VOGONS

Reply 20 of 101, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No info to be found on the Startech wiring. Maybe someone who has one can help.

My colors are data: purple, ground: black, clock: yellow, +5V: green. Others have them totally different. Artex had one with data: red, ground: blue, clock: green, +5V: black, and Skyscraper reported one as data: orange, ground: red, clock: black, +5V: yellow. They make no sense.

Last edited by firage on 2015-11-07, 01:32. Edited 2 times in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 21 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

You could try an optical mouse. Then you'll at least be able to point out if you got the 5V and GND pins correctly.

i just now plugged in an "OKION" optical ps2/usb mouse with the matching green usb > green ps2/usb connector/adapter and the mouse laser does light up

im totally confused now because i just unplugged the red wire + the laser light on the mouse went out.. does that mean the red wire is the +5v??

Last edited by chrisNova777 on 2015-11-07, 01:34. Edited 1 time in total.

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 22 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ive totally unplugged the wires from the black connector + im just attaching them directly to the pins to try to figure out the pinout that works.. so far no luck

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 23 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

cmon guys im using a commonly used part.. the startech plate6F connector.... someone else must have used this. and has figured this out already... and will have the exact same header with the exact same wire colors (red, yellow, green, brown) PLEASE HELP ME i want to be able to use my computer!! i havent even been abel to use it since i bought it some 3 weeks ago.. this is killin me

Attachments

• plate6f.PNG
    Filename
    plate6f.PNG
    File size
    396.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 101, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little bit of a long shot considering how companies work these days, but you could try to get the pinout from Startech's support.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 25 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

A little bit of a long shot considering how companies work these days, but you could try to get the pinout from Startech's support.

that really doesnt help me.. i need to hear from someone else who has the plate6F reconfigured. there are a number of people here on the forum that have done this.. artec is one of them. vetz is another.

i dont understand how he (artec) ended up with a 2x4 connector when he ordered the same thing i did.. PLATE6F from startech..
http://www.startech.com/media/products/PLATE6 … F_Datasheet.pdf
the datasheet doesnt show the pin out but it does say that one side of the connection is 10 pin.. not 8..

Reply 26 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PLease guys
i NEED HELP TO FIX THIS!!
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IM VERY ANXIOUS TO START USING THIS COMPUTER
U DONT UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH EFFORT IVE PUT INTO GETTING THIS STUPID THING I JUST WANT TO USE MY DAMN COMPUTER + HAVE MY MOUSE WORK!! PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEE IM GETTING UPSET HERE

Reply 27 of 101, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have both a flat 5 pin ps/2 port/backplate and a 2 row 8 pin ps/2 port/bracket that I could mail you if need be. Just PM me, no idea what they are from.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 28 of 101, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, when you're ready to start breaking things, cutting open the shell covering the back of the PS/2 port you can see what pins the wires go to.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 29 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i just tested the labtec mouse.. with my win7 machine.. and the mouse works fine..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    950.01 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 30 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

u know what.. fuck this. i cant take the frustration anymore
im just going to order a serial fucking mouse.. this is total total TOTAL BULLSHIT

Reply 31 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

I have both a flat 5 pin ps/2 port/backplate and a 2 row 8 pin ps/2 port/bracket that I could mail you if need be. Just PM me, no idea what they are from.

thanks for the offer.. but i have a bracket in front of me. it should work. but its not working..
i will order a serial mouse + turn this thing off and hide it away for a nother few weeks + go to the gym and beat the shit out of the punching bag in the meantime 😁 🤣

heres my solution: serial/ps2 mouse.. plugged in via serial.. case closed.. big middle finger to the ps2 header + startech.com
and thanks to everyone else who owns a 486sv2gx4 for not jumpin in here... GG..

Attachments

• serialPS2Mouse.jpg
    Filename
    serialPS2Mouse.jpg
    File size
    192.58 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 32 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

im really hoping someone with the same motherboard who is successfully using the ps2 mouse port can give me a hand here... i cannot begin to explain to u the amount of research i did to figure out which 486 board to buy, and then to actully find one for sale, searching thru endless ebay auctions that wanted crazy money for one, finally found one, have it on my desk, WANT TO USE IT.. please.. someone help me.. i see u guys log in here and chat away in your other threads.. i just need a tiny bit of help and im good to go... i just need this stupid mouse to work.. PLEASE HELP ME. im frustrated + annoyed.. i have a version of logic audio that i searched for about 2 eyars to find that i want to load up on windows 3.11
PLEASE HELP ME move forward with my plans...

