VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sold my work laptop in order to build an small desktop computer for home usage. The case is an Dell Vostro 220 G45 Chipset motherboard with an 300W LiteON power supply.
Currently inside this computer is an:

Intel Dual Core E5200 , Nvidia GT440 1GB DDR3 65W TDP, 2x1GB DDR2 Samsung, 1x640GB WD Blue, DVD-RW DL drive

I am planning on expanding this configuration with:

Intel Xeon E5450 3GHz 80W TDP , 2x2GB DDR2 Samsung , 1x 640GB WD Blue (two in total), Creative Xtreme Music SB0460 and an PCI-E WiFI n mode card

With doing some calculation from the information i was able to obtain this power supply of 300W will barely fit into the required power consumption. Can any one confirm that this configuration will work with the present 300W LiteON power supply (exact model PS-6301-6)?
I would like to keep it original in terms of number of cables and such.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

Don't have a socket power meter?
Although you'd really wanna run your psu at 50% usage for better efficiency

Those LCD meteres that meassure power consumption from socket? I dont think its easy to find one here.
What I am concerned about is that this PSU will give up, die, from the load put on it.

I used some online calculator thing to calculate required PSU wattage for optimal usage, it calculated around 250W and recomended an 310W psu.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 4, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those online calculators can be pretty inaccurate, as they do not take in consideration the distribution of the power lines... If this PSU has most of its power in the 12V lines and is good quality, it will probably hold out pretty well. The best test, though, is to leave the machine open, stress test it and, while doing so, use a multimeter and a molex connector to see if nothing is getting out of spec. Of course, if you have an osciloscope, it is even better, as you'd be able to measure ripple and other stuff.