VOGONS

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where talking about year 2000 in the 3d graphic's section for windows 98, whats your experince with it?
the computer is over 700 Mhz.

Reply 1 of 36, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Geforce 2 mx, geforce 4mx, A Voodoo3 pci card would be great. These are the most common suggestions I see around here for that kind of setup. I think you would need to play around figuring out what drivers are best but an fx5200 would also work OK. Good luck finding a 128bit version and not the 64bit that is super common and weak.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 36, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 4MX. Easy to find and cheap. Probably no other card with better bang for the buck from that time period than that. If you want to move forward a year or two, and if you can find one, a Radeon 9100 PCI brings DX8 to the table for a reasonable price. The GeForce FX5600 PCI brings DX9 and runs it at a playable speed unlike the FX5200 and FX5500. The problem is finding one. I've seen only one for sale on ebay UK in the years since they went out of production.

Reply 3 of 36, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why is AGP not an option? With a computer THAT fast from that time period I'm surprised it wouldn't have an AGP slot. :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 36, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My friend had a Gateway Pentium 3 733MHz that only had onboard intel video and PCI. He ended up getting a Voodoo 4 4500 PCI for it. Much much better than the onboard video and one of the better PCI options at the time.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 5 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Why is AGP not an option? With a computer THAT fast from that time period I'm surprised it wouldn't have an AGP slot. 😮

They exist, but I admit that it's rare.

Got some Socket A board made by Matsonic(?) which doesn't feature an AGP slot (why?!?).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 36, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

Why is AGP not an option? With a computer THAT fast from that time period I'm surprised it wouldn't have an AGP slot. 😮

The sheer amount of 478 motherboards I have scrapped because they either have empty solder points where the AGP slot should be or were designed with no sign of AGP whatsoever is just amazing. Gateway, Compaq, Dell, and Emachines usually with 533fsb Northwoods w/o HT. The worst example is an ASUS motherboard I have that supports the 3.4ghz EE Gallatin chip, is matx, has 6 port audio, 4 ram slots, and lacks AGP. Talk about wasted potential 🤣.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 36, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nic-93 wrote:

It does have a agp, but that one is reserved for a freaking dial up modem, aint there an adapater?
to make the agp big enough to it can have a graphic's card.

It is problably AMR / CNR connector - not AGP.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 9 of 36, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^+1 yep, the most useless connector of all time IMHO.

Reply 10 of 36, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

from the more common cards I think the FX 5200 would be a good choice.

if you have as slower CPU, wants to play some glide games I kind of like the V4 4500 PCI that I have, but the GPU is not as good as a geforce 2 and compatibility on DOS is not perfect for me at least (artifacts, horizontal lines on lower res)

Reply 11 of 36, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep the FX5200 would your best value option, you could also get the FX5500 but the only difference is a 20mhz bump on the cpu which would make SWFA difference(270 vs 250).

If you got lucky (like me) you might find an ATI 9100 but these are extremely rare, ill have to do some testing to see whether theirs much difference between it and the FX5500/6200.

Reply 14 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

Speaking of graphics card's would windows 98 be to new for a voodoo 1 card?

Not really I think, it's more dependent on which games you choose to play and which hardware you pick to build around your Voodoo 1.
The thing is that with building retro computers, there aren't really any limits set in stone, you can build anything you want provided you have the hareware available.

Personally I'd use something like a Pentium 1 MMX class CPU for a Voodoo 1 (perhaps with an ISA sound card for DOS).

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

This one is a intel celeron edition of a retro computer, it wont have a problem with that then?

It will help us a lot if you give us additional info, like the model number of your motherboard and other details like CPU-type and CPU clock frequency.
Pics would also help 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 36, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

They exist, but I admit that it's rare.

Got some Socket A board made by Matsonic(?) which doesn't feature an AGP slot (why?!?).

It's because the onboard video is using up AGP (which is integrated and is not a slot) so it could use (slow) system RAM, and you can only have single AGP

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 18 of 36, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

This one is a intel celeron edition of a retro computer, it wont have a problem with that then?

It will help us a lot if you give us additional info, like the model number of your motherboard and other details like CPU-type and CPU clock frequency.
Pics would also help 😀

Uh, is there a program wich can do those things telling out what the computer is?

Reply 19 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

Pics would also help 😀

Uh, is there a program wich can do those things telling out what the computer is?

The best way is to look inside and see for yourself, because programs can always be wrong and take longer.
And when working with retro computers, there's virtually no way you can do that without actually knowing the insides of your system...I'd say it's almost mandatory 🤣!

If you don't know what you're looking at, then take a couple pics and upload them here.

Report spammers here!