WFW 3.11 using all available ram?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 77, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Good luck! 😀

Yes, Windows 3.10 has less compatibbility issues than WfW 3.11 sometimes.
- I'm not saying that it is better, just less complex.

PS: You can also try WfW 3.11 with QEMM 7 or higher if you have it.
It fixes lots of memory issues and supports Windows, too.

It also helps to circumvent memory-related hardware issues sometimes.
On an old Compaq laptop, it helped me to make the whole thing more stable.
(That being said, I still favour pure Real-Mode. But QEMM isn't bad, either.)

The Fix1MB utility helps against missbehaving programs, but can fix reak memory issues.
https://www.mcpressonline.com/operating-syste … nt-memory-error

Edit: I'm sorry. I meant to say "but can not fix memory issues". 😅

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-06-20, 23:36. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 41 of 77, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

I'll try Ctrl-Esc to close as many processes as I can to see if freeing up memory as the error suggests, actually helps.

I'm sure there's a windows manual online but I didn't think that would tell you how to disable features that were unique to WFW.

I'm pretty sure that it does do that as I've got the paper version right here (obviously I meant scans of the official Microsoft user manual).

Reply 42 of 77, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
^Good luck! :) […]
Show full quote

^Good luck! 😀

Yes, Windows 3.10 has less compatibbility issues than WfW 3.11 sometimes.
- I'm not saying that it is better, just less complex.

PS: You can also try WfW 3.11 with QEMM 7 or higher if you have it.
It fixes lots of memory issues and supports Windows, too.

It also helps to circumvent memory-related hardware issues sometimes.
On an old Compaq laptop, it helped me to make the whole thing more stable.
(That being said, I still favour pure Real-Mode. But QEMM isn't bad, either.)

The Fix1MB utility helps against missbehaving programs, but can fix reak memory issues.
https://www.mcpressonline.com/operating-syste … nt-memory-error

Thanks I will try QEMM.

Do you know how to use Fix1MB? I can't get it to work. Does it need to reside in a specific folder before I run it? Do I need to run it from a dos shell?

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 43 of 77, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

Do you know how to use Fix1MB? I can't get it to work. Does it need to reside in a specific folder before I run it? Do I need to run it from a dos shell?

Um, I simply copied it to %windir%\system and ran fix1mb.exe in Windows.
It also has got the ability to configure system.ini accordingly, so it autostarts.

Attachments

• fix1mb.jpg
    Filename
    fix1mb.jpg
    File size
    85.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • fix1mb_info.jpg
    Filename
    fix1mb_info.jpg
    File size
    95.64 KiB
    Views
    File license

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 44 of 77, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

It also has got the ability to configure system.ini accordingly, so it autostarts.

I don't think it works on WFW. I put it in the system directory and it just does nothing when I click the exe file.

Question: Can LAN and TCP/IP (internet) be made to work on 3.1 (non-WFW) ?

Reply 45 of 77, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:
Jo22 wrote:
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

I don't think it works on WFW. I put it in the system directory and it just does nothing when I click the exe file.

Yes, Trumpet Winsock uses a standard packet driver interface.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 46 of 77, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well... I'm pissed off. I just wasted another night redoing the machine in 3.1 since Groliers clearly works on Jo's machine. Too bad it doesn't F***ing work on mine. I give up.

Are there any super dirty hacks to force a program to run regardless of errors? Some sort of "I don't care about memory, run the damn thing" /switch or some such thing?

Reply 47 of 77, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Don't desperate. There's likely some minor issue that causes this, it's not your fault.
Maybe we find out if we know what system specs your PC has got.

In the meantime, I'll try this program on WfW 3.11 and another PC, too.
This could take until ~Wednesday/Thursday or so, though.

Edit: I think I will try it on a Pentium 133 first, with both Win95 and 3.1.
The 386 PC that I have got is boxed in the attic (not easy to access right now).
- I have to move things around, so I cannot test it on this machine before weekend.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-06-20, 17:23. Edited 1 time in total.

//My video channel//

Reply 48 of 77, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

As mentioned by gdjacobs a Nic packet driver and Winsock. After loading the packet drivers and before loading Win3.1 with Winsock you'll need to load a shim called winpkt.com. Works real well on my 286/12 system.

Also WfW 3.11s Telnet and Ftp clients work fine on plain Windows 3.1*. Just copy them to a disk to do the transfer.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-06-18, 06:25. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 49 of 77, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's true. Among other things, there also was this "Workgroup Add-On for DOS". It supported the same type of network as WfW.
Last, but on least, there also was Windows for Workgroups 3.1 (3.10).. It was never a success but ran on 286es, too.
Albeit without the ability to provide resources like a printer or sharing a local folder (it could only use existing ones) on a 286.
It also had the nasty attribute that its built-in networking could not be disabled so easily.

