VOGONS

First post, by Tomelloso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello friends I have 3 pc retro running and want buy some control pad or joystick era of conectro 15 pin, I'm looking at second-hand pages or on ebay I would like you to tell me your favorite retro control knobs for PC DOS / Win 95 / 98 and win is very important that to this day can locate an corresponding drivers somewhere

which they are the controls that you like microsoft, genius, creative, saitek ???
utilizais that controls you and your experiences you have settings ???

Reply 1 of 17, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Logitech Precision (usb) for retro boxes running Windows 98 (& at least dx8.1).

Gravis Gamepad Pro for everything else (with gameport connector)

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 2 of 17, by Tomelloso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

anyone knows anything about this joystick ????

Attachments

• mando.JPG
    Filename
    mando.JPG
    File size
    104.93 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    anyone knows anything about this joystick ????
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 17, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GeorgeMan wrote:

I've got the original and the pro but my pro is USB - are you talking about an adaptor or a game port version? My combo back in the day was the original gamepad and a Flightstick Pro. That died (the only piece of equipment that has ever died on me, but at least it was through overuse) so now I have a Logitech Wingman (I think that's what it's called), which can do USB or game port. Anything with a hat and throttle control would do though. Oh and I've got a Logitech steering wheel and pedals setup with force feedback but that's really only for Windows. I used to really like using my Flightstick for playing F1GP.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 5 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS this , but sadly it has only 1 fire button (mirrored left and right):

WP_20140804_009_zpsce4c2a34.jpg

WP_20140723_002_zps590f79e0.jpg

then it's this , same arcade-machine mechanism , more buttons but they are stiff...

201304211138371_zpsa8cefbbe.jpg

201304211138171_zpsd8b1dcc8.jpg

these are Greek sticks of the era though, no idea if you can find any on eBay

I also like the Logic3 SwiftPad :

2repdac.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 17, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

W98 USB joystick for flying games: Either the Saitek Aviator AV8B, or Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold [vSD6 drivers -W98/XP/W7]. Both have throttle handle and twist action grip to replicate rudder axis. Very precise action, programmable, and small footprint with no need to source a large set of rudder pedals or secondary throttle quadrant.

Reply 7 of 17, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For DOS:
Gravis Gamepad (The original white dogbone)
CH Products GameStick 3D (They are incredibly rare, but it's an all-in-one 3-axis stick with 4-way hat and throttle that works perfectly in DOS.)
CH FlightStick Pro (Great stick, but no rudder-twist action. Add pedals and throttle for a true HOTAS.)
Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro (Also an awesome stick for Win9x. This is probably your best bet.)

For Win9x:
Sony Playstation Dual-Shock Gamepad (Get a USB adapter so you can use it on your PC.)
Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro (Ambidextrous and fully programmable.)
Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro (Slightly more accurate than the 3D Pro, but not ambidextrous and no DOS support.)
Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro (Awesome stick with full Win9x support and programming software.)
Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner 2 (Like the Fox 2 Pro, but this is a HOTAS version.)
Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X & HOTAS X (Exactly the same as the Fox 2 Pro and Afterburner 2, but without programming software. However, you can still use JoyToKey v3.79 under Win9x to accomplish any programming needs.)

If you just get the original Gravis dogbone gamepad and a MS SideWinder 3D Pro, you'll be fine in both DOS and Win9x. This is what I would recommend.

Reply 8 of 17, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

If you just get the original Gravis dogbone gamepad and a MS SideWinder 3D Pro, you'll be fine in both DOS and Win9x. This is what I would recommend.

+1

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10 of 17, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
GeorgeMan wrote:

I've got the original and the pro but my pro is USB - are you talking about an adaptor or a game port version? My combo back in the day was the original gamepad and a Flightstick Pro. That died (the only piece of equipment that has ever died on me, but at least it was through overuse) so now I have a Logitech Wingman (I think that's what it's called), which can do USB or game port. Anything with a hat and throttle control would do though. Oh and I've got a Logitech steering wheel and pedals setup with force feedback but that's really only for Windows. I used to really like using my Flightstick for playing F1GP.

This:

NpkUixVl.png

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 11 of 17, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly I don't get the hype for the Gravis gamepads. I had both styles in the 90's, the original and the PS1-like, and really hated the d-pad compared to Sega, Nintendo and Sony console controllers of the time. Maybe it was the best of a bad situation, but I'm still looking for a better option.

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro is the absolute best non-Force Feedback stick for Win9x, I had a couple and liked it more than the Precision 2's which replaced it out of necessity under XP. For FF, you would want the FF counterpart and the second series is probably preferable over the Force Feedback Pro. For DOS, I would assume genuine Thrustmaster and CH gear is tops.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 12 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got both a Gravis Gamepad and a Gravis Gamepad Pro. Wrote a bit about them here.

I am normally a keyboard player, but for fun the other day I tried playing Prince of Persia with the Gravis Gamepad, and found out that the DPad is too sensitive on the diagonals. To the point where it feels defective. It is almost impossible to hold either direction (left or right) and have the character go straight. Within a couple of seconds, it picks up either the up or the down, and executes a diagonal motion instead (jump or crouch). It is completely unplayable.

I am not sure whether the hardware is defective, or perhaps some calibration is necessary. But then again, it is a pad, not a stick, so it's supposed to be digital, not analog. Is calibration even a factor for such devices?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 17, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

firage, dr_st,

Over time, and with the exception of the original Gravis dogbone controller, I have found your comments regarding the Gravis gamepads to be true. I don't know if this is something that happens to them with time and age, or if it was always this way. I have a couple of Gravis Destroyer gamepads that I used to love, but (like dr_st's comments indicate) are now completely unusable.

For DOS games, the original dogbone controller is still great and works just fine. Fortunately, DOS games usually don't require too much in the way of a controller. However, for Windows games I still think that the Sony PSX/PS2 Dual-Shock controllers are the best. You just need to use JoyToKey or XPadder or something to program them the way you like. I actually like them so much that I still use them even with XP and Win7. The only reason I purchased an XBox gamepad (Thrustmaster GPX Lightback) is because so many modern games seem to be designed specifically for that exact controller. Otherwise, the Sony controllers are still far superior.

Reply 14 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS/TQS/RCS combo or CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals combo.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 15 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

Over time, and with the exception of the original Gravis dogbone controller, I have found your comments regarding the Gravis gamepads to be true...
For DOS games, the original dogbone controller is still great and works just fine.

Somehow I missed (or misunderstood) the significance of your reply back then.

I have seen at least three versions of the Gravis Gamepad "dog bone" controler. Some have a simple plastic-only connector, some have the metal connector with the screws. Some have "Gravis" written in the company font and "PC Gamepad" in italic print, and some have "Gravis" in a simple font, and "PC Gamepad" in handwritten-style font.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OVcAAOSwgQ9VkLpJ/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Wd0AAOSwFqJWsO~a/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/LtMAAOSwkZhWSpi6/s-l1600.jpg

Are there any known differences between them? Different production lines / times? Are some of them knock-offs?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 16 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, here are my favorites for retro PC.

12509806_10208703664535493_5356977755883512417_n.jpg?oh=7f7eb1427a9ff2d4be1dd1cc3944a8e9&oe=5760F226

12508845_10208703665295512_4616019255137272151_n.jpg?oh=3c79d08bc2a994a46bc6bd893c4f4683&oe=576F145D

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.