VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello fellow retro enthusiasts. Today I picked up some creative cards from a recycling center. I would like to use some of them in my builds, so I'm asking about your opinions as to witch one you would use and in what builds...

Here are the cards:

cCbyPWMl.jpg

B47X6fol.jpg

luXxEgjl.jpg

I did a little research on the "Vibra 16" CT3930, and it comes off as a Creative AWE32 (figured as much myself since it has two memory module slots). The AWE64 cards are pretty run of the mill value cards, nothing interesting there - will probably be using them in one of my win98 boxes. I know nothing of the SB16 value - is there any real quality difference between it and the regular sb16?

What about the PCI cards? The creative branded one is a Vibra 128 PCI - I have one in my P3 SLI built and it sounds great. The ES1371 is a mystery to me. It's also branded Creative, but it installs Ensoniq Soundscape drivers. Is it any good?

Now - I currently have the following PCs with no decent sound cards:

1. - Athlon XP 2600+ / Abit NF7-S2G / X800XT 256MB / Win98SE + WinXP - this one is limited to PCI - so the question is - would one of the PCI cards above sound better then the on board nvidia chip? Would there be any reason to use one of the above PCI sound cards in it or should I stick to on-board sound?

2. - Socket A Athlon 1200Mhz / Abit KT133 / Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / win98se - this guy has ISA. I was thinking of shoving the CT4500 AWE64 value in it. What do you guys think? The machine is too fast for DOS, so it's mainly used for Win98 games

3. - Slot 1 600MHz Pentium III / Soltek i440 mb / geforce 256 SDR / Win98se - shoud I stick a AWE64 card in this or should I go with the CT3930 AWE32? I rarely run dos stuff on it.

4. - Slot 1 Compaq Deskpro 1000 - 400MHz Pentium II / Voodoo Banshee 16MB / Win98 SE - I do some dos game on this machine, but mostly use it as a lan-party computer for when friends come over. Witch of the above cards would benefit it most?

5. - Socket 7 AMD K6-III+ / MVP3 board / Voodoo Banshee / win98 SE - this machine I use a lot. Bot DOS game sand win98 games. It currently has a CT4500 in it. Should I swap it for an AWE32 since those have real OPL3 or should I keep the AWE64?

Reply 2 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In real world terms a card with a Vibra chip means you loose the ability to adjust treble and Bass on the card itself. Not a problem if you can do this with your speakers. Also can sound a bit cleaner, again doubt you will notice unless you have real good hearing.

So the CT3930 is a SB32 not a AWE32. I've got one myself that haven't gotten round to playing with yet. If you don't use sound fonts really its just going to act as an Vibra 16. Unless you really miss the true OPL chip, I would still rate the AWE64 Value as a better card. (although the SB32 does look cooler)

The PCI Vibra 128 is a "value" SB Live. so you miss out on the fancy EAX stuff
The ES1371 is also known as a SB 64 PCI. Think of it as a slightly less capable version of your Vibra 128

I think you have the pairing pretty much right above.
For PC1. If you like the Vibra128 more then the on board card, swap it, It may be a bit better behaved in Win98? Not sure I've only ever
had creative cards, even on board till more recent PC's

For PC2, I guess a AWE64 gives you the option of playing Dos if you ever do want to. otherwise either of the PCI cards will also do fine as they do have good legacy support for dos games if you stay in Windows.

PC3,4,5 Would be nice to put the SB32 in somewhere just for something different. Maybe your second most used dos PC?

Reply 3 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

In real world terms a card with a Vibra chip means you loose the ability to adjust treble and Bass on the card itself. Not a problem if you can do this with your speakers. Also can sound a bit cleaner, again doubt you will notice unless you have real good hearing.

So the CT3930 is a SB32 not a AWE32. I've got one myself that haven't gotten round to playing with yet. If you don't use sound fonts really its just going to act as an Vibra 16. Unless you really miss the true OPL chip, I would still rate the AWE64 Value as a better card.

