VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So today I got a black voodoo 1 card, 4MB + heatsinks on both chips. Here is a picture:

o0w9jzpl.jpg

wVHj2Knl.jpg

Got any ideea who made it?

Reply 1 of 11, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's made by A-Trend (A-Trend ATC 2465). A-Trend made cards that have been sold my other resellers, too so it's not certain that this A-Trend card came out of an original A-Trend box.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 2 of 11, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, thanks. I googled every number on it and could not find any leads, but googling A-trend Voodoo 1 brings up pictures of a very similar card, so it probably is a-trend.

Reply 3 of 11, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok so I tested the card and it works fine - one little annoying problem - with it installed, any sound blaster card I have in the system(AWE32, SB32, SB16) makes a lot of noise - crackling and fuzzing. With it removed, or my Biostar Voodoo 1 card in it's place, the noise is gone... WTF?

Anyone encountered something like this before?

Reply 5 of 11, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This also is a good site.

http://tdfx.de/eng/grafikkarten_alle.shtml

From what this site says,it seems to be a Colormaster,never heard of this brand

Reply 6 of 11, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:

Colormaster seems to have been a german cardmaker.
This is the box for their Voodoo 1:

photo-406-c0143d0a.jpg

Reply 8 of 11, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nahkri wrote:

I have a Colormaster VoodooMania, too. The Colormaster Card is an A-Trend built card 😀.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 9 of 11, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well mine is a little buggy. It causes most ISA sound cards to hum, crackle and distort... no issues with PCI sound cards whatsoever, and it works well with ISA cards on newer motherboards (newer slot 1 / socket 370 / socket A). It's a shame really, I was planing on replacing my Biostar V1 with this since it looks cooler and has heatsinks on, but all AT boards I've tested this in, and some ATX boards exhibit the same symptoms - audio distortion when using ISA sound cards. It works great otherwise. Played GLquake on it for 30 some minutes, no issues whatsoever (apart from horrible audio distortion). There is no visible damage to the card either. No scratches, bent or missing components, or signs of corrosion...

If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know. I really wanted to use this in my P166 / i430 / AWE32 rig.

Reply 10 of 11, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Well mine is a little buggy. It causes most ISA sound cards to hum, crackle and distort... no issues with PCI sound cards whatsoever, and it works well with ISA cards on newer motherboards (newer slot 1 / socket 370 / socket A). It's a shame really, I was planing on replacing my Biostar V1 with this since it looks cooler and has heatsinks on, but all AT boards I've tested this in, and some ATX boards exhibit the same symptoms - audio distortion when using ISA sound cards. It works great otherwise. Played GLquake on it for 30 some minutes, no issues whatsoever (apart from horrible audio distortion). There is no visible damage to the card either. No scratches, bent or missing components, or signs of corrosion...

If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know. I really wanted to use this in my P166 / i430 / AWE32 rig.

My QDI Brilliant board had some specific BIOS options for enabling some sort of aggressive options for PCI cards to cut back on EMI.

Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk […]
Show full quote

Auto Detect
DIMM/PCI Clk

Enables Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk, it is
helpful in reducing EMI.

You can also try setting 8-bit and 16-bit I/O recovery to a value of 1 or 2. I usually have to do this on GUS cards when using High DMA to get rid of general sound corruption.

Reply 11 of 11, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the tip. I looked into the board's bios options, but I could not find the setting you mentioned. Changing PCI latency timer to a higher setting removed quite a bit of the interference so I'll keep tweaking.