• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 41 of 101, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no pinout available for that startech connector, that's why You really have no choice here but to get a Cheap multimeter and sort this out
that way. if You are going to be messing around with old pc's and other retro computers, a multimeter will be an invaluable investment and help
get You out of problems like this a lot easier.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 43 of 101, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had to use the trial and error method when I fixed the PS/2 mouse port on my Asus PVI-486SP3 board as the PS/2-port with wire and connector I found used random colored wires with a non standard pinout plug.

I tested alot of combinations when matching my 4 wires with the 4 used pins on the header. I tried to identify the wires with my MM but the probe diddent reach far enough into the PS2 port to get contact and I was too lazy to dismember a mouse cable. I was also too lazy to install a DOS mouse driver so I booted Windows 95 every time to see if it worked, I had the power on for at least a minut every unsuccessful attempt.

I diddnt manage to kill anything though so I doubt you have killed your PS/2 port even if it is possible if your really unlucky.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 44 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is it possible that its a software problem + not a hardware problem at all
im kind of thinking its both. which is why im having so much trouble

according to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc6HO_GPujw
the mouse i have *IS COMPATIBLE* with serial port aswell as PS/2
soooooo
in a simultaneous alternate attempt.. i connected the labtec 3b mouse to the serial port via generic serial to ps/2 adapter
i installed cute mouse
i tried comtest with the mouse connected to the serial port via serial to ps/2 adapter and it says its a modem when its connected
and comes back with no result if its disconnected so its seeing the mouse....
i run ctmouse and it shows "cutemouse v1.9 [freedos]"
and then it says "Resident part reset to com1 03F8h/IRQ4 in mouse systems mode"
i run "win" to start windows.. but the mosue doesnt move..

please someone help me.. i just want my freaking mouse to work so i can use the damn pc

do i have to reinstall windows 3.11? to get the mouse to work? what do i have to do?
i guess my mouse is serial compatible but i dont have the exact serial adapter that came with it.. so it doesnt want to work
usign these stupid generic ps2->serial adapters that are obviously for logitech or microsoft mice

Attachments

• serialPS2_labtec.PNG
    Filename
    serialPS2_labtec.PNG
    File size
    239.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 45 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
Get yourself a $5 multimeter to determine exactly where the coloured wires are going onto the DIN. Determine exactly where the […]
Show full quote

Get yourself a $5 multimeter to determine exactly where the coloured wires are going onto the DIN. Determine exactly where the header pins are going to on the keyboard controller (KBC) chip. You can then determine which header pins are what (Vcc, GND, DATA, & CLK) by where they go onto the KBC.

Holtek_HT6542B.png

Ensure that your KBC has PS/2 mouse support. If it is AMIKEY-2, for example, it has ps/2 mouse support.

Ensure that your specific BIOS revision has PS/2 mouse support. The power management mention of IRQ 12 means nothing in this regard. You may need to open a soft-copy of your BIOS image with MODBIN to ensure the PS/2 mouse option is checked. If you like, you can send the imgae to me and I'll open it with MODBIN.

its a revision 2.1 486SV2GX4 motherboard...
ive given so many details of what i have and what im trying to do..
im really shocked + surprised that the other uses here who have had the same problem arent posting to try to help me out..
either they arent reading.. or are bitter having had to figure it out themselves and dont want to help anyone .. and consider this some sort of 'rite of passage' initiation ceremony to have to figure out on your own..
other people here HAEV THE SAME BOARD
other people here HAVE THE SAME PS/2 PLATE6F bracket from STartech.com
other people here HAVE FIGURD THIS OUT

noone can post pic of the bios screen where i have to enable ps2??
there is no option.. here the options in my bios:

Stardard CMOS Setup bios features setup chipset features setup power mgmt setup load bios defaults load setup defaults supervis […]
Show full quote

Stardard CMOS Setup
bios features setup
chipset features setup
power mgmt setup
load bios defaults
load setup defaults
supervisor passwd
user passwd
ide hdd auto detection
save + exit setup
exit without saving

like i said before the only place it shows ps2 mouse in the bios is in the power mgmt screen for the irq 12
and i realize this is for toggling POWER MANAGEMENT.. theres no other settings anywhere..
other then the jumper for enabling ps2 mouse support on the board.. jp7.. above the first vlb slot..
which is one of three jumpers found in that location.. it is set to pins 1 +2 to enable it..

do i have to DISABLE this to use a serial mouse???

feipoa:
u asked if it had amikey2 . i uploaded apic to show the amikey2 bios chip itself..

when i run mouse.com it comes up saying cutemouse 1.9 [freedos]
installed at com1 in mouse systems mode

yes im trying with both serial + ps/2 mouse .
im trying anything i can SOMEONE PLEASE POST A PROPER PIC OF YOUR 486SV2GX4 PS/2 MOUSE HEADER CONFIGURATION
seeing pics like this: ps2_c.jpg
(as posted by retro games 100 in this threaD: PS/2 6 pin cable - are they hard to find?) seems to make me beleive that u guys really dont want to try to post the info but rather brag that u have it working without showing how to do it
🤣 .. cant even see anything from this pic??