Did not know that. I do have a real AWE32 in one of my rigs - haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. It's a bit longer, but it doesn't have memory expansion slots.

chinny22 wrote:

(although the SB32 does look cooler)

Yes it does!

chinny22 wrote:

The PCI Vibra 128 is a "value" SB Live. so you miss out on the fancy EAX stuff
The ES1371 is also known as a SB 64 PCI. Think of it as a slightly less capable version of your Vibra 128

Don't have an SB Live card - was planning on buying a couple, but I could never find one at just the right price / distance. I do love the Vibra 128 - no issues with it in any game and it sounds very pleasant. The on board sound card on the ECS P6VXA I use for the P3 V2 SLi rig is horrid. The chip itself is fine - same chip as on the Abit KT133 (and that works pretty well) but ECS didn't bother to build proper supporting circutry for it, and It doesn't even have output filter caps (unlike the Abit) so it sounds like crap - crackling, background noise and interference from the disk drives make it unusable.

Didn't know about the 1371. I'll give it a try.

chinny22 wrote:
I think you have the pairing pretty much right above. For PC1. If you like the Vibra128 more then the on board card, swap it, It […]
Show full quote

I think you have the pairing pretty much right above.
For PC1. If you like the Vibra128 more then the on board card, swap it, It may be a bit better behaved in Win98? Not sure I've only ever
had creative cards, even on board till more recent PC's

For PC2, I guess a AWE64 gives you the option of playing Dos if you ever do want to. otherwise either of the PCI cards will also do fine as they do have good legacy support for dos games if you stay in Windows.

Yeah, win98 drivers for the on-board nvidia card require DX9 witch brakes compatibility with games like Dungeon Keeper II (black screen). I'll probably swap the X800 for my 9800pro and stick the Vibra 128 in there as well.

chinny22 wrote:

PC3,4,5 Would be nice to put the SB32 in somewhere just for something different. Maybe your second most used dos PC?

My second most used dos PC is a Pentium 166 with a Voodoo 1 4MB. It has my only true AWE32 card in it, but it's a version with no memory slots. Is there any point in replacing it with the SB32? I play Uprising, MDK, Duke 3D, Z (Zed) and other goodies on it.

I also have a pentium MMX 233 rig with a Voodoo 2, but I use that mostly for stuff like Age of Empires, Theme Hospital, and alike - not much dos action. It currently has a CT4380 in it.

What should I do with the SB16 value? I have a SB Pro 2.0 witch is missing it's metal i/o plate (I got it that way) in my 386. Would replacing that with the CT2770 make any difference?

Reply 4 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Audigy 2 ZS in my Voodoo 3 3500 rig (KT333, 2400+) and it's pretty nice for what it does. No driver issues under win9x either.

The AWE32 does have a real yamaha chip on it - the SB32 however has a "Creative OPL3" or some shit...

Thanks for all the advice - especially regarding the SB Live cards. I'll stick to older cards or Audigy 2 / 4 / SE

Reply 5 of 8, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

System 2 - I have the same setup, and I just used my Awe64 value in that one. Any DOS games will be late ones with native Awe drivers anyway.
System 5 - I have a SB32 CT3930, and I really like it. Just replaced all the capacitors, real OPL, Vibra be damned. Best of both worlds.

Reply 6 of 8, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't find the old article about SBPCI128 & Ensoniq - though I seem to recall the Ensoniq version often had better DAC SNR and was a pretty good card for WAV recording.
Wavetable by system RAM loaded ".ECW" soundfont, with 2MB, 4MB & 8MB (I used the 8MB with mine, only go lower if really short of RAM) - it's more a shared memory hardware wavetable than a software, as the card PCI busmasters the data as required.

Mine was the SBPCI128

Reply 7 of 8, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. - Athlon XP 2600+ / Abit NF7-S2G / X800XT 256MB / Win98SE + WinXP - this one is limited to PCI - so the question is - would one of the PCI cards above sound better then the on board nvidia chip? Would there be any reason to use one of the above PCI sound cards in it or should I stick to on-board sound?

The Nvidia Soundstorm is by far one of the best underutilized DSPs in existence. It has great 3D audio provided by Sensaura plus real hardware accelerated OpenAL and Dolby 5.1 out, making it the only hardware accelerated chip for OpenAL besides the X-FI. The only drawback is the Realtek Alc650 codec it uses for output and no Vista+ drivers 🙁
I remember loving it on my NF7-S 2.0 motherboard, there are also some neat control panel hacks to adjust more parameters and load SF2 soundfonts.

Reply 8 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there is an CT2770 among them, then it is the model I used in my DX2-66 back in the mid. 90's.
Decent card for such a system. Not by any chance the greatest. Just an ok card.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011