VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to clone those hard disk to compactflash from a pentium pro glxpro computer hosting a gus and a sbawe32. It was a dualboot dos622/nt2000 computer, mainly using nt2000 to drive the emu8000 for midi and share the network for the dos fat16 partitions. dos622 is used to play mods, run demos and games. Actually, nt2000 didnt play well at all with the cheap chinese 8gb compact flash "removable only" devices. I took a look about how linux could deal with the emu8000 and gf-1 chip and was happily surprised to see that both are well supported and there is software to manage soundbank and mod players that use the soundcard synth. I never bothered considering linux to drive one of my old computer having a gus or awe32 soundcard as the demoscene seem pretty scarce and I must have be mislead into thinking that the output support to those cards was limited to software mixing.

So my question is, anyone have comments or recommendation about using a gus or a sb32 into linux, installing drivers, midi&mod players, soundbank manager, anything really...

I installed debian 8 and gnome up to now, I can see the sbawe32 and the gus classic in modprobe.

this http://www.alsa-project.org/~tiwai/awedrv.html and this https://internet.perex.cz/~perex/ultra/ seem interestings starting points. Regards.

Reply 1 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

debian8 + gnome3 ... laughting about a fool I was .... now I'm working with puppylinux : warypuppy. And the mga millenium do it's work. Interesting linux distro for that dual pentium pro 200mhz 256kb, 96mb ram edo ecc, it just work. It's magical! Joking, it's a chore to make that linux work, but at least it's decently work.

weird that I've got no reply to that... feel like it's compealing to run old hardware on old linux distro when there is direct hardware support for the gf1 and the emu8k. I heard there is mod players and soundbank manager, I cant wait to try them !

Reply 2 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

cannot fix boot problem about puppy linux, seem I cannot get away from the frugal system. Gave DamnSmallLinux a try and it worked good (some problem sharing grub on my non standard compact flash, but up to now it's fixed), I did a great DSL install on the "hdd", I'm eager to install snd-gusclassic and snd-awe on alsa! 😀

hey! Who am I talking to?

Reply 3 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've booted into Puppy from DOS using LOADLIN in the past. I think I'll set that up in the next short while. It has the virtue of not requiring a separate partition.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this time I'm trying debian Sarge with kernel 2.4 as I think ALSA didnt messed up too much OSS proxy emulation back then, so I could listen to GMOD and XMP with hardwared mixing 8') <- emoticon of a guy crying because he listen to hardware .MODs mixig playing back on his computer

for sample : xmp -F /dev/snd/seq vogons.669

Reply 6 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes I did it tonight ! just upgraded the kernel to 2.6 and not ze alsa stack get just into in place 😀 listening to hardware mod music on linux witth a gus and a awe32 with xmp is just breathtaking!

hey, just because a random /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf help me did it in a forum, here is mine for god sake, load gus classic and a sbpnp32 on Sarge with 2.6 kernel (important to upgrade) :

alias char-major-116-* snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-gusclassic
alias snd-card-1 snd-sbawe

options snd cards_limit=2

options snd-sbawe isapnp=0
options snd-sbawe port=0x220 irq=10 dma8=1 dma16=5 mpu_port=0x330 awe_port=0x620
options snd-gusclassic port=0x240 irq=5 dma1=6 dma2=7

alias char-major-14-* soundcore

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

Reply 7 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After some time and research I figure out that kernel 2.6 and ALSA was not the best to have linux to listen to all your modules music collection (and midi, and awe memory management, and x windows sound) so I decided to revert back to kernel 2.4 and OSS and I was never such happy in my life, so here is my /etc/modules (abstract) :

sound
soundcore

gus io=0x240 irq=7 dma=6 dma16=7
sb_lib
sb io=0x220 dma=1 dma16=5 irq=10 mpu_io=0x330 isapnp=0
opl3
awe_wave io=0x620 memsize=28672 isapnp=0

---
for now on I think I am a happy man

Reply 8 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

again, I've scraped it all, but now I think I found a good solution :
all my kernel 2.6 ALSA software where using the alsa-oss emulation, and nobody (gmod, mikmod, and so on...) where using ALSA ... so why bother ? I revert back kernel 2.4 using OSS, it took 2 secs to configure and now I have everything running, the emu8k synth, it's soundbank, the gravis ultrasound and every players...

of course the point of installing linux was to use the network to drop files for msdos6.22 wich suck big time at networking.

Reply 9 of 9, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a while, I know, but do you still have that setup? I'm trying to set up something similar with TinyCore 11.1 (kernel 5.4) on my Socket 7 Pentium MMX, and I'm having a bit of difficulty getting sound out of my non-PNP AWE32.