VOGONS

First post, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I obtained a Supermicro P6DGH motherboard, a dual slot 1, 440GX, "extended" AT motherboard (Thanks Luckybob!) and have been testing various CPU and memory configurations in preparation of an upcoming "Ultimate AT" build log that I'm currently in the process of gathering parts for.

In my attempt at CPU testing, I've actually managed to get a single 1400mhz Tualatin Celeron in single processor mode to work! Using a Powerleap iPL-P3/T it ended up being pretty painless, which was surprising for a 440GX board that I expected to be particular about the hardware it took... However, after succeeding in getting the Celeron to work, I moved on to try a SL5XL 1400mhz Pentium III-S in the same slotket, and no matter what I set as the FSB speed on either the board or the slotket, I cannot get the board to display video or give a beep code with that CPU. Since the 440GX is limited to a 100mhz FSB (which this board will not overclock its FSB for anything) and the P3-S is intended for a 133mhz FSB, is the processor forced to run at the higher FSB speed and will not allow the machine to go to POST at a lower speed? Could it be the higher amount of cache on the CPU causing issues and simply making the CPU incompatible with the board outright? Or could there be another problem entirely I've overlooked, like voltage adjustments (though, the slotket is set for the proper 1.45v for the P3-S)?

Reply 1 of 13, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is mostly a wild guess.
I know Powerleap advertized the iPL-P3/T as working with Pentium III-S but I'm guessing that was only on boards with a native 133MHz FSB.
That would have been mostly VIA chipset boards at the time.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 3 of 13, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dant wrote:

... the P3-S is intended for a 133mhz FSB, is the processor forced to run at the higher FSB speed and will not allow the machine to go to POST at a lower speed? ...

Nope, Tualatin 1400-S runs OK @ 100MHz FSB, see here: Re: Powerleap slot-1 adapter

Let the air flow!

Reply 4 of 13, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have never seen a 1.4G P-III-S run successfully at 100MHz FSB through a Powerleap iPL-P3/T on a board that did not have a 133MHz FSB available.
I have seen lots AND LOTS of failed attempts to pull it off though.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-11-27, 20:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran a 1.266GHz P-III-S at any FSB between 50MHz and 133MHz. Works fine, but at a lower net speed of course.
An Engineering sample 1.266GHz P-III-S can run at 4.0x50MHz = 200MHz.

Since your motherboard seems to have a protection that will refuse bootup with 133MHz-FSB processors, you may need to do a mod to the CPU or the CPU-Adapter, like This (Slot 1: Pin A14).
But first: Does your CPU-adapter/Slotket have a FSB override jumper already? most of them do.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 13, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, so, some corrections to make and some yet stranger results coming out of this board.

As it were, the Tualatin Celeron I did get to work isn't a 1400mhz, its a 1300mhz! With further testing, the 1300mhz works at its intended voltage and works darned well. What makes the situation even weirder is that I did go ahead and put a 1400mhz Celeron... and, again, nothing I do has managed to get it to POST, giving the same behavior as the P3-S in the same slotket.

Here's a quick rundown of the CPUs I'm using and which are working and not working:

WORKING:
Pentium 2 400/100fsb/2.0v SMP and Single, Auto FSB and 100mhz forced
Celeron 1300/100fsb/1.5v w/ PL-iP3/T Slotket in 100mhz forced on the slotket and motherboard

NOT WORKING:
P3-S 1400/133fsb/1.45v w/PL-iPT/T Slotket in 100mhz forced on both slotket and motherboard
Celeron 1400/100fsb/1.5v w/PL-iP3/T Slotket in 100mhz forced on both slotket and motherboard.

Given how strange this is, I'm almost willing to chalk this up to the possibility of both of my P3-S CPUs and my 1400 Celeron being properly dead. I might just have to track more of them down. Since I've got an Asus P2B on hand, I'll go ahead and at least try them in another board.

Reply 7 of 13, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 1.4GHz P-III-S is one of my favorite CPUs of all time.
Stocked up a few years ago when they got cheap for a while.
I have between 40 and 50 on-hand.
REALLY wish I did that when Pentium Pros got cheap.

Reply 8 of 13, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

😲

Reply 9 of 13, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:
The 1.4GHz P-III-S is one of my favorite CPUs of all time. Stocked up a few years ago when they got cheap for a while. I have be […]
Show full quote

REALLY wish I did that when Pentium Pros got cheap.

[drooling]

Reply 10 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dant wrote:
WORKING: Celeron 1300/100fsb/1.5v w/PL-iP3/T Slotket in 100mhz forced on the slotket and motherboard NOT WORKING: Celeron 1400/ […]
Show full quote

WORKING:
Celeron 1300/100fsb/1.5v w/PL-iP3/T Slotket in 100mhz forced on the slotket and motherboard
NOT WORKING:
Celeron 1400/100fsb/1.5v w/PL-iP3/T Slotket in 100mhz forced on both slotket and motherboard.

This was the Upgradeware Slot-T remark for the Soyo SY-6BA range of motherboards:
"Due to BIOS limitation, please do NOT use Celeron 1.4GHz. Instead, please use Celeron 1.0AGHz, 1.1AGHz, 1.2GHz, or 1.3GHz as your upgrade choice."
Maybe a similar thing is happening here.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 13, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:
This was the Upgradeware Slot-T remark for the Soyo SY-6BA range of motherboards: "Due to BIOS limitation, please do NOT use Cel […]
Show full quote
Dant wrote:
WORKING: Celeron 1300/100fsb/1.5v w/PL-iP3/T Slotket in 100mhz forced on the slotket and motherboard NOT WORKING: Celeron 1400/ […]
Show full quote

WORKING:
Celeron 1300/100fsb/1.5v w/PL-iP3/T Slotket in 100mhz forced on the slotket and motherboard
NOT WORKING:

This was the Upgradeware Slot-T remark for the Soyo SY-6BA range of motherboards:
"Due to BIOS limitation, please do NOT use Celeron 1.4GHz. Instead, please use Celeron 1.0AGHz, 1.1AGHz, 1.2GHz, or 1.3GHz as your upgrade choice."

UPDATE: Well, my two new 1.4ghz Tualatin P3-S came in today, properly packaged this time. Once more... No dice, not with either CPU, not at any FSB setting. Given the issues I had with the 1.4ghz Celeron as well... Well, I'm inclined to believe you might be in the right here, Gerwin.

Time to buy some slower P3-S CPUs...

Reply 12 of 13, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
This was the Upgradeware Slot-T remark for the Soyo SY-6BA range of motherboards: "Due to BIOS limitation, please do NOT use Cel […]
Show full quote
Dant wrote:
Show full quote

WORKING:
NOT WORKING:

This is odd.
The only reason I can think of it might happen is there is some firmware on the card that dis-allows certain processors.
The only reason I can think of they might do that is to prevent overloading (over current) the pins in the CPU socket or maybe the traces on the adapter card.

That is just a WILD guess based on nothing so don't hammer me on it.

Reply 13 of 13, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:
This is odd. The only reason I can think of it might happen is there is some firmware on the card that dis-allows certain proces […]
Show full quote

This is odd.
The only reason I can think of it might happen is there is some firmware on the card that dis-allows certain processors.
The only reason I can think of they might do that is to prevent overloading (over current) the pins in the CPU socket or maybe the traces on the adapter card.

That is just a WILD guess based on nothing so don't hammer me on it.

Well, I found some P3-S 1266mhz CPUs for really cheap, and I've got them on order. We'll try this again and see how it goes...