VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, what a title. Anyway, I'm having trouble with General Midi using any combination of Live! or Audigy PCI cards on a system. The specs follow.

1024MB of SDRAM
Geforce 4 Ti 4200
Tualatin 1400
Voodoo 2
Asus TUV4X

I can get everything /except/ Midi to work. That is, SB16 emulation for digital sound works just fine- but as soon as the Imuse program from Dark Forces tries to select a midi port (any port, 300,310,320,330)- it freezes. This also happens within a Windows Dosbox.

So, any idea what's up or what to try? It's such a bizzare issue and the only problem with this system. I tried doing it without any addon cards- could the video card itself effect this somehow? Is there some asinine BIOS option?

Reply 4 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it just Dark Forces? Doom and Duke3d are my goto's for testing.

In Device manager you should have an entry for Sound blaster legacy or Dos Emulation or something like that, I cant exactly remember. This will show you what port everything is using.

Some programs also need the set blaster line set for their setup to work, but we will cross that next step

And some motherboards just hate the Creative emulation drivers, I forget which ones (as I don't own them) but if you tell us which motherboard you have someone will be able to confirm for you

Reply 5 of 11, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Is it just Dark Forces? Doom and Duke3d are my goto's for testing. In Device manager you should have an entry for Sound blaste […]
Show full quote

Is it just Dark Forces? Doom and Duke3d are my goto's for testing.

In Device manager you should have an entry for Sound blaster legacy or Dos Emulation or something like that, I cant exactly remember. This will show you what port everything is using.

Some programs also need the set blaster line set for their setup to work, but we will cross that next step

And some motherboards just hate the Creative emulation drivers, I forget which ones (as I don't own them) but if you tell us which motherboard you have someone will be able to confirm for you

I use Dark Forces to test because it's my primary reason for DOS at all. If it doesn't work, well then DOS itself isn't working on that system as far as I'm concerned.

The Live! does have those entries, Audigy and Audigy 2 (which is what I'm using now) do not.
I have it working now, I just have to use a 66mhz FSB. Which on a 1400mhz Tualatin still gives me the hilariously fast speed of 700mhz.

So finally, the last remaining problem with this system is solved! I have some questions though, kinda standard ones since I'm somewhat new to this:
EMM386 and Himem replacements? Are any good, or should I just use the defaults?
Geforce 4 ti 4200 and DOS, is VESA going to work at all or should I just not bother?
Is there any way to change the FSB from within DOS? I've looked into slowdown programs, but they seem to make it too slow to run Dark Forces at all.

Reply 6 of 11, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jemm386 and HimemX (both available with FreeDOS) are possible options to replace EMM386 and Himem.sys, but your mileage may vary. They work like a charm for me on my vintage laptop (least in DOS anyway) but tended to have problems with a SB PCI 128 (basically a Creative-branded AudioPCI) on a prior desktop.

VESA should work fine on that card, and IIRC the GeForce 4Ti also has support for hardware VGA acceleration.

For FSB switching within DOS...well, first I'd look at your motherboard settings and see if you are able to adjust FSB settings there.

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20

Reply 7 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably JEMM386/JEMMEX that causes the problem with SBPCI (NMI magic). I'd be interested to know if HIMEMX works with MS EMM386 and SBPCI (and SoftMPU as well).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 11, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DX7_EP wrote:

Jemm386 and HimemX (both available with FreeDOS) are possible options to replace EMM386 and Himem.sys, but your mileage may vary. They work like a charm for me on my vintage laptop (least in DOS anyway) but tended to have problems with a SB PCI 128 (basically a Creative-branded AudioPCI) on a prior desktop.

VESA should work fine on that card, and IIRC the GeForce 4Ti also has support for hardware VGA acceleration.

For FSB switching within DOS...well, first I'd look at your motherboard settings and see if you are able to adjust FSB settings there.

I can, it's just inconvenient.
It's also odd- this board supports 133mhz native, and at 66/100/133 the PCI bus is still 33mhz. Weird stuff.

Reply 9 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI will be clocked from the FSB with a divider. Either 2,3, or 4 FSB clocks per PCI clock.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 11, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

PCI will be clocked from the FSB with a divider. Either 2,3, or 4 FSB clocks per PCI clock.

Yeah I noticed that, which is why a 440BX at 133 can cause problems.
This chipset has proper divisions for it though. 66/33 100/33 or 133/33. So the PCI clock shouldn't be different from 66 or 133.
I dunno why, but whatever this is a solution that works. I just hope anyone else with Live! or Audigy DOS issues can learn from this.