VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all 😀

I never imagined to have boxes of different computer parts. Now it's getting quite hard to find specific part... usually going through all the boxed only to find it on the shelf 🤣 It's a mess 😒

I thought a little and I guess it's a "painful" process. I should label everything with my own labels, put them in a marked box. Make pictures, get complete description/make/brand/model, make notes of testing and storage location. This is somewhat more then "simple" excel can handle.

The only thing catalogued are processors in a spreadsheet - around 80% as I only catalogued those that are in a box.

What do you use (excel, inventory apps, ...) or how do you manage your collections?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol, many of us have faced this exact issue at one time or another!
It's either the storage space or the way we store stuff.
I never bother with spreadsheets btw, to me this is only an extra unnecessary step.

Short story: Split up your collection and store similar things together in a labeled box. And store the labeled box on some spot that is logical to you.

But I've had several problems while my collection was getting bigger.

First of all I had to find an efficient way to store stuff and the best way to go is up! 😁
I ended up using only 1 type of cardboard box which could be opened from the top and kinda clicked onto each other so I can lift an entire stack without the boxes starting to slide. And these boxes are very sturdy and have no taped shut opening in the bottom, so no potential hazards there.

I ended up setting up these metal storage thingies with a couple shelves which are quite cheap and sturdy. As a bonus the shelves themselves were held into some metal L-shaped bar with the wooden shelf laying inside it, but as this L-shaped metal thing is very wide, it's also easy to put a sticker onto it so I can find my stuff faster.

And yet another problem I faced with an expanding collection was this:
At some point I had enough of any particular type of hardware so it would make sense to store these all together and labeled the box accordingly. But as new stuff kept coming in, the boxes became full and I had to use a second box, splitting up the contents of the single box. This was especially the case with graphics cards, which I split up according to it's connector (ISA, PCI, AGP, etc) or separate if I had many of them (for example Virges and all of those Geforce MX cards).

In the end I went with splitting AGP cards roughly according to their performance and not for example their generation (so no FX 5200 in the same box as an FX 5900 and the GF 6600 in another box) and I just labeled the boxes like "AGP 1" (fastest), "AGP 2" (bit slower) all the way to "AGP 5" or so (slowest, but still of some use) and all the really crappy AGP cards I put in another separate box labeled "AGP crappy" and hid that way behind all the more useful stuff. On the same ID-sticker "AGP 2" I'll write down 1 or 2 cards that are roughly designated for that box (like GF4, so I'll know this box has graphics cards with similar specs to a GF4) and it's much faster this way.

So sometimes I'll have to rearrange stuff, but this is fairly easy as it's pretty straight forward and quick.

I also label each card individually, but only if it was tested or not (usually on a little piece of "masking tape" as stickers have the tendency to let go after a while). A curly mark means it did display an image, x-mark that it failed to display an image when last tested, the name of the computer I removed it from (so I'll remember that it worked perfectly in a working rig, including heavy usage) and sometimes also how I got it and when.
This way I don't need to keep records as these always tend to get lost after a while, leaving me with a big stack of potential problems 😜

Motherboards I store and sort by their CPU sockets and AT or ATX, stack of 486 boards start at the right and at the left are the most modern boards. Again, the shelves the stacks are stored on are labeled by their CPU socket and the motherboard boxes are mostly labeled. Inside I keep sheets of paper with things about the motherboards I noticed, like when I got it and in what condition if applicable, but also if I ever tested or used it and if not, if I ever noticed something damaged like a broken trace or burn marks.

So basically I store similar things together and all the records are kept close to the actual piece of hardware itself.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 13, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been writing this to keep track of my stuff: http://pcb.vogonswiki.com/ will continue to add features as I get time 😀

Open for anyone to use.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 3 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote:

I've been writing this to keep track of my stuff: http://pcb.vogonswiki.com/ will continue to add features as I get time 😀

Open for anyone to use.

Hmm..seems I misplaced my login 🤣..woops

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently went through the same process of cataloguing all my PC parts and numerous games/software that I've accumulated/bought over the years.

Since I don't have that many parts, I just put all the parts in a couple of boxes and labeled each box with a number.
I then typed out in Word (with a detailed description and its working status) what the contents of each box was.
If you don't change the contents of a box, then you can also print out the Word document and put it inside or on the side of the box for easy reference.

However, I will probably, in the near future, have to look at a more efficient way of storing all these parts (like the site being mentioned above).

Reply 6 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have an inventory, but I have storage boxes which are labelled by what they contain. Has worked very well and I quickly find whatever I need.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to have similar difficulties but recently got everything organized. Numbered standardized boxes indexed with text file lists.

The only things that are still unboxed are hard drives and PSUs.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this is going to be even harder then I thought. Small steps, box by box... as just by looking at ~30 boxes I get demotivated 😠

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 13, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Since my collection is small to begin with, I have an easy time sorting everything. Video in one box, sound in another, hard drives go to another, etc. CD/DVD-ROMS and external modems stay in their own boxes (don't have any spare cases 😀 ). Small items like CPUs and memory all go in one box, properly separated. Ancillaries like cables and screws all get bagged and placed in yet another box for now (I'm going to change this soon). Antistatic bags are used where needed. All boxes are labeled with black marker so I know what's where. Manuals, install guides, anything on paper goes to a bookshelf (manila folders for any loose sheets), most have been scanned to keep digital copies. That's it.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yeah bags, those heavy duty gardening bags are just perfect for cables. I have one each for power cables, AV cables, telecom cables and transformers.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, to me it all comes down to sorting and labeling 😁

And yes, for heavy duty bags I use these durable supermarket bags which also come in handy when I need to move around lots of smaller items.

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have various boxes. One for the rare stuff, one motherboards, one for generic cards, one for data-cables and so on.
I know what I have, in the back of my head, so no need for a program or spreadsheet on this.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

I have various boxes. One for the rare stuff, one motherboards, one for generic cards, one for data-cables and so on.
I know what I have, in the back of my head, so no need for a program or spreadsheet on this.

I agree.

Btw, wouldn't it be interesting and perhaps also useful for someone to write an article on Vogonswiki about managing a growing retrocomputing collection?
Because in the end, we all seem to do very similar things and there seem to be very few optimal universal solutions, mostly based on personal preference.

I believe the subject of organizing a retro computing collection deserves a topic on it's own btw, I'll go create one now if no one has any objections 😁
And feel free to chime in 😀

edit: Topic created here Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)

Report spammers here!