VOGONS

First post, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all. I have a case like the one you see in the photo. It is a Chieftec Dragon. They were also sold under the Antec brand name. (I found this image on Google Images... The case you see in the image is not the specific one that I own).

BlueChieftec.jpg

The previous owner of the case could not give me the drive bays that go with this model.

I will want to add a few extra hard drives to this case in the future. Can you guys tell me where I can find the drive bays that fit in this case? I looked on ebay and elsewhere around the internet (such as the Antec and Chieftec webpages), but to no avail. Do the drive bays from other Chieftec (or Antec) cases fit in this model? Do any other brands of cases produce drive bays that would (theoretically) fit?

This afternoon I pulled a drive bay from the case of an HP computer that I had lying around. I installed it in my Chieftec case on the metal tray where drive bays are supposed to go, and, for now, the setup is ok like this. But I do not want this to be a permanent workaround. For one thing, this HP drive bay is a long shot from a perfect fit. It is too small, and, more importantly, I could align only one of the two screw holes in the metal tray with one of the (many) screw holes in the drive bay. That means only one screw fastens the hard drive and drive bay to the case. They are fastened tight onto the metal tray, and they do not pull strongly on the screw, so I do not suspect the screw to come loose or break. And if it does, the drive bay wil remain where it is: on the metal tray. In these circumstances, the hard drive and drive bay will not be going anywhere.
Still, this solution is substandard at best (mostly because of that one screw). I need something better. That means a drive bay either for this specific model of case, for other models of Chieftec (or Antec) cases, or for cases of other brands. I do not care about brand or model names. As long as the drive bay fits, I do not care whether it was produced with this specific model in mind, or other models of whatever brand.

A small extra to illustrate just how difficult it is to find spare parts for this model of case.
The guy who sold me this case had only one pair of drive rails (used to install optical drives in this type of case; see image) that he could give me. More than two years ago I began looking around for these drive rails because I wanted to add extra optical drives. I found three pairs, eventually, but not before weeks (maybe a few months) of searching.

revoltec_einbauschienen.jpg

Reply 2 of 11, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a bit similar to my A-Top Z-Alien, although the Z-Alien seems a bit bigger.

I not discouraging you but I think it will be nearly impossible to find a matching HDD cage. What about making one or fixing one from another model? It won't look pretty but it'll work.

Reply 3 of 11, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get bigger drives to remove a few smaller ones? Other than that I think you may need to fab your own cage. Possibly buy another case to house all of your hardware, it's another option.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 4 of 11, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

It's a bit similar to my A-Top Z-Alien, although the Z-Alien seems a bit bigger.

I not discouraging you but I think it will be nearly impossible to find a matching HDD cage. What about making one or fixing one from another model? It won't look pretty but it'll work.

I have no idea how to go about making a drive bay myself.

I am totally for installing a drive bay from another system, as I said in my original post. However, I do not know which drive bays that were originally designed for models and brands of cases different from my Chieftec Dragon would fit. If someone can give me an example or two of drive bays they know would be good for this case and are reasonably easy to find, I would be very grateful.

Get bigger drives to remove a few smaller ones? Other than that I think you may need to fab your own cage. Possibly buy another case to house all of your hardware, it's another option.

I have only one hard drive in this system at the moment; of the IDE type to be exact (almost 300 GB in size). I want to add an SSD drive (I am thinking 60 to 150 GB in size) that would then serve as the drive where I have my Windows 7 installation. I would repurpose the IDE drive to store data. After that I would add a conventional (but much larger) hard drive (1 to 2 TB).

EDIT. I am aware that SSD drives are not the kind of hardware that is usually discussed on vogons. Still, I ask my question here because the case I am dealing with (Chieftec Dragon), considering it was released in the early 2000s, does belong to that category. The Chieftec Dragon is a good case, so I want to use this one. Other specifications of this system are as follows.
Motherboard: 775Dual-VSTA
CPU: QX6700 (an old quad core with unlocked multiplier)
Graphics card: Radeon HD 3850 AGP
Sound Card: SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremGamer Fatality Pro

Reply 5 of 11, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only thing I can add is it exactly the same case as the Antec Plus 1080 and Antec Plusview 1000amg if that helps tracking down parts. I have a 1080 case myself and if I wasnt using it would donate its drive cages!

Reply 6 of 11, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked up images of those two cases, and, yes, they do look exactly like mine.

I looked for parts on ebay and through a regular Google search. But that didn't turn up anything.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Anyone know of websites (like auction and second hand pages) where I could find the drive cages I'm looking for? As I said already, I don't care about the brand or model name, as long as the cage fits well in my case.

Reply 7 of 11, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Antec SX1240 with the same drive cage.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 11, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My other thought would be try to contact them direct, a few years back Antec were able to supply me with a new side panel and front panel even though they had stopped producing the cases a long time ago. Worth a shot, they may have old stock or know someone who does?

Edit:

Worst case scenario if you can't locate any and just need one I'd be willing to part with one of the drive cages (I don't have that many HDD's in there anymore)

Reply 9 of 11, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mr_ppp wrote:

My other thought would be try to contact them direct, a few years back Antec were able to supply me with a new side panel and front panel even though they had stopped producing the cases a long time ago. Worth a shot, they may have old stock or know someone who does?

Now there is something I should have thought of! I just sent an e-mail to Chieftec's support address. I hope I'll hear from them soon. In case I don't, I'll e-mail Antec. I hope at least one of the two companies can ship me a new drive cage.

Mr_ppp wrote:

Edit:

Worst case scenario if you can't locate any and just need one I'd be willing to part with one of the drive cages (I don't have that many HDD's in there anymore)

Thank you, kind sir! I'll report the results of my e-mail enquiries here.

I need just one cage. How much would you ask for it?

Reply 10 of 11, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also utilize your 5.25 drive bays with 2.5 " to 5.25" adapters:

Cheap (2 x 2.5" SSD into one 5.25" bay):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORICO-CD-ROM-Space-5- … %3D131650949547

Better:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kama-Rack-5-5-25-Inte … gcAAOSw3ydVt-0b

Or else:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Masscool-MR-3100-5-25 … vvDUk1ZGfsiWp3Q

There are many different combinations of all types and specs.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 11 of 11, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mr_ppp wrote:

Customer service assistants at both Antec and Chieftec replied to me that they no longer maintain stock of spare parts for cases of the SX1040 and Dragon models, respectively.

Mr_ppp wrote:

Edit:

I think this is going to turn out to be a worst case scenario. How much would you want for one such drive cage?

tayyare wrote:
You can also utilize your 5.25 drive bays with 2.5 " to 5.25" adapters: […]
Show full quote

You can also utilize your 5.25 drive bays with 2.5 " to 5.25" adapters:

Cheap (2 x 2.5" SSD into one 5.25" bay):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORICO-CD-ROM-Space-5- … %3D131650949547

Better:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kama-Rack-5-5-25-Inte … gcAAOSw3ydVt-0b

Or else:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Masscool-MR-3100-5-25 … vvDUk1ZGfsiWp3Q

There are many different combinations of all types and specs.

I considered that possibility. For now, though, I would like to try and keep my hard drive (and any future ones) in the lower part of my case.