Reply 46 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

lets see the other vogons users with the same motherboard (as shown by google)
badmojo VL/I-486SV2GX4 Motherboard CPU voltage.
amigaz VLB 486 recommendation required please
retrogames 100 VLB 486 recommendation required please
BastlerMike VLB 486 recommendation required please
Amigaz VLB 486 recommendation required please
malik: VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 1.8 and Fujitsu 5.2GB HardDrive (MPA3052AT)
vetz: Re: Got a 5x86-100GP and a VL/I486SV2GX4 for FREE
shock__ ABIT TX5 PS2 Problem.
artex Artex's Build of the Week: Am5x86-P75 @ 160Mhz VLB
jesolo Loving my new 486!! Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4

please guys
can just one of u take the time to help me be able to use my 486??? u dont understand how dificult its been for me to get this thing.. i drove to a million different computer stores..
surfed ebay all summer since july....... PLEASE i have put in TONS Of EFFORT to get this far.. im almost there.. the mouse working is all i need to enjoy + rediscover 1994 retro computing...

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=555
then theres the bios + manuals that are posted here
this is like one of hte most talked about motherboards on the forums!!!!!!!
cant someone help me?

Last edited by chrisNova777 on 2015-11-09, 23:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 47 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
2.03 MiB
Views
File license

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.4 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 48 of 101, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:
lets see the other vogons users with the same motherboard (as shown by google) badmojo VL/I-486SV2GX4 Motherboard CPU voltage. a […]
Show full quote

lets see the other vogons users with the same motherboard (as shown by google)
badmojo VL/I-486SV2GX4 Motherboard CPU voltage.
amigaz VLB 486 recommendation required please
retrogames 100 VLB 486 recommendation required please
BastlerMike VLB 486 recommendation required please
Amigaz VLB 486 recommendation required please
malik: VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 1.8 and Fujitsu 5.2GB HardDrive (MPA3052AT)
vetz: Re: Got a 5x86-100GP and a VL/I486SV2GX4 for FREE
shock__ ABIT TX5 PS2 Problem.
artex Artex's Build of the Week: Am5x86-P75 @ 160Mhz VLB

please guys
can just one of u take the time to help me be able to use my 486??? u dont understand how dificult its been for me to get this thing.. i drove to a million different computer stores..
surfed ebay all summer since july....... PLEASE i have put in TONS Of EFFORT to get this far.. im almost there.. the mouse working is all i need to enjoy + rediscover 1994 retro computing...

Step by step:

0. Please stop whining.

1. Buy a cheap multimeter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Voltmeter-Amm … gUAAOSwHnFVkYPk

It's less than 10 USD, and useful for many other things. As a result, STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!

2. With a needle and a multimeter, find out which cable is connected to which pin in your PS/2 bracket connector:

DSC_1837_resize.JPG
Filename
DSC_1837_resize.JPG
File size
234.5 KiB
Views
File license

There is no PS/2 connector cable color standard, there never was. Nobody can help you about the pin layout of your specific PS/2 bracket, you need to find it out by yourself (you've already seen that, same part from startech.com can have different cable colors, right? This is what I'm talking about). Take the picture below as reference, find out the cable colors for pin 1(data), pin 3(ground), pin 4 (Vcc +5V), and pin 5 (clock)

mouse_pinout.jpg

Prepare a table like this:

Pin              Color
---------------------------
Pin 1 Data Color W
Pin 3 Ground Color X
Pin 4 Vcc 5V Color Y
Pin 5 Clock Color Z

3. Optional: Buy a 2 x 4 connector.

http://www.frontx.com/pro/cpx075_10.html

4. Using the picture below as a reference, connect the wires you identified in step 2 to the appropriate pins on your motherboard. Or prepare a 2 x 4 xonnector with the same pin out, if you choose go for the optional step 3.

Connect:

Color X (ground) to pin 1
Color W (data) to pin 2
Color Y (Vcc 5V) to pin 4
Color Z (clock) to pin 5

file.php?id=20469&mode=view

YOU ARE DONE !!!

