VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to get an SB Live! (SB0060) and a YMF-724 card to work together in DOS. They can co-exist in 98SE without any conflicts. Just for kicks, I want to know if I can use the YMF-724 for digital audio and the SB Live! for GM music via its internal MPU-401 port.

I set up YMF-724's SB Pro emulation at Address 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1, Midi 300.
The SB Live! SB 16 emulation is set at Address 240, IRQ 7, DMA 3, HDMA 5, Midi 330.

I set these in the 98SE Device Manager and in SETUPDS (the DOS config program for the YMF-724).

I then boot into DOS with the appropriate DOS-level drivers.

When I try to play a game like Duke 3D or Descent, both crash pretty quickly.

I think the problem is that both cards are trying to access port 0388 at the same time.

Is there a way to disable port 0388 on the SB Live! without losing access to port 0330 (for the GM)? Device manager won't let me change this setting. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply 1 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even though I do have an SBLive, it is currently not set up in any PC. But I do remember that the DOS configurations were kept in a text file. Perhaps in that file you can disable the FM port?

Reply 2 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Even though I do have an SBLive, it is currently not set up in any PC. But I do remember that the DOS configurations were kept in a text file. Perhaps in that file you can disable the FM port?

There was only one text file in the DOSDRV directory, and it contained only info about VENDORIDs.

However, I think I discovered a solution.

I forgot to mention that I was using a PC-PCI (SB-Link) cable with the YMF-724 card. In SETUPDS, you can specify the "DMA Mode." Normally, I have it set up for "PC-PCI," and DOS games crash with that setting. When I switch it to "D-DMA," the games work!

I actually don't know the difference between PC-PCI and D-DMA for this card. Is one usually preferable to the other?

Anyway, this turns out to be an interesting and inexpensive solution for people wanting to use DOS and have a real OPL3 and SB Pro compatibility along with GM music. The GM music is not the best, but it is adequate.

I'm not sure how well this combo will work with a motherboard without a PC-PCI link, however.

Reply 3 of 7, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is an interesting idea to try out, if only I still had a system to house both a YMF724-V and AudioPCI with.
Of course, it would be more practical to use just the YMF724 with a daugherboard, MIDI module, or daugherboard plus daughterboard converter in the game port, but where's the curiosity and fun in that? 😜

Usually having SB-Link is preferrable for PCI cards due to higher ISA bus compatibility. I can't say I've tried for myself though, as the board I used with those PCI sound cards lacked SB-Link support.

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20

Reply 4 of 7, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You also have IRQ's that the cards are using up that are separate from the Dos settings. Most motherboards show the IRQ usage table during
post. Hopefully they aren't sharing IRQ 12 or some other number, usually above 9.

In DS.INI in the Yamaha cards Dos drivers folder the INTA IRQ setting has to match what the post screen says it is using. I had this problem with my
YMF724 card on my Abit board on the weekend. If You change cards around this setting will likely get messed up.

Another thing to keep in mind is that AWE64 and AWE32 cards GMIDI isn't compatible with DOS4GW games in real DOS. Not sure about SBLIVE though.
Win98 works ok.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 5 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked them out, and everything seemed to be in order.

Turns out I spoke too quickly. Other games (Doom, Hexen, Raptor) crashed with the new settings.

It does work with ROTT and Dune 2 (!), however.

Back to the drawing board to look for an OPL3 / General Midi PCI combo that works in DOS.

Reply 6 of 7, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I hinted at, only real mode Dos games that support GMIDI will probably work, not games that use the Dos extender DOS4GW.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 7 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SBLive and AWEs are completly different beasts. The SBLive MIDI part for DOS apps is GM only, it doesn't use special ports like the AWE, nor needs a jumper. Also, it works with protected mode software.