VOGONS

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm interested to know what people's opinions are on these cards, and how they would rate them from best to worst.

The first one is a CT2230, the one with the empty CSP socket.
The second one is the CT2290. It seems fundamentally the same as the CT2230, and also has an empty CSP socket.
Finally, there's the CT2770 which is a Value version. No CSP Socket or wavetable header on this one.

In terms of Sound quality, which of the 3 cards are better? Is there any real difference between the CT2230 and CT2290?

Do these cards differ at all in terms of the hanging note bug? from what I've read, they all seem to be affected by "Type 2"
and not "Type 1".

Your opinions would be valued and much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 1 of 6, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently purchased a CT2230 because I wanted a SB16 with a genuine OPL3 and without the hanging note bug. I read on Vogons that the CT2290 has a CD jack whose placement could interfere with attaching a daughterboard. Because the *only* reason I wanted a SB16 was for using a full-height DB, I went with the CT2230. I have no experience with the CT2770.

I tested it with a Waveblaster II and a variety of games, including Hexen (using the -warp 02 test). Passed with flying colors.

I have to say that the CT2230 is much cleaner- and vibrant-sounding than my other two SB16s with OPL3, the CT1740 and CT1790. Both of those have the hanging note bug and sound noisier. I think that Creative may have gotten one right with the CT2230. I paid $18 shipped, a price that seemed fair to me.

Reply 2 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have both the 2230 and the 2290 and would say that they're both equally great. You can just yank the plastic surround off the CD-in if it gets in the way of your wavetable card.

They're a dime a dozen too which is a win.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies, so it looks like there's not much difference between the CT2230 and CT2290.

On my particular CT2290, there's only the smaller white CD-IN. The larger black one has been omitted just like on the CT2230. Not that I'll be using a daughterboard anyway.

I'm curious to know about the CT2770 though. Does it sound any better or worse than the other two cards? The only real downside I can see is the lack of daughterboard connector.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 5 of 6, by fportela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late reply, but I saw that your question was not answered. The only difference between CT2230 and CT2290 is the CDROM interface each of this cards provide. 2230 has multi CD (Panasonic, Sony, Mitsumi proprietary interfaces), much common in the CDROM´s first era ) while 2230 has only IDE (ATAPI) interface, wich happen to be omnipresent in every single PC after 1995.