In short, people have already been helping you, please, stop whining and make use of it.

Last edited by tayyare on 2015-11-10, 07:37. Edited 2 times in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 49 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

im not sure if u read all the posts by me. but i am also trying to get a serial mouse to work.. and that wont work either....
so im not so sure it is the ps/2 connections that is my real problem.....

i have never had this level of dificulty with any computer ever..

Reply 51 of 101, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^ What he said. And rather than come in here and whine that other users aren't POSTING to help you with your problem, especially when they may not even be aware of your problem. Go Private-Message each of those users since, as you said, you need help from others with your specific board.

If you have a soldering iron, I would also start reflowing the solder on the backside of the board on each of those pins. I would reflow the KB connector, the PS/2 headers and the serial headers. Eliminate all possibilities--you're dealing with OLD, QUESTIONABLE hardware at best, even in the case that it is New-In-Box because capacitors have a limited life-time when not used, and that board is how many years old?

Reply 52 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

im not an electrical engineer. i dont have multimeters or soldering irons sorry. not everyone has the same background knowledge + skillset.

the motherboard is not faulty. its a beauty.. and im proud to have it.. it has no corrosion or damage whatsoever. it looks fantastic.
id be really interested to know what io controllers other people are using.. if anything is faulty .. it must be the io controllers
i actually just got the mouse to work on com2.. but it didnt work well.. it was very slow + choppy.. something must be wrong with the UART FIFO chips? the com1 i noticed someone had made a redmark on the side of the pcb.. as to indicate that it is blown? perhaps? i think
i will have to find a new io controller....

are winbond cheap? crappy controllers? did ASUS make any official ASUS io controllers to to with the 486SV2 series boards?

Reply 53 of 101, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't have to be an engineer to use a multimeter for a continuity test. It is a simple function of the multimeter that beeps if the two terminals are shorted. So if you touch one end of a wire with one terminal, it will beep when you touch the other terminal to the other end of the wire. With that it becomes very simple to rewire a connector with no prior knowledge other than the desired pinout. Without it you need someone with exactly the same motherboard and PS/2 connector to chime in, and that may never happen. Also, I would not be surprised if Startech sells the same model with differently colored wires. They were never standard anyway.

Winbond isn't necessarily crappy. This stuff is old and stuff like COM controllers are exposed to external devices, and sometimes these things break. ISA controllers are cheap though, and I personally like my Prime2 controller on my XT machine, even IDE works fine in 8-bit mode.

Reply 54 of 101, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:

im not sure if u read all the posts by me. but i am also trying to get a serial mouse to work.. and that wont work either....
so im not so sure it is the ps/2 connections that is my real problem.....

No, I did exactly that before posting the procedure for you. I posted it since you gave up about the PS/2 connector issue without a real cause. When I read your messages, I've seen a strange pattern. First you ask for help, then people start giving suggestions, then you try something by yourself instead of trying the suggestions first, then fail, and then complain about nobody helping you (once in every 30 minutes or so).

Please try the suggestions first, before asking anything more. You are "not sure" and you should never be sure, since you are not approaching the problem in a methodical way. Without a methodical approach, you will go nowhere.

Solving the PS/2 bracket issue requires you to use a multimeter, period. It does not need an engineer or even a technician to use it. It's just a very simple tool, for almost anyone to use, at least for the purposes of determining a pin layout. The method is clearly described in my post, it does not require any specific skill sets.

chrisNova777 wrote:

i have never had this level of dificulty with any computer ever..

Then you are a very lucky person, since with your random methods and impatience, I would have imagined otherwise. 😈

Last edited by tayyare on 2015-11-10, 15:17. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 55 of 101, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:
im not an electrical engineer. i dont have multimeters or soldering irons sorry. not everyone has the same background knowledge […]
Show full quote

im not an electrical engineer. i dont have multimeters or soldering irons sorry. not everyone has the same background knowledge + skillset.

the motherboard is not faulty. its a beauty.. and im proud to have it.. it has no corrosion or damage whatsoever. it looks fantastic.
id be really interested to know what io controllers other people are using.. if anything is faulty .. it must be the io controllers
i actually just got the mouse to work on com2.. but it didnt work well.. it was very slow + choppy.. something must be wrong with the UART FIFO chips? the com1 i noticed someone had made a redmark on the side of the pcb.. as to indicate that it is blown? perhaps? i think
i will have to find a new io controller....

are winbond cheap? crappy controllers? did ASUS make any official ASUS io controllers to to with the 486SV2 series boards?

