VOGONS

First post, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally dismantled my 286 system to replace the battery before it starts leaking. I took the opportunity to take a good picture of the board.

I can not find any information about the board at all. The board is marked "PA-5000" and it is revision F.
The chipset seems to be Chips and Technologies 82C206, also known as NEAT 😀
I have looked at http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/m/m286_i.htm but I could not find any board with similar layout.
If anyone has seen a board like it or have some information about who made the board or such I would be grateful.

My plans for this board is to install 4x4MB memory in the SIPP sockets using SIMM sockets which I already acquired. The CPU is socketed so when I find a 25MHz Harris PGA CPU* I plan to upgrade the board and install sockets for the oscillators so I can adjust the speed of the system. I also have a 10 MHz Intel 287 CPU which seems to work great at 13.33 MHz in my other 286 board so I plan to use it with this system. As I think the OSC2 oscillator on this board controlls the 287 FPUs speed this should work fine what ever speed I run the CPU at.

*If they exist, otherwise it should be possible to use a AK68PLCC-PGA socket adapter or overclock a 20MHz CPU which I know exist as PGA68.
http://www.accutekmicro.com/pdf/ProductPDF-116.pdf
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80286/Intersil- … G80C286-20.html

The BIOS settings is set with a small utility which luckily was stored on the 20MB MFM drive in the system and not on some lost floppy.
I have attached the setup utility here in case someone else ever needs it.

Filename
PA5000SETUP.zip
File size
6.28 KiB
Downloads
60 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
PA-5000_286_motherboard.JPG
Filename
PA-5000_286_motherboard.JPG
File size
4.37 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks like a pretty well laid out 286 board. I am not totally familiar wit the NEAT chipset, but according to the manual it is designed for 12 and 16MHz.

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dl/Scans-003/ … ans-0076925.pdf

The 16MHz is also stamped into the ICs, and they are socketted. To me this is a warning not to exceed 16MHz. The reason the chipset is socketted is so the chips can be replaced if they fail...which they sometimes did, because early VLSI technology wasn't advanced at that time. I would guess operation at 20 or 25MHz could risk damaging your chips.

Also, according to the manual 8mb is the max for onboard memory. I highly doubt it will support 4MB chips. You will have to get 1MB SIPPS (or SIMMs in an adapter), and combine them with higher density DRAM ICs. You can get to 16MB using ISA memory expansion, but that will likely not run at full system speed (unless you run ISA at 16MHz, which I also don't recommend).

For the system you are thinking of, you might have better luck with a board based on the Headland HT12 chipset or possibly C&T "SCAT".

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:
This looks like a pretty well laid out 286 board. I am not totally familiar wit the NEAT chipset, but according to the manual it […]
Show full quote

This looks like a pretty well laid out 286 board. I am not totally familiar wit the NEAT chipset, but according to the manual it is designed for 12 and 16MHz.

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dl/Scans-003/ … ans-0076925.pdf

The 16MHz is also stamped into the ICs, and they are socketted. To me this is a warning not to exceed 16MHz. The reason the chipset is socketted is so the chips can be replaced if they fail...which they sometimes did, because early VLSI technology wasn't advanced at that time. I would guess operation at 20 or 25MHz could risk damaging your chips.

Also, according to the manual 8mb is the max for onboard memory. I highly doubt it will support 4MB chips. You will have to get 1MB SIPPS (or SIMMs in an adapter), and combine them with higher density DRAM ICs. You can get to 16MB using ISA memory expansion, but that will likely not run at full system speed (unless you run ISA at 16MHz, which I also don't recommend).

For the system you are thinking of, you might have better luck with a board based on the Headland HT12 chipset or possibly C&T "SCAT".

Thanks for the information!

I will have to use my PC Chips M209 for some 25 MHz 286 adventures it seems. It has a PLCC socket so its easier anyway but the M209 only supports 4MB onboard memory.

Installing sockets for the oscillators would still be nice though as it would alow me to slow down the system more for running early 80s games. I will still try 4MB SIMMs just in case the board will accept two of them or see half the size otherwise I will get another 24* high density DIPs together with 4x1MB SIMMs so I can max it out at 8MB.

