5.1, Adaptec 29160N PCI SCSI. Running perfectly both windows 98 and XP, very stable and reliable.

//edit: forgot to add i815 and VIA KX133 😊

Last edited by havli on 2015-08-31, 16:36. Edited 1 time in total.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 9 of 12, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kodai wrote:

Yeah, I bought out the last of those V3 3500's on eBay (you know, those Compaq cards selling for about 13.00). I just don't want to risk the motherboard. Any ideas on how to safely test this combo?

Sad... No more left. Well... I got at least one card that are working.
Would have loved to get my hands on a second one.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 12, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The voodoo 5 will work in the TUSL2 just fine since it uses the i815 chipset and a 3.3v AGP port. It doesn't matter if the slot is 1x, 2x or 4x - as long as it meets the voltage requirements, witch it does.

I've used a loaner v5 5500 in my KT333 (GA-7VRXP + Athlon 2400+) rig with a universal agp slot (1.5v / 3.3v ) for two months with no issues whatsoever.

Reply 11 of 12, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

similar combo here with CUSL2-C, your TUSL2 should handle V5 without any problems. Make sure your mobo has good conditon caps and tested over stability, of corse remember about good PSU, no second hand, just new if you can

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 12 of 12, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always use new PSU's and if I need -5v, I use an inline adaptor. If I get back into AT builds that are branded, I would rebuild the PSU and add line filters. I learned about cheap PSU's back in the late 90's with a bad rollout of 200+ rigs I pinched some pennies on and it plagued me for almost two years. Never again.

As far as the caps go, they were the first thing I checked with my DE-5000. I love that thing, 🤣. All of them were still well within spec. I see no need to change any of them.

On buying out the last of those 3500's, sorry. Between wanting a few for projects, plus backups and building two retro rigs for friends it looks like I may be short one or two when all is said and done. That's assuming all of them work when I get to them.