VOGONS

Reply 21 of 23, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skalabala wrote on 2022-05-09, 20:39:

Disabling L3 is always slower. In newer games older games synthetic benchmarks you name it. Especially if you have an ALi chipset with 1Mb cache. The performance gain is clear 😀

Every benchmark I've tried has shown that the motherboard cache on my Asus TXP4 lowers memory bandwidth when combined with a K6-3+ CPU (regardless of whether the memory is within the cacheable limit or not). Every benchmark I've tried with my two MVP3 Super 7 motherboards has shown that leaving the motherboard's cache enabled when combined with a K6+ CPU increases performance, though it falls off sharply if you exceed the cacheable memory limitation.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 22 of 23, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes the TPX4 has slow cache vs the K6+ If your motherboard has 5ns or 4ns cache chips then you can adjust timings to be faster.
I actually want to test L3 performance on win XP, I have seen that XP has superior memory bandwidth when testing with Sisoft Sandra.

Reply 23 of 23, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skalabala wrote on 2022-05-09, 20:39:

Disabling L3 is always slower. In newer games older games synthetic benchmarks you name it. Especially if you have an ALi chipset with 1Mb cache. The performance gain is clear 😀

I can confirm results both ways. It’s try and find out it seems. Though if ss7 it always seems to be faster to leave enabled.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)