VOGONS

First post, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys.

Recently started experimenting with putting Windows 3 on my '86 AMSTRAD PC1512DD. I can install and use it, even though it is obviously limited. But I can't get the mouse to work. The machine does not use ps/2 standard or serial but it's own type of bus. The DOS driver works fine, but none of the Windows ones in the list work. I could use a serial mouse but currently don't have a 25 to 9 pin converter.

Has anyone had experience with using the original Amstrad mouse with Windows???

Thanks in advance.

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 1 of 3, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good luck with that! I remember the peculiar mouse from the PC1640.
You should probably look for the serial converter. Since there is not much point running Windows on that machine I doubt anyone spent much energy to make it work.
The included GEM was a pretty good match for the machine. Windows 3 would probably use the CGA driver on the machine so black & white only? And then 512kB RAM and only floppy drives. But as you wrote you are experimenting.

Reply 2 of 3, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have my first PC - a PC1640. I've always wondered how the mouse appeared to the system. I'm surprised Win 3 can't use a DOS mouse driver, as the Amstrad driver provides standard int 33 services.

Reply 3 of 3, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, thanks for the reply.

Yes indeed, I knew it would be a long shot especially as the system comes with it's own GUI interface.

My particular machine has been upgraded to 640k of RAM, and I am using a 30mb CF card hard disc interface to replace the 20mb MFM drive that was in there. (The only problem being I can no longer hear when the machine is actually doing anything when loading things-heh!)

I've messed about with the supplied drivers on the Windows installation under the hope, but increased doubt that it might work. But of course, they don't.

I only tried Win3 to see if it would work, and what it would look like if it did. You're right though, there's little to actually accomplish in doing so. 😎 😎

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