VOGONS

PCI to PCIe x1 adapter

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone tried one of these in an older PC?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16815158190

I ordered one this morning and am going to get a Zotac GT730 PCIe x1 video card and see if it works.

https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/gt-730-pcie-x1

This is the 384 CUDA core version of the GT730 and not the 96 CUDA core version that is basically the same as a GT430. It should be a lot faster and it may be the new best solution for people with nothing but PCI slots on their motherboards.

Reply 1 of 27, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting - let us know if it works.

Just be aware that if you compare the bus speeds, PCI-E 1.0 x1 (what the adapter is) at 250MB/sec is actually a little slower than AGP 1x (266MB/sec). Once you put that through a normal PCI slot, that maximum speed drops to 133MB/sec.

I'm not sure how this would affect the card's performance, but presumably anything that has to go between the CPU/RAM and the card would run at half the speed of native PCI-E 1.0 1x, or AGP 1x.

But it would certainly seem to be a cheaper way of getting HDMI/DisplayPort output from an older PC. I wonder what DOS support is like? Can you run CGA/EGA games with a card like this?

Reply 2 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

Interesting - let us know if it works.

Just be aware that if you compare the bus speeds, PCI-E 1.0 x1 (what the adapter is) at 250MB/sec is actually a little slower than AGP 1x (266MB/sec). Once you put that through a normal PCI slot, that maximum speed drops to 133MB/sec.

^+1
And with PCI conventional the 133MB/s max bandwidth is shared by everything on the bus.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 3 of 27, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are also x16 to PCI Adapters.
So you can use cheaper PCIe Cards.
It just works, i used one in a Dual PIII even a 8800GT works with it.
Games that do heavy textures streaming will bottlenecked by PCI.
Others will just work fine only loading will take a few seconds longer..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 27, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:
There are also x16 to PCI Adapters. So you can use cheaper PCIe Cards. It just works, i used one in a Dual PIII even a 8800GT wo […]
Show full quote

On that note... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQuZE1jYIpo

Still, I'm kinda interested to see how well a x1 card works, if at all, in something like a P-III.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:
There are also x16 to PCI Adapters. So you can use cheaper PCIe Cards. It just works, i used one in a Dual PIII even a 8800GT wo […]
Show full quote

I figured a PCIe x1 card would be bottlenecked already. Putting a PCIe x16 card on the PCI bus would be just as slow even if you used a high end card like a Titan.

Reply 6 of 27, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an 8400GS with the bridge chip built in the PCB (x1 1.0 to PCI 32bit), and for some games it works as you expect (for a 8400GS) but for a lot of them the PCI bottleneck is quite bad, so I wouldn't recommend using one, it managed to be slower than a voodoo 4500 (native PCI) in some tests.

also, some PCIE cards can pull 75W just from the slot alone, and these adapters are normally not built for VGAs/high power usage cards, it can be a problem.

Reply 7 of 27, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

x16 cards can pull 75W, x1 cards are limited to 25W (and most of them are actually 10W). 25W is within the spec of PCI, so the slot can provide it, but not more than that. Therefore, it is probably safer to stay within the realms of PCIe x1 to PCI. As you said, there are no practical benefits otherwise.

Actually, I am pretty sure that even those x16 PCIe to PCI adapters, or at least the reasonable ones, are electrically just x1. Meaning, the extra pins are not connected, and any card you put there will run electrically as x1.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Actually, I am pretty sure that even those x16 PCIe to PCI adapters, or at least the reasonable ones, are electrically just x1. Meaning, the extra pins are not connected, and any card you put there will run electrically as x1.

I also believe this is true. - The x16 plastic allows more cards to physically fit but it doesn't add any more lanes.
The PCI-E to PCI conventional adapters are not really intended for video cards. More for things like SATA or USB add-in cards.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 11 of 27, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how this thing would possibly work, software wise. Even my AGP Radeon HD3850 needs a special driver to cope with its PCIe-AGP bridge, and it's a factory designed & built card specifically made to do that. Is there a driver for this that does the bus translation in software or what?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12 of 27, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how this thing would possibly work, software wise. Even my AGP Radeon HD3850 needs a special driver to cope with its PCIe-AGP bridge, and it's a factory designed & built card specifically made to do that. Is there a driver for this that does the bus translation in software or what?

the VGA driver sees the card as running PCIE x1, it's a lot simpler than the PCIE to AGP stuff, there is no special driver required (the bridge chip have it's own driver but windows should install it with no problem, I actually had a few problems with the bridge chip on win7/8.1, but 0 problems on XP and 10)

also, I've seen people doing the opposite, using an adapter to run a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI on a PCIE slot also with no problems (with the intent to force PCI 66MHz speeds)

Reply 13 of 27, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there are x16 Adapters with additional Power Connector, of you can add it yourself.
So this is no issue.
The Mainreason for using a 8400GS whas to add video encoding in hardware to Atom Like platforms
And PCI had enough bandwith for encoding video streams 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 14 of 27, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:
there are x16 Adapters with additional Power Connector, of you can add it yourself. So this is no issue. The Mainreason for usin […]
Show full quote

there are x16 Adapters with additional Power Connector, of you can add it yourself.
So this is no issue.
The Mainreason for using a 8400GS whas to add video encoding in hardware to Atom Like platforms
And PCI had enough bandwith for encoding video streams 😀

yes, the video acceleration works well for some softwares, but not all, some will hit the PCI bottleneck really hard, like trying to watch a video on the web browser is quite bad (even with a fast CPU)

but when it all works, you can run HD h264 videos with a low clocked pentium 3.

Reply 16 of 27, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And even many modern PCI Cards don't work in old PCI Slots..

Including Radeon 7000 and GeForce 2

Reply 17 of 27, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

So this suggests that large amounts of video memory (over 1GB) is a concern. I do have a 1GB GTX650ti, 768MB 8800GTX and 640MB 8800GTS laying around, might order one of these adapters and see how well they might perform with my P3 or even P166 system 😎

Would be nice to see how those stack up against Voodoo's 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 18 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:
Sutekh94 wrote:

So this suggests that large amounts of video memory (over 1GB) is a concern.

How so. I don't see anything at all that suggests that.

Reply 19 of 27, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Munx wrote:
Sutekh94 wrote:

So this suggests that large amounts of video memory (over 1GB) is a concern.

How so. I don't see anything at all that suggests that.

Just rewatched the video and I cant seem to find it either, maybe its just something I thought to myself the first time I saw it 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4