VOGONS

First post, by x_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So here are some pictures, and the model is a etower 300k. The board is a DELHI-II 586-0429, on-board ATI rage video card, 256mb ram max, 2 pci, 2 isa,

and the Socket 7. So I have already looked at spec sheets and can't seem to determine for certain if this is a Super Socket 7, and if it supports the "+" series K

processors. I know it will support all K6-2 and k6-3 processors. I want to jump on a processor, that is, or if not similar to the AMD-K6-2/550, which from what

I see is a very good processor, if you clock it down to 500MHz so it remains stable. So, what do you guys think? Maybe some SLI video cards going on ^__^?

Attachments

• motherboard.jpg
    Filename
    motherboard.jpg
    File size
    359.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • tower.jpg
    Filename
    tower.jpg
    File size
    263.32 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 19, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In a quick look I did not find a DELHI-II.
Are you sure it's not a DELHI-III ?
What are the exact model numbers on the VIA chipset chips?
The DELHI-III manual states it supports a 2.0v Vcore and 100MHz FSB.
If there is a DELHI-II it may not.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 19, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose that should say DELHI-III?
According to http://www.interloper.com/products/product-de … =106987&cat=399 is has a VIA MVP3 chipset and 100MHz FSB support so I'd say SS7. It should work with all K6-2, also K6-3 (if the voltage regulators are OK). No idea about the + models. Are there any settings silkscreened regarding voltage?

Reply 5 of 19, by x_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it does say DELHI-III, and that looks like the board from the picture. Judging by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Socket_7 , if you read the first paragraph this indeed should be a Super Socket 7, in which supports up to 2.4v. Still, nothing about the "+" versions. I also don't see anything printed on the board about voltage settings. There are a few jumpers around the main socket though.

Reply 7 of 19, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could use the Rage onboard as a 2D card and fill the two pci slots with a pair of Voodoo2's. Then ditch the onboard Crystal audio for an Awe32/64 or a Soundblaster16. Which would leave one ISA slot free for a LAN card or something. Overall a neat and clean looking little Emachine.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 19, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the manual for the DELHI-III.
It specifies the max K6-2 as 350MHz but the board may have been released before the faster K6-2's were available.
A newer than original BIOS may be needed to support faster K6-2's but other than that it should work.
I will attach.

Attachments

• Filename
    Delhi_3.doc
    File size
    885 KiB
    Downloads
    70 downloads
    File comment
    eMachine-TriGem Delhi-III manual
    File license

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 9 of 19, by x_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

You could use the Rage onboard as a 2D card and fill the two pci slots with a pair of Voodoo2's.

My thoughts exactly, isn't there a pci version of the voodoo3?

PCBONEZ wrote:

It specifies the max K6-2 as 350MHz but the board may have been relea

Thank you very much for the document and your input. If you look on page 9, you will see some text about all the different voltages that are supported and that they can be adjusted. So I suspect that you're correct and I can most likely do the processors I'm interested in with some tweaking. Also, how do you feel about the RAM options for this motherboard. Would it be worth going with ECC over non-ECC, because the board does support both.

Reply 11 of 19, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep there is a pci Voodoo3! Which would free up a pci slot vs the SLI Voodoo 2's.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13 of 19, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

You could use the Rage onboard as a 2D card and fill the two pci slots with a pair of Voodoo2's. Then ditch the onboard Crystal audio for an Awe32/64 or a Soundblaster16. Which would leave one ISA slot free for a LAN card or something. Overall a neat and clean looking little Emachine.

For SLI a faster CPU might be preferable, although at 1024x768 the Voodoos are only slightly hold back by a very fast K6-3+. See Phil's report
Same holds true for Voodoo3 PCI. Also, those are much harder to get than Voodoo3 AGP.
The Onboard Crystal might not be too bad, I would try that first.
Regarding the slots: One ISA and one PCI seem to be shared, I suppose you can't fit more than three cards in total.
The onboard Rage IIc is not too bad for 2D, but useless in 3D.

