VOGONS

Would this be a good BeOS system?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a good question, video capture, mp3 playback, a nicely documented system to program for, out of the box, it was nice at the time.
For the most well known games, you have the classic ID FPSes, Abuse, Hopkins FBI, Worms Armageddon, Civilization Call to Power and there's the only english port of Corum III if you're into korean RPG (a bit too niche perhaps!), and antique ports of Dosbox and Scummvm are available.
Sure, the printer support was (and is) almost non existent, and nowadays the web browser is quite clearly outdated, but it made computing fun again for a while, for me atleast.
I'll admit I never really tried OS/2, so I should change that sometime.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 21 of 25, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cheers. I might install it for giggles some time. I note that Corum III appears to be out for Windows, too, but if it was BeOS only for the English port that's definitely a differentiating factor.

OS/2 - great at the time, not so much now. Games wise Galactic Civilisations 2 still stands out. Links looked lovely at the time, but I was never in to golf. Avarice had impressive visuals for the time, but is a flawed game and a decent illustration of providing too much choice to the player. Hopkins FBI is also available for OS/2 but gathered poor reviews for its gameplay. There were various other games, but nothing I can remember standing out.

There's a couple of interesting drawing and networking apps I'm keeping a VM around for.

Reply 22 of 25, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Yeah. I know that there are plenty of pirated iso's out there. I just don't want to do it. Besides, that I don't know how to bur […]
Show full quote
lolo799 wrote:

Finding it is easy, and you can always use the personal edition in case nobody helps you track down an BeOS 5 disc or .iso image.

Yeah. I know that there are plenty of pirated iso's out there. I just don't want to do it.
Besides, that I don't know how to burn any of those correctly. So eighter buy an original or I just avoid BeOS.
I will be looking for a cheap original none the less.

Wasn't personal edition available for free from the beginning? I may be mistaken.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 25 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a lot of project's at the moment. First I have to make the time for arranging my daughters birthday on saturday.
Yeah.... 7 years old.... And where did those years fly away to? 😳

Then I have to complete that 486 that I have planned for, and finally I have to find time to sell off some of my Socket-A stuff.
After all that, I have the time to take a second look at this machine. Have made a test installation, and it runs good.
Now I need to source an original BeOS, that I can buy for a low cost. The goal is still Os/2 + BeOS in dualboot.
Just to have something non-microsoft in my collection of running machines.

Could be years before it is completely finished. I just do not mind waiting that long for it to be finished.
Might buy an Amiga-PPC down the road, before my BeBox are finished. Or possible have a fork of AROS in the "BeBox" too.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011