Edit: I forgot to mention - These were meant for LAN connectivity only mainly. WfW 3.11 later got TCP/IP-32, which didn't run on WfW 3.10.
So for "modern" networking with full internet access, the recommendation of the previous posters is much better.

//My video channel//

Reply 50 of 77, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

Add UDVD and MSCDEX

That's slightly off-topic but I've had an issue with UDVD where Monkey Island 1 would not resume playing from the CD after existing a full-screen dialogue (typically in the Scumm bar), however when using VIDE-CDD I had no such problem and the CD audio track restarts correctly.

Reply 51 of 77, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

^Don't desperate. There's likely some minor issue that causes this, it's not your fault.
Maybe we find out if we know what system specs your PC has got.

Sorry for the late reply but here are my system specs:

MB1333C-40CH
AMD 40MHz DX (operating at 33MHz)
387 installed
8MB RAM
VGA Wonder 1024
ESS 1868F sound card (using 220H, IRQ 5, DMA 1)
CD-ROM using IDE header on sound card (IRQ 15)
SCSI HDD on IRQ 10
Video and System shadow ram enabled, no devices shadowed

GME Multimedia Encyclopedia 95 (v. 7.0)

If GME runs on your machine and not on mine and we are both using the same OS, then the problem must lie elsewhere. Since GME has worked for me in the past I know the software works. Since I copied the entire CD to the hard drive and it still threw the same error, it follows that it is not the CD-ROM drive which is to blame. There must be a memory configuration problem. This narrows it down to either how I have my hardware resources set up, how I have the config/autoexec set up or my sound card, which uses resources in both DOS and windows. If you can think of anything else, let me know but that's my best guess so far.

Reply 53 of 77, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Why do you have a 387 coprocessor when you're using a 40 MHz DX cpu? That one already incorporates the 387 (unless I'm mistaken...)

You are mistaken. It's 386 not 486. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 54 of 77, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Why do you have a 387 coprocessor when you're using a 40 MHz DX cpu? That one already incorporates the 387 (unless I'm mistaken...)

You are mistaken. It's 386 not 486. 😀

Learned something new today. 😊

Reply 55 of 77, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible that Windows will always throw that out of memory error so long as certain blocks of RAM are being used? I'm thinking that the port addresses and BIOS shadow addresses (which I neatly packed into a contiguous block of memory) might be tricking windows into thinking that it has no memory (assuming it wants to use that block) but I have evidence to back this up. By defualt dos doesn't enable UMB and neither does windows so that's not a factor. Not sure if IRQ assignment or SCSI drives would have anything to do with the errors either.

Reply 56 of 77, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok. So I installed GME 95 (v7.04) on my Pentium 133 (GA586S mainboard) wit 32MiB RAM and S3 ViRGE graphics.
OS was Windows 3.10 on DOS 7.0 (Win95 DOS). Default settings were used, except the addition of VIDE-CDD.SYS+MSCDEX, Mouse and Keyboard drivers.

The video is available here: https://youtu.be/0EBRedYuY4U

Along the way, I encountered some read issue with my CD-ROM drive and got a "low memory" warning in GME95.
After running MemMaker, things got better and I was able to select some topics from the menu.

With the exception of videos.

I will try that another time again. maybe with the help of QEMM, 386Max or that Helix package.

Attachments

• grol95.jpg
    Filename
    grol95.jpg
    File size
    196.65 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 57 of 77, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Installed QEMM 7.04 and did some further testing. I also loaded Fix1MB..
Well, things didn't come out as expected. The programs still yammers about little memory.
I also changed graphics drivers (VGA and native ViRGE 325 drivers), left a high amount of UMBs left, but no chance.
Edit: I ran OPTIMIZE /NODOSUP since DOSUP doesn't like DOS 7 very much. I also used STEALTH mode later on.

On Win95, however, the program runs fine. Makes me wonder if it was designed with Win95 in mind.
Quicktime (16-Bit) runs "fine" on both OSes, by the way.

Still need to figure out what's wrong (out of GDI resources ?) - I'll see what I can do.

Attachments

• gme95_w95.JPG
    Filename
    gme95_w95.JPG
    File size
    111.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • qt_w31.JPG
    Filename
    qt_w31.JPG
    File size
    121.81 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 58 of 77, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about trying win32s?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 59 of 77, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I'm just seeing this now.

Well you got much further than me, as I was unable to even run the setup file before getting the memory error. I'm thinking the Win95 won't be a problem because resource management is much more dynamic and it can probably allocate memory as needed. Win 3.11 IIRC is more rigid in where it looks for memory and it might be the hardware setup to blame in my case. If you try again in 3.1, maybe see if changing the memory map that your hardware uses will affect the outcome. That's what I've been doing.