VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
are there any x86 tech demo developed for 286 and 386 cpu generation that actually has/had better graphic/sound that the time correct games? Or the various Wolf3d,Doom but also Stunts, Test Drive 3 etc.. already pushed native Dos time correct hardware already to its limits?
Thank

Reply 4 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Legend demo was quite impressive, considering it could be run on a 286.
Other demos you could also look at are Future Crew's Unreal, Panic & Second Reality (although, the latter was actually meant to be run on a fast 486). These demos will run on a fast 386 PC, but they do slow down if you also run it with a Sound Blaster at 20 KHz. This is where you will benefit from having a Gravis Ultrasound.

Reply 5 of 8, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about full-motion video with audio on an 8088? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWdG413nNkI

Yeah, not quite the time period you're looking for, but still damn impressive. I don't know of any others off the top of my head specifically for the 286/386, but now you got me curious! I'll have to poke around after work to see what I can find.

Reply 6 of 8, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Triton's Crystal Dream will run on a 286, and Crystal Dream 2 will run on a 386.
I recall Majic 12 also doing some nice 386 stuff.
Then there's UltraForce's Vectordemo, which is fine on a 286.
And some of the Cascada productions should also run nicely on a 386 at least.
Oh, and Renaissance is also worth checking out.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 7 of 8, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first commanche games had also a impressive graphics for it's time. Remember seeing it for the first time on a 80386 back in the day. And couldn't believe that it was an actual game and not a demo.

Reply 8 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have captured a few old dos demos in my youtube channel.
However you can also get good quality here ftp://78.46.141.148/videos/ (but no description)
If you look for the actual binaries go to www.pouet.net

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool