VOGONS

First post, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want Voodoo 3 for PCIE and Sound Blaster AWE32 for PCI and PCIE 😀

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 1 of 19, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like a fully DOS compatible AWE64 or GUS PnP (Interwave) clone, with 16 or 32MB of RAM, on a PCMCIA card with MIDI i/o dongle. I would be willing to pay QUITE a lot of money for one if one should happen to be made.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 19, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The unreleased Voodoo Rampage!!!

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were PCI versions of AWE64, so a PCI AWE32 is pretty redundant. Also, the PCI slot doesn't expose DMA and IRQs like ISA does, so the PCI AWE64 was incompatible with DOS games unless using SBLink.

Here is my "never gonna happen wish list":

• ISA: AWE64 Gold with full 28MB of RAM onboard, true OPL3 (or ESFM - even better) core and a wavetable header (I'd put a GUS as another card to be remade, but there is a Project for that already =) )
  • PCI: Yamaha YMF7x4 variant with a good (able to house big daugherboards) wavetable header, more channels/higher sample rates/24-bits, and high-end DAC
  • PCIe: Greatly enhanced Voodoo4 in a single chip design, with a Voodoo1 core for old DOS glide games... all with a single card!

Reply 5 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Videocard:
Voodoo3, and voodoo5 for universal AGP and PCI-E.

Soundcard:
AWE64-Gold combined with GUS-Classic, with a wavetable header and an OPL3-Chip thrown in, for the ISA-Slot.
(kind of think that this would be the ultimate ISA-Card ever concieved)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo 6000, GUS Ace, PAS, AWE64 Gold, with proper General MIDI support in DOS (MPU401) and ability to load standard SoundFonts.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually... Would love to see an TNT2-ultra with 128mb ram and for the PCI-E slot.
It should be able to run at around 500mhz.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 19, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With modern buses and operating systems supporting crazy things like multi-GPU rendering, PCIe passthrough and GPU switching, a PCIe-based Bitchin' Fast! 3D 2000 might actually work! 😁

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 10 of 19, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Die shrunk VSA100 running at 250MHz+ maybe with DDR (so VSA101?) on a 1.5v AGP bus (with more ram, optional).

Basically I feel that 3dfx didn't push the VSA100 chip hard enough. I feel that if the V4 was ~6month earlier and running at 200MHz+ it may have competed with the Geforce 2 MX.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 11 of 19, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For ISA i would like to see a sound card that would save me ISA slots like, a hybrid SB Pro 2 + Interwave + EMU8000. As far as video cards, i would vote for a custom ISA SVGA chipset with 100% Hercules, CGA and EGA compatibility.

Oh and a full set Tandy graphics and sound card.

Reply 13 of 19, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An AGP NVidia card more modern than the 7000 series. Needs to have good H.264 acceleration, and of course more gaming performance. Doesn't necessarily need to be the ultimate powerhouse - something like an AGP GT240 would be cool.

Late 3Dfx cards. Obviously there's a lot of demand for them compared to their current population. Make them bulletproof, and if anything is changed in terms of features, then focus on maximizing their backward compatibility to earlier Glide games.

An "ultimate" legacy ISA Sound Blaster AWE32 with low noise, genuine OPL3, no hanging notes bug, simple jumper based configuration without PnP, and quality capacitors.

Reply 14 of 19, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

An "ultimate" legacy ISA Sound Blaster AWE32 with low noise, genuine OPL3, no hanging notes bug, simple jumper based configuration without PnP, and quality capacitors.

Amen. And intelligent MPU. And supporting larger soundfonts.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15 of 19, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

preferably as USB but anything will work:
ES audio drive fm
orchid soundwave32
Akai sg01v
kawai gmega
ANY OF the turtle beach cards
inovation SSI 2001
Covox sound master
bank street music writer card
IBM music feature/yamaha fb01
casio csm1

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 16 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All the goodness of Roland on a single ISA board for cheaps and produced in piles and piles all for me to stock up with! 😁
Voodoo 2 (need I say more? 😁)
Voodoo 3 with better better clockrates and lower power dissipation. Just sturdy ones that work with the old drivers. Both PCI and AGP versions.
Voodoo 4 with the full amount of memory this GPU can support in both PCI and AGP versions
Voodoo 5 6k, just so I can finally have one 😁
Sound Blaster 64 AWE gold ISA with either the memory upgrade already installed or with memory sockets in case the memory needs to be replaced (please make this option one where one doesn't need to have any soldering skills 😊 ).
Sound Blaster 32 ISA (any version for flexibility) with the option to upgrade the RAM with 72p SIMMs as these are way more common than the 16MB 30p ones and with better quality and without that hanging note bug that everyone here seems to be talking about.
That Diamond made PCI sound card with the Yamaha chip (I can't remember it's model name, but it was sold at around 1997, I always liked it)
S3 Virge for ISA slot with 4MB memory (and if that's impossible, then I'd want the closest likable VGA chip in ISA that one could possibly make).
Vortex sound cards (the best possible one), I think these were PCI?
Geforce 6800 Ultra Deluxe 512MB XXZ-DDRRAM AGP low power dissipation Collector Edition for the masses! 😁

A single package of PCBs of all the more important MIDI daughterboards (so one PCB for each retro upgrade thingy, I don't have any 😢 )

Dit I forget anything?

Standard Def Steve wrote:

With modern buses and operating systems supporting crazy things like multi-GPU rendering, PCIe passthrough and GPU switching, a PCIe-based Bitchin' Fast! 3D 2000 might actually work! 😁

Yes! I want one! Givvitomenow! 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 19, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It'd be neat to see a modern graphics card with complete backwards compatibility with D3D 5-7 and Glide, or a modern sound card with fully working EAX and A3D 2.0 implementations. An existing piece that I'd want reproduced would be Roland LAPC-I.

My big-red-switch 486