VOGONS

Reply 60 of 65, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
Putas wrote:

Benchmarking the Matrox G400 MAX at the moment. Very good VGA output quality, reference level.

Image quality is fantastic, its a decent card let down by its poor OpenGL performance 😢 It's no Quake 3 Card.

It does very well in 3DMark 99, up there with the TNT2 Ultra.

Great work as always Phil 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 61 of 65, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A quote from Tomshardware 3Dfx Voodoo3 review http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/preview-3 … oo3,100-10.html:

I would also like to criticize 3Dfx's ambitious claims Voodoo3 would run games at no less than 60 fps at 1280x1024. Have a look at my benchmarks and check if Voodoo3 was anywhere near 60 fps at resolution of even less than 1024x768.

Judging by Phil's benchmarks 3Dfx actually kept its promise, just needs a faster processor.

Reply 63 of 65, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Bugger, that reminds me to keep working on this project 😁

Why do you think I brought the thread back up? 😀

Btw, did you replace old thermal compound on your Matrox G400 card? Because I have an idea for you. You could make short videos on how to safely replace thermal compound on old video cards. 😀

Reply 64 of 65, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I re-started this project again 😀

I just had way too many benchmarks and it became a chore and not retro fun :tired:

So I threw out a few tests and it's now much easier to manage. I also did new charts, learnt a few Excel things on the way and we are back in business.

I can now add everything in a sheet and produce whatever charts I'm after.

Here the first fruit of my labour, a few 16 bit benchmarks of popular Windows 98 retro gaming graphics cards!

Info about the test bench machine and so on can be found here: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/p4-306---w98- … benchmarks.html

The 32 bit charts have more resolutions up to 1600 x 1200.

Findings so far:

Voodoo: Super compatible, everything works. 16 bit looks extremely nice.

Nvidia: Super compatible, everything work.

Matrox: Faster than I thought. Didn't run into driver issues.

ATI: 3DMark99 MAX had a weird glitch, showing extremely high FPS but lagging. At 1600 x 1200 the image is duplicated on the sides of my monitor.

E5rXsRVh.png

1eW6aXNh.png

MBaDWXAh.png

WiEfAWAh.png

yLJUC8Qh.png

k0uzunqh.png

9YPXndKh.png

T51cLvnh.png

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 65 of 65, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm reading now the benchmarks, and I am trying them in Windows 98SE machine that I have just built, with an impressive Pentium 3 1000mhz with 512MB of RAM.

I have various video cards, here is the list:

· leadtek winfast 3d s320v (TNT2 Vanta LT 16MB RAM)
· ATi Radeon 7000 64MB RAM
· ATi Radeon 9550SE 128MB RAM
· ATi Radeon 9800PRO 128MB RAM

PS: I also have got a great Geforce 256 SDR (Creative Blaster Annhilator CT6940) but unfortunately it seems not working even if the fan spin...uff...I will try it in other system

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.