VOGONS

Anyone collect foreign computers?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not many computers manufactured in my country so I guess they all foreign. I have one Finnish built PC with Pinus brand, but all the parts inside are still foreign so not sure if that counts as non-foreign.

Reply 21 of 31, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, watch those voltages. I blew up an imported PSU because I forgot to toggle the voltage switch before connecting it to the mains.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 22 of 31, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of mine are foreign. Of US, UK or Asian origin. With the occasional local x86 clone.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 23 of 31, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I live in Japan, so local for me but...
Sharp X68000 XVI
Fujitsu FM Towns UX20
Fujitsu FM Towns Fresh
Panasonic MSX Turbo-R A1ST
PC-9801 BX2

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 24 of 31, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Foreign computers don't interest me except maybe an MSX, but I've never put any effort into getting one.
I do take interest in some Japanese game consoles and games, and have a few mainstream ones (nothing rare).

Reply 25 of 31, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really, they rarely work and most of them are proprietary so not much chance of a successful repair.
They are also severely overpriced because "vintage" and "foreign". I just don't see the point in spending $1000 on a single computer when I can buy 20-30 for that price.

Reply 26 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless you're from Taiwan or China, the chance any computer is completely 'native' is minuscule. Crack open any of those boxes proclaiming "made in the USA" and you'll find piles of sub-assemblies from elsewhere. Sort of reminds me of "Make America Great Again" caps... made in China 😜

Where computers actually come from is a fascinating story to investigate though. Take Packard Bell. In the mid 1990s, while they were still being sold in the US, it was acquired by NEC (a Japanese company), but design was moved to their Angers plant in France. Most of their ATX-era boxes were ODM manufactured by Mitac in Taiwan. At some point PB stopped selling their systems in the US, but outside of that market nothing much changed. Then Acer (another Taiwanese company) bought the brand from NEC. Design & marketing moved from NEC's Angers plant to the existing support center in Wijchen in the Netherlands.

This is in no way exceptional, you can follow any other brand in the same way. Most of it rotates around big Taiwanese (or these days: Chinese) ODM houses. We live in a globalized world and our tech is equally global and already was at the dawn of the PC era. Take an IBM 5150 apart and even though the box was actually made in the US, there are parts from all over the place in there. So tell me: which computer isn't "foreign"? Possibly only some former USSR systems built with locally cloned parts could even hope to qualify.

Reply 27 of 31, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mean, I'd love to own something really out there and obscure like a PC98 or X68000.

But the cost to use ratio is really what puts a dent in it. Id be in those for more then my other setups and it's not like parts are easily available on eBay if something breaks.

Otherwise the only "Foreign" computer I'v ever drooled over to own one day would be an Amiga. That's a possibility.

Reply 28 of 31, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Amiga was pretty much international? I know they were exceptionally common in the UK and Europe, I've seen them for sale in Japan(not often, but BEEP had a few last year) and Commodore was an American company so I'd assume they were fairly common there?

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 29 of 31, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-07-04, 13:05:

Sort of reminds me of "Make America Great Again" caps... made in China 😜

I'm not sure what company you're referring to, but there's lots of caps with random names made in China. They print something on the sleeve and sell them in the gray market for a while, and then change the name.

So tell me: which computer isn't "foreign"?

A computer that was marketed in your country, so it's not an exotic thing to find where you are.

Reply 30 of 31, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd love to get my hands on some machines that were common overseas like a PC-98 or Tandy. Sadly prices and compatibility are a bit of an issue.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-08, 03:11. Edited 1 time in total.

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1

Reply 31 of 31, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Comecon computers are awesome if you can find one in working condition. The problem is that not many of these were made (<5-10.000/series), they were often unreliable and the lack of spare parts was a huge problem even back then. As soon as the Comecon region went belly-up people got rid of these obsolete computers and bought better ones from Western companies.
Getting a single working Iskra-1030 is harder than getting the entire IBM PS/2 line.