Regarding the voltage: The manual indeed says you can go down to 2.0V, but only specifies the settings down to 2.2V. Comparing the datasheet for SC1152 to the manual I'd say 2.0V should be off-off-off-off and 2.1V should be on-off-off-off.
I suppose you won't have BIOS support for the + CPUs but you should be able to work around that with some tools.

Reply 14 of 19, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
x_86 wrote:

Would it be worth going with ECC over non-ECC, because the board does support both.

Personally I choose non-ECC when a board can take either one.
Never noticed any 'humanly perceivable' difference and some boards are persnickety about what ECC they are happy with.

Reply 15 of 19, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just picked up one of these at Goodwill for $5 today. I was looking for a Super Socket 7 and it seems the gamble payed off. I have a 233MMX, a K6-2 300, and K6-2 500 to try out in it. It's a shame it doesn't have an actual AGP slot but I ain't mad for $5.

PCBONEZ, thanks for the manual!

Reply 16 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Change the PSU for a good one, then get V2-SLI, install an K6-III-400 (if plus is not to be found) and finally install an AWE64-Gold.
I think that would be a lot cheaper than V3-Pci and AWE32 (one of the OPL-3 model's)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 17 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
I have the manual for the DELHI-III. It specifies the max K6-2 as 350MHz but the board may have been released before the faster […]
Show full quote

It specifies the max K6-2 as 350MHz but the board may have been released before the faster K6-2's were available.
A newer than original BIOS may be needed to support faster K6-2's but other than that it should work.
I will attach.

If it has undocumented jumper settings, it should be fairly easy to figure out which ones are the other voltages (supplied to the CPU).

Many SS7 boards have jumpers for the CPU voltage which behave like this:
The CPU starts with 3.3v
Jumper 1 subtracts 0.8v
Jumper 2 subtracts 0.4v
Jumper 3 subtracts 0.2v
Jumper 4 subtracts 0.1v

It's basically a little math puzzle, but I don't have Word installed so if I open it, it's just all gibberish. If anyone would be friendly enough to post all of the known jumper settings along with the given CPU voltages, I can figure out the rest of the puzzle if nobody else feels like bothering 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my experience some boards behave almost like the example above but with 3.5V as the max voltage.

Minimum voltage with the table above is 1.8V but some boards only go down to 2V but the jumpers behave more or less the same.

No jumpers = 2.0V
Jumper 1 (or 4 on some boards) adds 0.1V
Jumper 2 (or 3 on some boards) adds 0.2V
Jumper 3 (or 2 on some boards) adds 0.4V
Jumper 4 (or 1 on some boards) adds 0.8V

In this case the max voltage is 3.5V.

This may not be relevant to the thread 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 19 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
In my experience some boards behave almost like the example above but with 3.5V as the max voltage. […]
Show full quote

In my experience some boards behave almost like the example above but with 3.5V as the max voltage.

Minimum voltage with the table above is 1.8V but some boards only go down to 2V but the jumpers behave more or less the same.

No jumpers = 2.0V
Jumper 1 (or 4 on some boards) adds 0.1V
Jumper 2 (or 3 on some boards) adds 0.2V
Jumper 3 (or 2 on some boards) adds 0.4V
Jumper 4 (or 1 on some boards) adds 0.8V

In this case the max voltage is 3.5V.

This may not be relevant to the thread 😀

I think it actually just might be 😀

And even if it's not, this sort of information is very useful anyway 😁
Kinda figured this one out myself and figuring out undocumented jumper settings is fun!
Same goes for undocumented jumper settings of 486 boards as these are often forested with them and the official descriptions of the ones that were documented are often in Engrish and of the nature "If you put a Cyrix 486 in there, then short < list 30 rows of jumpers for you to change > " and if you instead decide to press the Cyrix 5x86 in there, then you need to change a whole lot of other jumpers and the manuals never explained what exactly the jumpers were for and this always kinda nagged me 🤣! I wanna figure out stuff and see what (undocumented) options we have on this old hardware 😀

Addition: Iirc, some jumperblocks even had 3 options. Short 1-2, short 2-3, not short anything. The possibilities are limitless! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!