Reply 33 of 101, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think an easy way to figure out the pinout on that startech ps2 connector would be to use a multimeter on ohms setting and put a pin in both ends
of the thing and measure until You find out whats what. You already have the ps2 mini din pinout. All You need to figure
out is what the wires are at the connector end, then remove and refit where necessary.

You should also be able to use the multimeter to figure out what pins on the motherboard are 5v and which one is ground, that will narrow it down a bit.

Last edited by Imperious on 2015-11-07, 13:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 34 of 101, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your header to DIN pins are correct, then ensure that your BIOS revision has PS/2 mouse enabled. You can use MODBIN to open an image of your BIOS on another computer. Also, ensure that the version of the keyboard controller chip on your MB supports PS/2 mice. Not all of them do.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 35 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

If your header to DIN pins are correct, then ensure that your BIOS revision has PS/2 mouse enabled. You can use MODBIN to open an image of your BIOS on another computer. Also, ensure that the version of the keyboard controller chip on your MB supports PS/2 mice. Not all of them do.

the bios only mentions the ps2 mouse in the power management IRQ12 setting.
there is no other settings in the bios to enable or disable..
the manual mentions JP7 set to 1-2 will enable the ps2 mouse + JP7 set to 2+3 will disable
other than that there is no other settings that i can see anywhere... please correct me if im wrong
486SV2GX4 owners.?????????? where are u?

Reply 36 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i dont have a multimeter.. is there not anyone who can help me figure out which pins are which? is there not anyone else who has a plate6F from startech.com?
artex said he had ordered one but his wires were different color + diffrent pin header size (2x4 8pin vs the 2x5 10pin i recieved)

artex says this is the layout that worked for him: PS/2 Bracket for Asus Motherboard Header
7nen.jpg
but like i said he got a different item iwth the same model number somehow from the same company..

here is a pic of the adapter he got:
mov8l.jpg
on his connector his wires were as follows:
blue=gnd
red=data
black=VCC+5v
green=CLK

and the asus layout depicted in the manual for a later pentium board was listed as :
file.php?id=20469&mode=view

my adapter has yellow,red,brown, + green wires (as seen in attachment to show wires only, this wire config did not work for me but neither did switching red + brown wires position either!!!! so this pinout must be totally different!)

Attachments

• wires.PNG
    Filename
    wires.PNG
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 37 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

on another note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc6HO_GPujw
this youtube video notes that the mouse i have *IS* serial compatible!! perhaps then my ps/2 to serial adapter is wired differently for a different mouse? and if i had the one in the video that it would just work!!!

i think the adapter for ps2 -> serial that i have is for a "Microsoft Mouse 2.0" because its grey..

ms mouse 2.0:

ps2MSMouse.jpg
Filename
ps2MSMouse.jpg
File size
16.06 KiB
Views
File license

ms mouse 1.0:

serialMSMouse.jpg
Filename
serialMSMouse.jpg
File size
14.68 KiB
Views
File license

could it be that there is a difference in wiring between the labtec 3b mouse + the microsoft 2.0 mouse so much that it would render the mouse not workable via serial?
the mouse works fine on my win7 computer connected via ps2! i know it works!! this is bullshit omg

Reply 38 of 101, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrisNova777 wrote:

... i thought the header was on backwards ive tried putting it on in any orientation that it will work..

This is probably your problem. Trying the header on backwards can ruin the port.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 39 of 101, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get yourself a $5 multimeter to determine exactly where the coloured wires are going onto the DIN. Determine exactly where the header pins are going to on the keyboard controller (KBC) chip. You can then determine which header pins are what (Vcc, GND, DATA, & CLK) by where they go onto the KBC.

Holtek_HT6542B.png
Filename
Holtek_HT6542B.png
File size
29.25 KiB
Views
File license

Ensure that your KBC has PS/2 mouse support. If it is AMIKEY-2, for example, it has ps/2 mouse support.

Ensure that your specific BIOS revision has PS/2 mouse support. The power management mention of IRQ 12 means nothing in this regard. You may need to open a soft-copy of your BIOS image with MODBIN to ensure the PS/2 mouse option is checked. If you like, you can send the imgae to me and I'll open it with MODBIN.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.