VOGONS

First post, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have a problem with a pentium 200MMX PC with a soundblaster + roland SCC-1 combo, running windows 95. Sound effects aren't working and unless I force the soundblaster to use IRQ7 instead of 5 (By changing BIOS settings, the printer port is disabled btw) the roland music would sound very wrong. This happens both in windows and pure DOS mode.
The Roland is configured to use IRQ 2 and I/O 330... The soundblaster should be using IRQ5 or 7, DMA1 and I/O 220, 300 and 388 (what are these three ranges for, actually?). Possibly windows is assigning I/O 330 instead of 300 when IRQ is set to 5? Would explain that problem but I have to check it at home.
Device manager shows no conflicts and device working properly for the SB16, but windows won't play sounds. Games do play soundblaster FM music or roland music, but no sound effects, though they do detect the sound blaster.

Any thoughts? For some reason I haven't tried to run it without the roland yet... I'll try that tonight. Other cards are a network card using IRQ10, a VGA card and voodoo1 (that I removed). Two serial ports are using IRQ3 & 4 and the printer port is disabled.

edit: I have two identical CT4170 cards and I tried them both without success

Last edited by j'ordos on 2015-09-04, 11:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Removing the Roland card didn't help and I confirmed that when the soundblaster uses IRQ5 windows uses a configuration with I/O address 330 instead of 300. That explains the wrong sounding music, but sound effects still aren't working.

Reply 2 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CT4170 is a PnP card and thus it needs init programs for DOS , windows should be fine - but you do need to change the irq/dma/address from device manager. First do that , verify in device manager that the card uses the settings you want and then move to adding SCC-1 and configuring DOS.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't just change the configuration on the drop down list on the device manager. You'll have to find one of them (excluding Configuration 0) that exposes all the IRQ/Ports (as some hardware have configs. that disable some resources) regardless of the actual values and then change each resource individually

Reply 4 of 5, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

The roland card is currently removed. When I let the BIOS automatically assign IRQs (or when I set PnP OS to yes in the BIOS) the soundblaster gets IRQ5, DMA1 & 3 and IO 220, 330 & 388 in the device manager (default setting from windows, not user defined). Device manager shows no conflicts and device working properly. I think it should work, but I have no sound in windows... Just FM music.