VOGONS

First post, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have a new 486 machine that's giving me some trouble. When I tested it in the thrift store it booted into Win 3.11 perfectly fine, but also made note to bark at me for a dying CMOS battery. So, upon getting it home, I de-soldered the old Ni-CAD, and installed an external AAA battery pack. From there I proceeded to reset the BIOS to defaults and then boot up the system.

As of now however I'm receiving a continuous floppy and HDD controller failure message upon booting the system. I tried a few known good and working IDE controllers and all of them failed. What exactly did I do wrong? I reset the BIOS to prevent any issues after having swapped the battery. So, I'm confused as to what may have gone wrong.

I attached pictures of my board's chipset, all relevant BIOS setting screens and the initial error screen as well. Any possible solutions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.29 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.39 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.09 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Mod_Man_Extreme on 2015-09-23, 07:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remove the external battery pack and look if it still happens.
Did you reset the Bios by a jumper or different.
If by jumper check if the jumper is seated well and that the inner metal piece is connected ok.

For the rest I can't imagine what would cause this.. perhaps you slightly hit some chip while working on it and is one of the feet that attach to the board bent/damaged?

Reply 2 of 9, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So far I've reset the BIOS multiple times, pulled the battery multiple times, and checked everything over until I was blue in the face but, still nothing.

So, I decided I'd go ahead and build the AM386DX-40 system I had lying around for some time only to have the same errors appear there. All subsequent tries yielded the same errors. As of right now I'm extremely confused. I'm NOT familiar with XT/AT systems (I grew up with all Pentium era gear), and as a result do not really know much outside of the absolute basics regarding their particulars.

As of right now, all my controller cards are 'failing' in both my 386 and 486 machines. I don't know why, and it makes no sense. The systems boot, check RAM fine, the HDD spins up, it's heads self-test, and then the computer just hangs and proceeds to spit out "HDD Controler Failure" and "Floppy Controller Failure" regardless of what I do. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the BIOS but, I have no other controller cards to test at this point. I only have two as of right now, one Acer UN-1051, and an IDEPLUS-V4. Changing ISA slots or swapping video cards and RAM has not made a difference either.

Any more thoughts? This is really confusing and I'd like to get these systems up and running. They're the only two white box systems I have (well, the 386 is a Contaq-built generic tower), and I'd really like to get them up and running.

Reply 4 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

That is weird. Dit you try different cables and drives?

And to be more specific, is the HDD or FDD cable accidentally upside down? So pin 1 is the red wire and it connects to pin 1 on both HDD and controller card?

Reply 5 of 9, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need to find the pin 1 which is marked on the controller and always the red wire indicates the pin 1 in most of the IDE and Floppy cables and the pin 1 on floppy drives is located on the most left pins on the drive and on the HDD is located on the left side of the Molex connector, hope this helps you, sometimes this can be a pain to identify which is the correct pin 1 spot, happened to me on boards with integrated controller

Reply 6 of 9, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried flipping the cables around multiple times on both ends with no luck so far. I know that if I have them flipped the wrong way the HDD will NOT spin up at all, and the HDD & floppy will illuminate their lights constantly to signify an error.

Reply 7 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cables and drives can also have the rows inverted so pin 1 is where pin 2 should be and so on... its really hard to figure out as the floppy led isnt constantly on as with a flipped cable.

I have both such cables and drives.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 9, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried all of my floppy drives and HDD's (about 7-10 of each), all pins are visibly marked on both the components and I/O boards themselves. I know all the drives work as I've tested and run them on multiple systems to confirm functionality. I've run out of IDE and floppy cables to test at this point (about 30 of them), and am still scratching my head as to what could be the issue. Could there be some sort of BIOS conflict or issue preventing the controller card from operating properly?

I'm going to try piggybacking the I/O controllers onto one of my other systems to see if I can find out whether the cards are dead. Is there supposed to be some sort of I/O controller BIOS screen or something as well? All I get before the MOBO screen is the typical VGA bios screen and that's it.

Reply 9 of 9, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen something very similar to this last night - I had problems with one controller working, then my other controller didn't work either. In the end I had accidentally only put the IDE cable on one set of the connector pins, although I'm not convinced there isn't another problem.

I'm also having issues with read errors on my floppy drive - which is impossible, because it's a floppy emulator reading off an SD card! I've tried swapping cables and SD cards.

My worry is that perhaps the motherboard is on the way out.