Most people on here are not anything near an electrical engineer--mostly hobbyists and old techs, like me. Old computers are similar to old cars in that they require maintenance, repairs, upkeep, etc. If you want to play with vintage hardware then I highly suggest learning to use a soldering iron, a multi-meter, and developing some patience (which seems to be something you do not have) because old hardware is temperamental and slow compared to todays standards.

As you have made abundantly clear, you do not yet have any real experience dealing with these things so please, before you convince yourself that your motherboard or any other hardware is "a beauty," understand that there are several things which do not show visible signs of being bad, such as all the things which have already been mentioned: solder joints, capacitors, bad IC's.

Reply 56 of 101, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

logistics + tayyare..
if either of you dont have real world experience with this motherboard i suggest u take a moment and review some of the things that people have said about it.. the reason people get the VL/I-486SV2GX4 is because of its build quality... the fact that it has a coin battery. zero corrosion damage... etc

the winbond io controller is much more likely to be have a damaged serial chip.

alexanrs : u are missing the point that there have ben numerous poeple who mentioned both parts i am using.. the PLATE6F from startech + the VL/I-486SVGX4 are both referenced many many times on this site. if they were not so well known parts i would probably take the board to someone else + pay them to fix it for me.

i appreciate the group of you taking time to reply to me, but i would prefer to focus my time speaking with sincere people of good positive attitudes who have some real idea on what to focus on to fix this. i have been posting on this board since JULY and it is now NOVEMBER. just becuase id ont have a multimeter doesnt mean im not serious about getting this to work. id love to hear from anyone else who genuinely wishes to help me without being condescending...

and no multimeters are not 5$ where i live.. more like 50-60$ http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results. … ue&q=multimeter

Reply 57 of 101, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But without one you can't check what goes where! If they're expensive where you live, try to order one over the net! IMHO, a multimeter, a soldering iron and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol are the go-to tools for old h/w... and when all else fails, you drink the alcohol 😵 Anyhow, you need the right tools for the right job.

Also no need to get whack-all over this... It's a hobby after all; trying to figure it all out should give you pleasure, so... patience I guess 😉

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 58 of 101, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you don't mind waiting: here it is, free shipping worldwide. It is an invaluable tool, which is also great for testing old PSUs (though not as good as an osciloscope - but that is on a completly different price level).

By the way, you should test the mouse on another PC, just to be sure it is working. Sometimes even brand new PCs have headers for a serial port, so it shouldn't be that hard to find a test subject. Try a simillar setup, DOS + mouse driver. Also, since you are using a controller card, double check that the onboard ports are disabled. If they can't be disabled, set the onboard ports as COM2 and 4, and the controller as COM1 and disabled (or COM1 and COM3). Anyway, ISA multi-IO controllers are as cheap as chips, so getting a spare never hurts.

About the PS/2 header, there are only three probable causes AFAIK:
1 - Wrong pinout
2 - lack of BIOS support / BIOS not configured correctly
3 - Busted motherboard or keyboard controller

Until you can be 100% sure that the pinout in your cable is 100% correct, I'd avoid trying to flash another BIOS or changing the keyboard controller - as you may make things worse. And, for all that is holy, do not flash the BIOS without making a backup of the old one first. Once you are sure the pinout is correct then you need to see if the port is delivering power. A multimeter is a quick way to do so, but any modern laser mice should do it - if it lights up it is getting power just fine. Those cheap chinese mice with transparent/semitransparent bodies are perfect for this. The next step would be testing continuity between the port and the controller, but that is one step that cannot be done without the proper tools.

Reply 59 of 101, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrisNova777 wrote:

i actually just got the mouse to work on com2.. but it didnt work well.. it was very slow + choppy.. something must be wrong with the UART FIFO chips?

Serial mouse is your easiest choice to get up and running as soon as possible. Give up on the PS2 port, Save that project for a later date.

Don't use a ps2 mouse with a converter, it just adds another level for something to go wrong. Get something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2-Button-Serial … J4AAOSwTapV3bd6

There are better ones out there, cheaper ones out there, whatever you want just get one that has a simple DB9 connector.

Create a Dos boot disk, no need drivers, autoexec.bat, config.sys or anything just copy mouse.com and edit.com onto the floppy.
Boot using the floppy run mouse.com, run edit. move the mouse round is it choppy?
do the exact same thing on a 2nd PC noew or old/ anything that's got a real serial port, (no adaptors!) is it still choppy?

Windows is no good for troubleshooting, already has loads of drivers, system config settings, etc confusing the issue and getting in the way