VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

doing some experimenting with a 7800 GS in my duel tualatin machine. first off I know its overkill and wasted power, not the point.

I'm having some driver issues though. can anyone recommend XP drivers? I tried the newest 307.83 and with those Windows locks up after XP screen, Also tried 93.71 and those seem to work fine until I try to run anything then my PC freezes up. 3dmark 2001 and 2003 lock up on starting with these drivers.

windows default generic VGA drivers seem to work fine for mundane things and thinks like 3dmark actually start up with these drivers but of course the video card isn't detected so they cant really test anything.

Reply 1 of 37, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried other drivers than these two? I was thinking that if you were really unlucky, you have choosen the two worst drivers of them all. 🤣
(Just kidding 😁 )

Anyway.
Download those that can be found around the internet, try them all, and test by installing the right Direct-X (I was thinking in terms of what the card is build for).

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Have you tried other drivers than these two? I was thinking that if you were really unlucky, you have choosen the two worst driv […]
Show full quote

Have you tried other drivers than these two? I was thinking that if you were really unlucky, you have choosen the two worst drivers of them all. 🤣
(Just kidding 😁 )

Anyway.
Download those that can be found around the internet, try them all, and test by installing the right Direct-X (I was thinking in terms of what the card is build for).

yhea, thats what i'm doing ATM, theres a lot of driver versions though so I was just hoping someone here could point me to one they possibly use that works.

Reply 3 of 37, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm running the 93.71's on my 7800GS+ and they seem to work just fine. See here: Artex's Build of the Week - "Always Bet On Black"

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

I'm running the 93.71's on my 7800GS+ and they seem to work just fine. See here: Artex's Build of the Week - "Always Bet On Black"

hmm, so far every driver I try I either get no boot up to XP or it seems to work fine untill I try to run a program and then it freezes.

Is there a BIOS option I need to be looking at? I already disabled AGP fast write (I had to, wouldnt boot into XP with it on)

Reply 5 of 37, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was actually gonna suggest disabling fast-writes as well. Not sure - mine 'just works.' You think it's anything to do with the dual-proc setup?

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6 of 37, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the card confirmed working?

I recommend testing it in something newer, like a Pentium 4.

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2016-01-18, 21:52. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

you know i'm thinking the card IS defective. bummer.

I went into BIOS and disabled agp x4 and now programs run. unfortunately they are all distorted and messed up. its hard to explain, you can still tell whats going on but textures are missing or "mangled". 3dmark 2003 is actually kind of funny. looks like skeletons of planes flying around fighting.

On the desktop though everything looks just fine.

I did a quick capture of one of the more amusing tests. sorry for the low res. captured with an external elgato and didn't take time to adjust any settings. https://youtu.be/qnykiXyO_Bo

Reply 8 of 37, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with phil - definitely try it with a later board with a more contemporary AGP chipset of it's era, just to make sure where the problem lies.

Is this dual P3 a VIA chipset? I got artifacting like that when I tried a 7600GS on a VIA 694X MP. I don't remember if I ever tried it on the 694T but I bet it's the same. The card was good elsewhere (nForce2 and i865 both worked).
These cards are Express->AGP bridged, so I think that contributes to them being more selective about what they work with.

You could try underclocking the card on the VIA. I never tried that, I don't know if it helps.
I wonder if it would work if AGP functionality was disabled altogether and it ran as a PCI card. I had a weird situation like that with a faulty Ti4200 - if I didn't install the AGP drivers it would work fine, but AGP caused it to break.

Reply 9 of 37, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:
you know i'm thinking the card IS defective. bummer. […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

you know i'm thinking the card IS defective. bummer.

I went into BIOS and disabled agp x4 and now programs run. unfortunately they are all distorted and messed up. its hard to explain, you can still tell whats going on but textures are missing or "mangled". 3dmark 2003 is actually kind of funny. looks like skeletons of planes flying around fighting.

On the desktop though everything looks just fine.

I did a quick capture of one of the more amusing tests. sorry for the low res. captured with an external elgato and didn't take time to adjust any settings. https://youtu.be/qnykiXyO_Bo

Seen that exact failure before. Just can't pinpoint it at the moment. 🙁
As of now, I am thinking it might be something hardware related. Just not shure, can't remember it. (stupid brain)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whelp, it was the motherboard. pulled the card and stuck it in a late socket A motherboard with a agp x8 slot and the cards running like a champ. no graphical glitches running the benches.

next closest AGP card I have is a geforce FX 5200. I know that card gets bad rap but is it enough to max out the 1.4ghz tully?

Reply 11 of 37, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FX5200 won't cut it I'm afraid. Even a mx440 is more powerful. Something like a Ti4200 is a good match. If You need dx9 then look at high
end Fx series or Ati 9600 - 9800.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 12 of 37, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A FX 5200 should not be weaker than an MX 440 unless its one of the handicapped 64-bit ones... Though given how common those were yours probably is one of them.
And yeah, the Ti 4200 is better if you are not using AA/AF, if you do they are pretty close in performance according to what I've read.

Reply 13 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm, what about a geforce 6? their native agp so they shouldn't give the same problem as the 7800 I would hope. my chipset is indeed VIA though and I read in the wiki article that the 6 series may have issues with VIA chipsets

Reply 14 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

hmm, what about a geforce 6? their native agp so they shouldn't give the same problem as the 7800 I would hope. my chipset is indeed VIA though and I read in the wiki article that the 6 series may have issues with VIA chipsets

I thought GF6600 did have a bridge chip, but I haven't seen the GF6600s used in many rigs here on Vogons so this card might not be as appealing anyway.
For Tualatin rigs I probably wouldn't bother with DX9 anyway though, I can use a P4/sA/A64 build for that 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

I thought GF6600 did have a bridge chip, but I haven't seen the GF6600s used in many rigs here on Vogons so this card might not be as appealing anyway.
For Tualatin rigs I probably wouldn't bother with DX9 anyway though, I can use a P4/sA/A64 build for that 😀

I agree about the dx9 thing but it was mostly just a project to see the most powerful agp card that would work with this machine rather then a practical project. As for the 6 series from what I've read they are native agp and its actually the pcie versions that use a bridge chip. Your right about not many members here using them. At least I havnt noticed much. AFAIK they are the last geforce cards to support win98 so I'm suprised they don't turn up more in 98 hot rods.

Reply 17 of 37, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The bridge chips go both ways in the nVidia 6xxx generation.

The 6600GT is native Express with a bridge chip for AGP (I'm sure of this, I have one). I think other 6600 variants are the same way.

The 6800GT is native AGP. I think the same is true of all the other 6800 variants. These were the most powerful native AGP cards that nVidia made, but I'm not sure exactly which version is supposed to be the ultimate. "6800 Ultra" I think, but maybe there's something else above that, I'm not really sure.
I don't know what the most powerful native AGP ATI cards were. I think they made that transition in the X800/X850 generation.

I don't know how the 6800GT/Ultra behaves with VIA. Since it's native AGP I would think it works, but I don't have one so I've never tried it. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6600GT has problems though, since those are bridged.

Reply 18 of 37, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it's like this for AGP: (AMD) HD3850 AGP > (NVidia) Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ AGP > (NVidia) 7800GS AGP > (NVidia) 6800 Ultra APG > (NVidia) 6800 GT AGP

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 19 of 37, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

I think it's like this for AGP: (AMD) HD3850 AGP > (NVidia) Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ AGP > (NVidia) 7800GS AGP > (NVidia) 6800 Ultra APG > (NVidia) 6800 GT AGP

What about the HD4670 inbetween all of these?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes