VOGONS

First post, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently added a Promise SATA300 TX2 Plus card (two SATA channels and an IDE channel) to a super socket 7 system I'm in the process of building. The ultimate goal is to have a dual boot setup with Windows 2000 on a SATA SSD and Windows 98SE on a compact flash card w/IDE adapter. Now, I already had Windows 98SE installed on the compact flash card and booting through the motherboard's primary IDE channel. Since I had the computer apart, I figured I would benchmark the card on both the on-board IDE and the Promise IDE. The testing was done in pure Windows 98SE DOS mode. I was very surprised at the differences!

Asus P5A on-board primary IDE:
Score 1933.99
Random Access Time: 0.46ms
Buffered Read Speed: 8254 KB/s
Linear Verify Speed: 59,980 KB/s
Linear Read Speed: 8074 KB/s

CF on MB.jpg
Filename
CF on MB.jpg
File size
133.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Promise SATA300 TX2 Plus:
Score 8214.60
Random Access Time: 0.90ms
Buffered Read Speed: 56,571 KB/s
Linear Verify Speed: 17,592 KB/s
Linear Read Speed: 26,430 KB/s

CF on Promise.jpg
Filename
CF on Promise.jpg
File size
133.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I get that the access time would be slightly slower on the Promise card, but I don't quite get the Linear Verify results. Otherwise: wow! 😲

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 1 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could be that the BIOS int13h code doesn't take full advantage of trhe UDMA support of the onboard chip, and the onboard BIOS for the Promise card does a better job. To really compare them you should run tests within Windows once all the drivers are installed and DMA is enabled.

Reply 2 of 17, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to revive but I have the exact same setup: a sata300 promise card on a S7 system with two "modern" 40gb sata drives connected and an ide cd drive hooked up tonthe pata port of the card. Problem 1: there's no cd drive in Windows 98SE although the card detects it at boot just fine ?

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 3 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no Win9x driver for the SATA II based Promise cards. You will need one of the SATA I -150 based cards if you want full speed in Win9x. There are also SATA II - 150 cards which also do not have drivers for Win9x.

You also will not get the optical drive showing up in Win9x with any of the SATA II cards.

In the end there really isn't any point for the SATA II cards on PCI unless you are RAID-ing them together or running a 66Mhz PCI bus since SATA I has more throughput available than the standard 33Mhz 32-bit PCI bus does.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 17, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow... this is really weird timing. I was just thinking about booting from a SATA card for one of my tester systems rather than using a convoluted series of adapters. In the end it'll probably still boot faster (the most important thing for a tester) without having to load a SATA card's BIOS, but it is very good to know that the actual transfer rate increase may be HUGE.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 17, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

There is no Win9x driver for the SATA II based Promise cards. You will need one of the SATA I -150 based cards if you want full speed in Win9x. There are also SATA II - 150 cards which also do not have drivers for Win9x.

You also will not get the optical drive showing up in Win9x with any of the SATA II cards.

In the end there really isn't any point for the SATA II cards on PCI unless you are RAID-ing them together or running a 66Mhz PCI bus since SATA I has more throughput available than the standard 33Mhz 32-bit PCI bus does.

The intent was not speed, but just having sata connectivity and an additional modern IDE. Drivers install fine, but am not sure they bring any benefit to the table..

Reply 7 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AzzKickr wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

The intent was not speed, but just having sata connectivity and an additional modern IDE. Drivers install fine, but am not sure they bring any benefit to the table..

What driver version? I was never able to find any for the Promise SATA II cards that work in Win9x. And Promise also doesn't claim compatibility with Win9x with their SATA II cards.

Could you upload the driver here if it isn't too big? If it is too big, then upload it to something like Google Drive and post a link here.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 17, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't know which specific revision I'm on now, but all Sata II 150 - 300 TX cards have Win9x compat.

Here's my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ptka1gx9xaq1qmg/AA … Wsvk1H-gna?dl=0

Reply 9 of 17, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The thing is though; I'm not sure they add any benefit. The system works just fine with the controller still as "unknown mass storage device" in device manager.

Reply 10 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AzzKickr wrote on 2019-03-31, 09:58:

The thing is though; I'm not sure they add any benefit. The system works just fine with the controller still as "unknown mass storage device" in device manager.

so to clarify with the drivers you linked above windows 98 will show the correct hardware under device manager? but it also works fine without them showing just a unknown device?

I need to know asap cause I'm about to buy one of these and want to know if it works on window 98

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 17, by Kasreyn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-16, 01:17:

so to clarify with the drivers you linked above windows 98 will show the correct hardware under device manager? but it also works fine without them showing just a unknown device?
I need to know asap cause I'm about to buy one of these and want to know if it works on window 98

I tested SATA 300 TX2plus in Win98, linked drivers in this thread look the same as "1.00.0.31 1.00.0.33 1.00.0.39" on Promise's site https://www.promise.com/support/downloadcenter
None of these mention Windows 98 support !

You have to look under SATA -> "SATA300 HBA Series" and find "SATA300 TX2 Plus". Don't be confused (like I was) and look under FastTrak, there's TX2plus but that's S150 !
The S150 driver installs just fine (despite being the wrong driver), no errors in device manager, but the drive will end up in DOS compatibility mode !

The SATA300 driver installs with warning ! "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed (Code 10)".
It will be in the same DOS compatibility mode (if you use Win98). No drives will populate in device manager but connected HDDs work just fine in DOS.

On my Pentium 2 this means a limit of about 8MB/s but with the benefit of very fast random reads (SSD). On the plus side it doesn't have the same blue screens I could see with SX4.
But yeah, you can be better off using the onboard IDE with SATA adapter where speeds can reach roughly 30MB/s (e.g. UDMA 33 as found on 440BX).

How does it perform with proper drivers then? Well, I tested sequential read/write using dd (KNOPPIX v9.1) and got roughly 20MB/s when using a block size of 4096.

So I think the answer is, just use one of these:
s-l1600.jpg

Reply 12 of 17, by Surrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have messed around with sata cards in some of my retro builds, except that I prefer to run Windows 95c.
There are no drivers that work for any Promise sata card in win95 that I could find.

My work around was to use a Promise PCI IDE133 card, which does have win95 drivers, then plug in a CF adapter directly into the IDE slot of the card.
This works fine, but watch the size of the CF drive you use.
I just picked up some IDE to SATA red adapters, that I can plug into the Promise IDE card, but havent tested them yet.

My Dell Dimension XPS M200s (430VX chipset P200mmx) locks up with any CF cards larger than 8gb, in the onboard IDE, or in the Promise card.

My Micron Millennia big tower (intel 440BX-2 motherboard PII-400) system handles 8gb CF cards fine in its onboard IDE or Promise PCI card.
A 32gb CF card locks the bios in the onboard socket, while working fine in the Promise card with its newer bios.
I'm not sure if the lockups are caused by the size of the CF card, of if because its so much newer, its somehow not compatible with the onboard bios.
The motherboards are using their final bios revisions, and the CF card is a Lexar x1066 type.

Reply 13 of 17, by Kasreyn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WinXP definitely is the better choice for a TX2plus. It raises the bar from UDMA 33 to about UDMA 100 on a 440BX !
Since it adds SATA, why not dual boot? Win98 can live on IDE while WinXP lives on SATA.
Boot into WinXP for fast (around 10MB/s) transfers, however, my 450 MHz CPU is bottlenecking transfers to about 100 Mbit so remove that Gbit NIC and save a PCI slot !

Strangely this card works best in Pentium II, I could not reach the same speeds on my Athlon XP machine.

A modern SSD increases performance for small files too, so this card has my recommendation.

SATA to IDE adapter ( limited to UDMA 33 by 440BX) + SATA HDD (Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS)
W9bJna4.png

TX2plus SATA + PNY CS900 SSD
Q96LgJt.png

Reply 14 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ended up trying a bunch of storage options (like a lot!) it ended up that a promise sata II tx4 300 with a SSD not only was the fastest option it also solved a lot of booting issues and worked great with windows ME and 7 on a k6-3+ and pentium MMX and 430tx/hx chipset

I even tested a m.2 nvme on a pci to pcie adapter. the mentioned card is where it's at for retro upgrades.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 15 of 17, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experiences with such cards is quite mixed. The Promise SATA 150 was the better built card compared to others common ones but the only reason to use them was to use a SSD disk without one the the many cheap adapters that might be more compatible but with their problems. Just looking at the one above attached, it's clear what's going to happen after a while moving around cables in the case. I had different IDE to SATA adapters (or the opposite) and the ones that worked (some didn't) was stressed on the connector solder points. One adapter ended up burning my PSU cables for who know eletric problems probably for the above reasons. So I'd use an adapter only if separated from both the mainboard and disk using two cables and with a stable and safe mount case position.
The PCI controllers instead were good but W9x had problems of corrupting data after a while sometimes, others I had problems with the DVD drive cause most of these seems not built for any CD/DVD bios booting even when with their own bios.

Reply 16 of 17, by cskamacska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AzzKickr wrote on 2019-03-31, 09:57:

Don't know which specific revision I'm on now, but all Sata II 150 - 300 TX cards have Win9x compat.

Here's my Dropbox:

Thank you for the download, the link still works fine in 2022!

While i would agree with the naysayer crowd that getting a Promise SATA1 150 generation card, that have official Win9x support out of the box, may be the best choice, but 20 years after the fact we use what we can..

And from the bunch of potential candidates (Silicon Image 3112/3114, 3132, 3512 and their LEGION of noname devices, straight up crapware VIA VT6421A and variations of it that filled PC shops around 2004, a load of PCI/PCI-X professional S-ATA RAID cards that work great under Win2K/XP/Linux but were never even intended to work under DOS/Win9x) 2nd generation Promise TX2/TX4 (and NOT NT only SX cards!) S-ATA cards should rate really really high on retro system builders to get lists. 😀

the loyal slave learns to love the lash

Reply 17 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cskamacska wrote on 2022-06-05, 04:04:
Thank you for the download, the link still works fine in 2022! […]
Show full quote
AzzKickr wrote on 2019-03-31, 09:57:

Here's my Dropbox:

Thank you for the download, the link still works fine in 2022!

While i would agree with the naysayer crowd that getting a Promise SATA1 150 generation card, that have official Win9x support out of the box, may be the best choice, but 20 years after the fact we use what we can..

And from the bunch of potential candidates (Silicon Image 3112/3114, 3132, 3512 and their LEGION of noname devices, straight up crapware VIA VT6421A and variations of it that filled PC shops around 2004, a load of PCI/PCI-X professional S-ATA RAID cards that work great under Win2K/XP/Linux but were never even intended to work under DOS/Win9x) 2nd generation Promise TX2/TX4 (and NOT NT only SX cards!) S-ATA cards should rate really really high on retro system builders to get lists. 😀

I have used my tx4 sata II with 9x/me

See if the right driver is here
download/file.php?id=138591

These are drivers I uploded to another post. Report back of they work

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-