VOGONS

First post, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there! Longtime lurker here, been collecting mid-90's hardware and information and eventually decided to set up an old rig. Its specs are:

M/B: ASUS SP97-V (SiS 5598)
CPU: SL27J 200MHz
VGA: Matrox Millenium PCI 4mb
3D: miroHISCORE 3D (Voodoo 1) 6mb
SC: Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold ISA

Thing is, after finishing the build and installing Win95 OSR2 and the drivers, everything ran fine. Got glQuake, Tomb Raider 1, Battle Arena Toshinden and the 3dfx arcade toolbox demos running neatly on my LG 17" LCD monitor. Yesterday I reinstalled Win95C but made the mistake to install older drivers for the miroHISCORE (v1.20 from its original CD, rather than 2.7 I had before) and noticed that it broke all DOS glide games, i.e. monitor turns black and says "Power Saving Mode" when running TR1 or right after the menu in Toshinden. Don't know if I got it right, but it appears that the V1 must be running either at a resolution the LCD doesn't support, or an unsupported refresh rate. Neither restarting with F8->Command Prompt only and trying the games there, nor upgrading miroHS drivers to 2.7 helped, not even reformatting and installing directly the correct ones. Windows-based Glide games are okay (always have been) and seem to obey the resolution/refresh rate set in miro's tab in the display settings, which doesn't seem to be the case under DOS. Also tried setting some SST_* environment variables which I read about here to no avail... 😢 Any ideas?

Last edited by psychz on 2015-11-10, 19:01. Edited 1 time in total.
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 1 of 5, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put the following in Your Autoexec.bat. I used this in pure Dos mode of Win98se and was playing Whiplash(Fatal racing) ok in 3dfx mode.
There is an old version of Driver cleaner You can get for Win95, works well for geting rid of old drivers.

SET SST_GAMMA=1.5
REM (1.3 is dark - 1.7 is default - 2.0 is bright)
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60
SET SST_GRXCLK=57
SET SST_FASTMEM=1
SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1
SET SST_VIDEO_16BPP=1
SET FX_GLIDE_NO_SPLASH=1
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=0
SET SST_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC=0

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 5, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot for these settings but they don't seem to help much under Win95 or their DOS mode. However, when I boot from an empty boot disk (just command.com 6.22/oakcdrom/mscdex) it all works, and with your settings I get some more FPS in Battle Arena Toshinden!

Don't know if that helps, but currently my C:\CONFIG.SYS is empty and my AUTOEXEC.BAT only sets the SOUND/MIDI/BLASTER environment variables and the ones above, whereas the boot disk's only load the CD-ROM driver and MSCDEX...

Can't think of anything else to check 😖

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 3 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like there is another glide2x.ovl somewhere in %path%. Find and delete all glide2x.ovls then reinstall Voodoo1 drivers/copy glide2x.ovl from them to %system%.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 5, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately that was one of the first things I tried, I even reformatted and installed the 2.7 drivers (which did work before) directly... Even tried to delete every glide*.ovl from everywhere and run Battle Arena Toshinden (appears to be statically linked), however with the same result. It only works when booting from the boot disk 🙁

Could the Voodoo be keeping any settings in flash/the card itself? Might try to reinstall the old drivers later, just to see if they provide any related settings-toggles... I'm all out of ideas 😕

Stojke wrote:

Reply 5 of 5, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem solved! Apparently the Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold drivers broke something... Fresh Win95 install, latest miro drivers (2.7) and SB drivers from the AWE64 Value ISO and everything looks okay for now...

Stojke wrote: