VOGONS

First post, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I built a Win98 / DOS machine, based on Asus P3B-F (dual ISA) and a PIII.
The idea was to run many Win98 and DOS games on it, so for a good compatibility I put the AWE64 and the GUS PNP together.
Followed Phil's guide to DOS mode, which gave me AWE64 detected correctly after installing his driver pack.

As soon as I plug the GUS PNP, CTCM complains at boot showing up this error messages:

ERROR: Bad Resource Data Checksum (Vendor ID 0) Expected=f8 Actual=0
ERROR: Bad Resource Data Checksum (Vendor ID 100561e) Expected=f8 Actual=0

This makes AWE64 FM synth silent (tested with DOOM). If the GUS PNP is not plugged into the motherboard, there is no error message and FM works fine.

GUS DOS drivers aren't installed, only Windows drivers. This GUS works without any issue on Windows.

Is it possible to have both cards running on the system?

Any help is appreciated

Reply 2 of 7, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosfriend wrote:
Recently I built a Win98 / DOS machine, based on Asus P3B-F (dual ISA) and a PIII. The idea was to run many Win98 and DOS games […]
Show full quote

Recently I built a Win98 / DOS machine, based on Asus P3B-F (dual ISA) and a PIII.
The idea was to run many Win98 and DOS games on it, so for a good compatibility I put the AWE64 and the GUS PNP together.
Followed Phil's guide to DOS mode, which gave me AWE64 detected correctly after installing his driver pack.

As soon as I plug the GUS PNP, CTCM complains at boot showing up this error messages:

This makes AWE64 FM synth silent (tested with DOOM). If the GUS PNP is not plugged into the motherboard, there is no error message and FM works fine.

GUS DOS drivers aren't installed, only Windows drivers. This GUS works without any issue on Windows.

Is it possible to have both cards running on the system?

Any help is appreciated

There is a special PnP config utility out there that allows you to reduce the resources stolen by the card (and they use a lot!) http://dk.toastednet.org/GUS/utils/iweeprom13.zip. Try using that to reduce it and let me know if it helps for you. I've been able to get one to coexist with a Synergy ViperMax/GUS Extreme and in another computer with a GUS MAX so it's certainly possible, but it is tricky.

Also be sure one of the cards has their joystick port disabled (may require a jumper change). Those can clash and GUS steals an invisible baseport +100. I.e. using 220 will silently steal 320 as well.

What I typically do is set the SB cards at 220 and the GUS cards at 240. Be sure you are disabling the CD-ROM crap too as that also steals something in the 300 range and will clash with the GUS IC and make the card fail to detect. On the GUS MAX cards you have to set the CD-ROM to something unused (i.e. 360) even if it's set to disabled it still allocates that port. GUS PnP may have similar behaviour.

Reply 3 of 7, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is this update disk as well for reduced resource usage on GUS: http://dk.toastednet.org/GUS/drivers/PNP/20/P20DISK3.ZIP

Run this first, then the iweeeprom13.zip to further tune the resource usage.

Reply 4 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosfriend wrote:
As soon as I plug the GUS PNP, CTCM complains at boot showing up this error messages: […]
Show full quote

I get the exact same CTCM errors on my machine (also AWE64 PNP + GUS PNP.) But aside from that I have no problems at all with this setup, the AWE FM & every other feature of the card works fine.

Have you tried installing the GUS DOS drivers & seeing what options that gives you? I think there's a way to disable the GUS OPL emulation. I wonder if it's 'on' by default and is conflicting with the SB.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 7, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many thanks for all your help!
FM Music was playing without problems with this error, but my mixer settings were incorrect so I thought it didn't work.

I was able to fix CTCM error using Maraakate's linked tool:

PNPMAP /f GRAVNOCD.ROM did the trick 😀

It seems that GUS CD interface was conflicting with AWE64. My bios settings are set to PNP=yes anyways...

Cheers!

Reply 7 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool, glad you got it going!
A useful trick with the AWE64 is to attrib CTMIX.CFG and CTPNP.CFG to read-only once you've dialed in a setup you like. The drivers like to change working configs for no discernible reason on boot sometimes (yay PnP.) Making the config files read-only will prevent that and 'lock in' everything you've set up. (You can still change the mixer on the fly as normal, but it will go back to the defaults you've set on reboot.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!