*I already have 8 from the M209 PC Chips board which now runs 4x1MB 30pin SIMMs in the SIPP slots using SIMM sockets.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 9, by p1p1p1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello today i have found same board, i have just found it is PROWTEC PA-5000 and it was mounted in LogoStar personal computer, model no: 286/16,
my board has faulty battery, i have just replaced it with battery CR2032 socket on long legs 😀 i have complete workstation but it is not running, serial port card was burned out, i have found faulty 10uF/16V capacitors in short circuit, i have replaced them, now im trying to repair this board and any help, jumper settings or anything can help me

Reply 4 of 9, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can not find a "PROWTEC PA-5000" to look at.
Do you have more information?
Another name for it?
The BIOS string might help if you have one.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 9, by p1p1p1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

good news everyone,
i have fixed motherboard without any datasheet, manual etc.
-bad two tantal capacitors on 12V and -12V lines
-bad battery
then board starts booting but with BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP beep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP beep code,

it was just bad 74ALS245AN on the edge of board, i replaced it and board starts working normally 😀

i have additional info about workstation manufacturer:
LogoStar
Mariahilfer Strasse 47/5
A-1060 Wien
(company doesnt exist anymore)
board is:
PROWTEC PA-5000
BIOS:
Phoenix 80286 ROM BIOS PLUS Verison 3.10 22
in bios:
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
System Configuration Setup V4.02.1

i didnt found any bios standard tag, identification, nothing ...

i have changed RLL/MFM controller because it is faulty and after hours of trying another controllers i have used ide RAID CARD.
my hardware configuration:
-8bit ISA COM+LPT ports card, originally with workstation, fixed faulty tantal
-8bit ISA CT1350 sound blaster
-8/16bit ISA TRIDENT TVGA9000C (i need vga output, i also have original paradise EGA)
-8/16bit ISA TULIP AMD PCNET NCC-16 - changed to 3com etherlink III (better compatibility)
-8/16it ISA IDE RAID CARD TEKRAM with 4x SIMM 30PIN CACHE 4MB
-FLASH IDE drive 128MB
-3.5 and 5.25 floppy
-512kb RAM

what i plan for the future:
-add 287 koprocessor, if i get it somewhere for cheap price
-add 4x 30pin simm slot ram adapter into original pin- legs on board and 4x 1M simm ram module or 2MB or 4MB - i must try if board can handle so much

aditional info:
-do not overclock cpu, cpu and chipset are not suitable to run faster (20MHz etc.)

Last edited by p1p1p1 on 2019-12-05, 23:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 9, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good job!

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 7 of 9, by p1p1p1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks 😉

i have here one aditional quest:
originally there was 3.5 floppy connected on MFM/RLL controller
TEAC FD-235HF 218-U
p.no: 19307322-18
and it doesnt work on today IDE controller, i think there is 6 rows 2 pins jumper field with descriptions:
H HO
OP
LHI
HHI
D1
D0
and FG is soldered jumper on board.
for RLL is OP and D1 jumper populated, i dont know if it is also correct for IDE controller 🙁 when i try to find this teac model, everywhere is 3x6 jumper field 🙁

Reply 8 of 9, by p1p1p1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

-added 4 simm 30pin slots, added 4x1MB simm ram and it works 😀
i have also tried 30pin 4MB modules, but MB recognizes max 1MB per slot ...
-fixed problem with basic memory, 640KB
-dumped bios, fixed memory management problem, burned back, now 640base memory, 360k reserved for high memory + simm modules are recognized, previously only 640KB and simm modules or 640 +360 when memory remaping 640-1M was enabled in bios and 640+4x1MBsimm when disabled

Reply 9 of 9, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have same 286 Board here, but it has PA-2040 and PA-5000 on pcb. Which PA-5000 is overpainted with marker.

My PROWTEC PA-2040 is very fast (20Mhz and zero waitstate for DRAM, Landmark-benchmark tell me: i have 27Mhz AT )

Attachments

• PA2040_!.jpg
    Filename
    PA2040_!.jpg
    File size
    668.47 KiB
    Views
    File license