VOGONS

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a boo boo... yesterday I tested out some co-pro's on one of my main rigs... and I tested one of the co-pro's which had a missing pin (this I did not notice until after the event). With this co-pro installed on the board, I found it could not complete POST and instead hung after the memory count...

1cc843459456982.jpg

At this point I obviously took out the FPU and proceeded to reboot to the same scene. 😐

If i'm quick I can still catch and enter the bios, where I can reset the bios 'power on' and 'hardware' defaults etc... unplugging physically the bios chip and reseating it back on to the board.

Looking at the board there is no obvious damage... but following the traces from the co-pro socket leads me to a nearby socket mounted IC...

145ec4459459219.jpg

... which I may pursue next as I look to revive the board.

Has anyone encountered the stuck on "wait....." ? did you resolve and /or find out what the problem was?

Anyone any suggestions even?

Thanks in advance.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see how the missing pin on the FPU could possibly cause any damage to the board. Are you sure you didn't insert it in the wrong direction?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 19, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I don't see how the missing pin on the FPU could possibly cause any damage to the board. Are you sure you didn't insert it in the wrong direction?

Only if the orientation mark on the chip is wrong... I always align the cut-off corner with FPU cut-off corner or the dot if it has this instead.

I'm wondering if I can bypass the "wait....", whilst I look to find a spare of that IC.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 3 of 19, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Definitely the right direction...

aed61b459478458.jpg

Reply 5 of 19, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remove all the cards except VGA and also disable all the IDE and floppys in BIOS and memory cache.

You should wait till some error pops up - around a minute.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 19, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That IC is a 74244 buffer, should be easy to find if you do decide to replace it. 74 logic is very common, has been around for years and probably isn't going away any time soon.

For example; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IC-BUFF-DVR-TRI-ST- … aIAAOxy4YdTPxiu

Should give you an idea what you are looking for. Though I'm not sure how a missing pin would break something permanently, I suppose it isn't outside of the realms of possibility. If something was allowed to float high who knows what might have happened and to figure it out would be a long winded exercise requiring intimate knowledge of the internal workings of the chips - I guess maybe some freak occurrence could let the diode protection leak a certain way or something...

Whatever, kixs has the right idea here. Some BIOS has upwards of a 2 minute wait time, so just set the machine off going and go do something else for a while, it will either have failed to boot (implying it can't find a problem) or else will have thrown up an error message by the time you return. At least, assuming all goes to plan.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7 of 19, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the tips and pointers.

Yea, I removed all cards except VGA, cleared the CMOS... and waited, and waited. I left the screen like this for up to 10-20 mins at a time still to no avail. One time I did get a message though whilst pressing F1 but it only happened the once and was something to do with "memory size error".

I'm just thinking now that maybe the bios may be corrupt and to maybe pull from another board and try a new 386 AMI bios? If in the rare chance someone recognizes this particular bios let me please know as I could request a copy of it.

55cc28461140195.jpg

Really strange how a co-pro with a missing pin can cause so much trouble.

Reply 8 of 19, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok... time for an update.

Since the last post I have; -

1) Tried a new Bios ROM
2) New buffering IC
3) and a new 386 CPU

All 3 of these replacements make no change and the board still hangs at "Wait..." 🙁

But... when I clear the CMOS, it will go passed the waiting to give a message "CMOS battery low" and looks for (f1) to be pressed (to enter the bios). Once I save changes and exit... it hangs at "Wait...) again!

I'm getting stumped on this and fresh ideas would be appreciated.

Reply 9 of 19, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only other thing I can think to do is to find where the missing pin would be on the socket and follow the trace to see where it goes... hopefully leading to where the problem may be (if it is a hardware issue).

Reply 10 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder what that missing pin may have been for, I hope that you get it working so that people in the future can have something to reference if they get this problem. Have you tried replacing them ram by chance? I amazed how often the ram acts up on the boards with all kinds of strange out of the blue issues.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 19, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

maybe the CMOS SRam has a defect ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 12 of 19, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What was the replacement buffer type? The original was 74F so chances are other types can be too slow or too fast or otherwise electrically noncompatible.

Reply 13 of 19, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with Jepael, a 74F ic must be replaced with a 74F, but I doubt that's the problem here anyway.
There is some information lacking here that could help though.

1. A photo of the chip with the missing pin clearly displayed
2. The Brand and model of Motherboard, or full layout photo will suffice

You haven't possibly changed any jumpers as far as FPU configuration is concerned?

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 14 of 19, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brilliant... the board is now fully POST'ing!

I'd have to say... there is a mixture here of human error at play here 😁 / and lack of information about this board online (i.e. no jumpers avail).

From my part... I've always had an FPU installed on this board since I got it, and since then I've never been able to find jumper config info online anywhere. So when recently I decided to test a bunch of FPU's I'd bought... it was the first time I'd run it without an FPU and getting to this endless "Wait..." state. The one time I did try an FPU back in the socket... I of course had the damn thing software disabled in the bios! 😊

In fairness, I had been toggling the FPU on/off using the option in the bios to troubleshoot (with no FPU installed!)... and did try all the jumpers I could see in the vicinity just in case, to no avail... so to me it looked as if I had covered all FPU configuration options... until last night!

There is a sneaky solitary jumper that eluded me all the way over on the other side of the board by the RAM banks... how / why this is on the the other side of the board I do not know, but I had already removed & inserted jumpers into everything and anything around the bios, FPU & CPU socket which did squat! This one, did the job.

I am extremely happy now to have it working again, and that there are no internal shorts anywhere... (that would not be fantastic).

Thanks to everyone for your help... it is much appreciated.

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2016-02-23, 07:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 19, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news!

Can You still post a photo of the whole board? You never know, someone here may find some technical information somewhere out there.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 16 of 19, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

Good news!

Can You still post a photo of the whole board? You never know, someone here may find some technical information somewhere out there.

I managed to find a decent stock photo courtesy of Amoretro; -

5cddb7466990596.jpg

I have searched far and wide... but there is little to no information on this board anywhere.

Reply 17 of 19, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this might be it, definitely the closest I can find anyway.

http://www.arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/P-R/32794.htm

Reply 18 of 19, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

I think this might be it, definitely the closest I can find anyway.

http://www.arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/P-R/32794.htm

That's great! Thanks for posting... I think it pretty much is the same board.

I had only the siikscreen to go by as search parameters... though they served more as a decoy.

A working board and now jumper config... brilliant! 😁

Thanks again

Reply 19 of 19, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately the page is still missing the W6 jumper function at the bottom, below the FPU. My best guess is that it toggles between socketed CPU and PQFP soldered CPU.