VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. What's best forceware version for a geforce 6xxx under win98?

I tried the first driver to support the cards (61.76), but I get a fatal exception 00 when trying to launch a Direct3D app. I tried the next release (66.42), but lighting doesn't work correctly in some games. 71.84 is not compatible with some older games (Dungeon Keeper II) and neither is 81.98.

All suggestions welcome.

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I wouldn't use such cards under Windows 98. FX series would be as fast / modern as I'd like to go.

Just stick with the latest drivers. Some games won't work, too bad, don't play these games on such fast cards. It's all about matching cards with games. Focus on later games that still need Windows 98 for A3D for example, but are more demanding.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

The two drivers I remember using with my GF6600 are 77.72 and tweaked unofficial 82.69; both worked fine with the Win9x games I have.

BTW, Phil is right. GF6 series dropped support for some features that older games may need (8-bit paletted textures for example). A GF4 or FX5 series card is a much better choice if you want full compatibility.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 9, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I allready know this, and it's not what I asked. Under winXP, both Black and White and Dungeon Keeper 2 work fine with the first xp driver (61.77). Latest XP driver 304.something brakes compatibility with most old games, including the latter. B&W has missing textures and DK2 will not run.

Now the reason I insist on trying a 6800 with these older games is for widescreen 1920x1080. They both run very well at this resolution and look much better then they do at 1280x1024 - witch is the maximum resolution I can run the games with a good framerate with a GF4 Ti. I no longer own an FX series (well I do heave a 5200 and a 5700 but they both suck, especially the 5200 witch runs slower then the GF4TI). Both my FX5900XT and FX5950 died mysteriously. No artefacting, and they were very well stored in anti-static bags.

I found the best winXP driver for older games - 61.77 - now I just need to find a win98 driver witch lets me run everything.

Reply 4 of 9, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no driver which would let you run everything with GF6 under win9x. Even FX and 4Ti/MX haven't full compatibility with an old games. If you want best compatibility and perfomance for all leave GF6+81.98 for newer games and plug PCI 3D for older games. It may be Riva TNT PCI for example. Or Voodoo2, ATI Rage, Savage4 PCI, Voodoo3/4/5 PCI etc.

Reply 6 of 9, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

There is no driver which would let you run everything with GF6 under win9x. Even FX and 4Ti/MX haven't full compatibility with an old games. If you want best compatibility and perfomance for all leave GF6+81.98 for newer games and plug PCI 3D for older games. It may be Riva TNT PCI for example. Or Voodoo2, ATI Rage, Savage4 PCI, Voodoo3/4/5 PCI etc.

All old games I play work perfectly on a GF4 Ti using 41.09 or 44.03. Besides the 6800, I use two Voodoo 2 cards in SLi for stuff like Carmageddon, Descent 2 and alike. I need to get games like Black & White, Dungeon Keeper 2, Sacrifice, Homeworld and alike working. The problem is each driver breaks compatibility with one or two games.

I tied 81.98 with my GF4 Ti and it broke compatibility with Sacrifice and DK2. It might work on the 6800 so I'll give it a go.

Reply 7 of 9, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, why don't you want to use Voodoo2 SLI in D3D mode with "GF6-trouble-games"? And: sorry, but are you sure that all trouble-free games work with GF? Maybe with some detonators they simply don't use GF6 but use Voodoo2 in D3D. Not?

Reply 8 of 9, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

OK, why don't you want to use Voodoo2 SLI in D3D mode with "GF6-trouble-games"?

The whole point of this machine is to run 1998-2002 games with as much eye candy as possible - that is why I swapped the GF4 Ti for the 6800. That means silly resolutions and maybe some AA. Games that do not run well on modern hardware (2007-present) or require windows 9x to run stable (like Dungeon Keeper 2).

In XP everything from Carmageddon 3dfx to Doom 3 works perfectly. This includes DK2 (witch runs quite fast, looks great, but randomly crashes to desktop), B&W and sacrifice. It's not like I will be playing Carma 3DFX on it or Doom 3 - the later works fine on modern machines so I'd rather play it full HD and with silly amounts of AA on my 980m. Carma and alike are reserved for my K6-3 / Banshee rig.

Oddly enough - B&W2 works great on the GF4 Ti @ 300 core / 525 vram - 1920x1080, full detail - 28-32 avagare FPS witch is very impressive 😀. The 6800 runs circles around it of course.

PARUS wrote:

And: sorry, but are you sure that all trouble-free games work with GF? Maybe with some detonators they simply don't use GF6 but use Voodoo2 in D3D. Not?

They use the 6800. There is no way V2 SLi can go above 1024x768, and I tested DK2 at 1280x1024, 1920x1080 (registry edit) and B&W at 1920x1080 (also reg hack).

The PC the 6800 sits in has the following configuration:

Athlon 64 3800+ socket 939 (2400MHz / 512k)
ECS KV2 Lite (VIA K8T800 PRO)
Leadtek A400LE 128MB AGP (6800) or Leadtek A280LE 128MB (Gf4 Ti 4200 AGP8x)
2x Creative CT 6670 (Voodoo 2 12MB)
Creative Sound Blaster 128 PCI
80GB PATA Maxtor HDD
450W Sirtec Highpower

So far, everithing works as intended... in Windows XP 😠 Win98 Geforce 6800 drivers suck. Still have a couple to test, and I'll report back with my findings.

Reply 9 of 9, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Leadtek Winfast Nvidia GeForce A6600; mines the 256mb model
Running thru DVI TO HDMI converter works nice.
detonator v66.94 last to have no hanging on win9x shutdown. Later versions hang on shutdown, manual replacement of 4 files transplanted from v66.94. (Commented by Rudolph Loew who said his own fix creation wasn't applicable)
EDIT: I have installed latest driver beta and Loew's patch and it works wondeful for windows Me. shutdown, reboot no issues. I don't need warm reboot for graphics changes.
Now widescreen modes are more interesting thru DVI the HDMI adapter is more useful.
My monitor doesn't like many early display modes so i have to use dos box for those.